Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya wanna look at it or hunt with it? laugh

Wood and blue have a beauty I like, yet I way prefer stainless for most of my hunting. East of the coast range predator hunting in cold winters, blue and wood is what I use with no thought to wet. But hunting blacktails or Roosevelts in places like Vancouver Island or the Olympic Peninsula, it is stainless for me.

Yes, stainless will rust, and will rust pretty fast, but nothing like blued steel. I have field tested those comments.

I have a custom rifle in swirly walnut and smooooth blue barrel. It is a shame what that thing looks like now after years of backpack hunts for a week or so in rain and snow, and how beat up it is and needing a refinish. It is retired from such hunts and stainless synthetic has replaced it. We hunt for days on end in the rain and if camping the rifles stay outside overnights. Except in freeze/thaw cycles when it takes some internal drying to keep the trigger/action functioning, I'm not gonna dry and wipe and do much waterproofing etc. till I get home or maybe even till the end of the season. Stainless give more margin is all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now days my favorite rifles are the Kimber Montana. I recently bought 2 CZ 455s in synthetic and stainless. And searched out a Winchester Classic stainless synthetic in 375 H&H.

In 1991, before stainless was common, I had my M77 25-06 Tefloned and bedded in a Brown Precision stock.

I had a walnut, blued action, stainless barrel 22-250. It is now Cerakoted desert tan in a brown spiderweb tan Wildcat stock. My 17 Fireball is a Remington Model 7 Predator. Camo painted metal and a fairly stiff Tupperware stock.

My shotguns are synthetic stocked. 50% of my handguns are stainless, mostly rubber gripped.

My preference is stainless synthetic.

I could be swayed to blued walnut if someone were to buy me a Heym Martini, or a new Maurer 98, or Rigby, or a Holland and Holkand. šŸ˜‰

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Listening to this lot it's a miracle the west was ever settled or that our soldiers ever survived the two world wars with their blue steel wood stocked rifles. Course they didn't use their guns as hard a ya'll do.

Bottom line...they both need to be maintained and either one will last you a lifetime if you do.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I switched to all stainless rifles a decade ago, the blued ones stay at home looking pretty.

I donā€™t care how they do it out west.

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have both but like the blued.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Listening to this lot it's a miracle the west was ever settled or that our soldiers ever survived the two world wars with their blue steel wood stocked rifles. Course they didn't use their guns as hard a ya'll do.

Bottom line...they both need to be maintained and either one will last you a lifetime if you do.

Right? Still can't figure why we've moved away from prop planes for warfare, celestial navigation or fallen for Polio vaccines.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like SS simply because it is more utilitarian.

Blue and walnut are far prettier to my eye.

ā€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.ā€
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 for stainless and wood.

I love the look. I love the reduced maintenance requirements.

[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We hunt some really [bleep] weather with rain and snow a given, and though I always hated the looks of the stainless and plastic guns, but after hunting with them I'm sold, there is nothing like the deep silver blueing on an old Browning or Sako , but for hunting I will take the ugly rifle everytime.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

When you use/need a gun to feed yourself, keep yourself from getting slow roasted by native American Redskins, or survive a World War, you don't worry about the gun getting scratched or a little rusty. I have a 22 rifle that was used hard by my Granddaddy, my Dad, and his brothers from the 1940's to the 1970's. Granddaddy carried it everyday on his tractor or in a vehicle in case he ran across a snake or something else that needed shooting. To them it was a tool, no different than a hammer or an axe. By the time I got it, it had no finish on the barrel or stock, the bolt was broken off and replaced with a screw, and half the butt plate was broken off. However, it still shot as well as a new one. Dad wanted to fix it up and we did. It got new parts, reblued, and I refinished the stock. Sometimes I think we should have left it alone.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Good morning guys!
I guess it is really a individual thing! For myself, deer hunting in fir/spruce thick brush in snow with a wood/blued color case M-93 or M-94 carbine in 38-55 or even a 30-30 is hard to beat!! On the other hand, as much as I like nice walnut and blued rifles, I find use for stainless synthetic rifles for moose. Especially with the need to canoe across lakes and all the rain we get during moose season in October...

That gun was built based on the modo of the Russian school of ergonomics that says : F...ck you end user! S. Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[align:left][/align]I wouldn't have anything but stainless, given a choice and wood is for guitars and campfires.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I like blue better, but Iā€™m old.

A can of Krylon only costs a few bucks....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What do you think? Like, not like?
Both.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by skeen
I like stainless and blue, and cerakote too.

Stainless and blue: Check

[Linked Image]

Cerakote: Check (actually GunKote)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like um both. I have both. They both work just fine. Depending on how I plan to use it determines the one I take.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like stainless especially M70 stainless.

.338-06
[Linked Image]

.30-06
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I love this SS/Walnut stuff: M70 custom - .358 STA.. NIB.

[Linked Image]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have three stainless bolt actions with synthetic stocks and three blued walnut stocked rifles in the same chambering.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Stainless and composite stock. Iā€™ll never buy another blued firearm.

ā€˜TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZEā€™

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all comingā€¦

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

Iā€™m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (2500HD, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 71 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.