Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
SS classic line strictly to shoot groups, it will not be used for hunting. 100 yards to 600 yard steel on an AR-15 in 223.

I've had a 10x before and am leaning that way again but wondering if the glass quality is good in the higher powers. This will go in an extra QD mount and only be used for targets from a bench.

What would you choose?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TWR..
My first SS was a 16 bought used here. I have since added approx 15-20 more of the same. I have several 6x, 10x, and 1x4’s as well.
I love the 16 on all my high end “match” .22’s, which is the majority of my shooting. I also use it on several more of my centerfire rifles that are mainly target shooters.
Yes they give up a little in brightness and are a little less forgiving in eye relief. But I’ve never had an issue with either of those.
I know most guys don’t like the higher magnification and say you can do anything with a 6 you can do with a 16... but I can’t. Especially when it comes to precision rimfire.

I’ve used them from 50 to 600 Yard’s with no issues. You didn’t ask but I’ve used a few of their 20, and I would stay 16 tops

My Stag .223 in the black rifle challenge wears a 16, as did my brothers stag and other brothers RRA

Last edited by Certifiable; 08/08/18.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
12x is as high I'd want to go with the fixed power classic line. I've shot the 12x and it's a good one. Cant say anything about the 16 or 20x but they just don't appeal to me. 10x is plenty enough magnification for 600 yards and that's what I run.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A recent long-range rimfire shoot (with competitors from coast-to-coast) was won by a local guy with a 10x SWFA. In fact his rifle, custom barrel and scope cost around $1000. He was somewhat surprised, because "the scopes the other guys used cost more than my entire outfit!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for the replies.

I really wanted a 16x but just couldn't pull the trigger. Having a few 10x's in the past and taking them out to 700 yards, I know they are a good choice but I still wanted more. I wound up calling SWFA and ordered a 12x. The rep said it was his favorite fixed being an optimal fit for the scopes size, it gives up very little to the 10x and is easier to get behind than the 16x while being just as bright as the 10x. It will be interesting to see if my groups shrink with it vs the Trijicon 1-4 Accupowers I have now. wink

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much the groups shrink might depend on the target you're using.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
With the SS Classic line, the 6x, 10x and 12x are quite good optically. Really excellent if you consider that these are $300 scopes with exceptional mechanical robustness.
With 16x you begin to see some more stuff, but it is more than serviceable.
20x is where I think the image quality is a bit too much of a compromise, although mechanically it is just as robust as the rest of them.

ILya

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
For developing loads, I’ve been happy with the 16x. It is not a low light hunting scope but is great for how I use it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a 12x on a CZ 452 American .22lr and love the combo. That combination for ~ $700 is pretty darn exceptional.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I was very disappointed in the 12x. Eyebox was too tight and glass quality was just not there.

But dealing with SWFA made things painless. The scope is on its way back to them and I will pick up a 10x HD model when they go on sale again. I had one in the past and should've kept it.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I dig my 12 MQ for the bench.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
TWR Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I could not see 22 cal holes at 100 yards unless they were in the white. I don't remember having a problem with the 10x I had and I know the 10x HD model didn't have any. Maybe I just got a bad one?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TWR
Thanks for the replies.

I really wanted a 16x but just couldn't pull the trigger. Having a few 10x's in the past and taking them out to 700 yards, I know they are a good choice but I still wanted more. I wound up calling SWFA and ordered a 12x. The rep said it was his favorite fixed being an optimal fit for the scopes size, it gives up very little to the 10x and is easier to get behind than the 16x while being just as bright as the 10x. It will be interesting to see if my groups shrink with it vs the Trijicon 1-4 Accupowers I have now. wink

I run a 12x on my longer range AR and am happy with it. When I was checking out the specs, the 12x didn't give up much to the 10x FOV-wise so I figured why not get the extra 2x. While it's probably not the best tool for the job, I have run it out to 1k and didn't have any problems resolving my target

I actually just had to send that scope in for repair because it lost zero and the vertical tracking got funky on the 600 yd berm. SWFA was very responsive, hopefully I'll get it back relatively quickly.

Pic of the setup.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 16X that I use for groups and load development mostly, occasionally some long range plinking on some 22lr's. I keep TPS rings on it that fit a weaver or picatinny rail. The eye box and light transmission is obviously better on the 10x and 12x but I have no complaints with the 16X for what I use it for. Glass quality on mine is decent, I'd guess you got a bad one.

[Linked Image]CZ 452 Varmint by X Ring, on Flickr

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/17/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Thanks for the replies.

TWR, I bought a 16x for the same purpose you are talking about. I'll let you know how well it works after I use it a bit. Seems like it has good glass though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
How much the groups shrink might depend on the target you're using.

Trust me. He aims small and misses small.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by TWR
Thanks for the replies.

I run a 12x on my longer range AR and am happy with it. When I was checking out the specs, the 12x didn't give up much to the 10x FOV-wise so I figured why not get the extra 2x. While it's probably not the best tool for the job, I have run it out to 1k and didn't have any problems resolving my target

I actually just had to send that scope in for repair because it lost zero and the vertical tracking got funky on the 600 yd berm. SWFA was very responsive, hopefully I'll get it back relatively quickly.

Pic of the setup.

[Linked Image]

Just figured I should update my post, SWFA sent a brand new replacement 12x and it arrived today. I'm very happy with how they handled things and can't wait to get it back on my rifle and out to the range.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I put a 16x on my 6 creedmore savage 110 tactical.

Extremely accurate combo.

Got lucky.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How durable are they for a hunting scope? I have a 300 RUM coming and looking at 10x for it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a couple of 10X, one a Mil-Dot and one an MOA Quad. I like the standard Mil-Dot better.

The MOA Quad is too fine for me, and with the open center it is hard for me to use on paper and would be easy to lose in certain situations on game. I have held on deer out to 500 yards with it and for light colored animals I could hunt with it.

I have no problems with standard mil-dot in a 10X shooting out to 500 yards, and the glass is plenty good for that.

I could see a 12x or 16x being a better for strictly paper, but I use mine for hunting also.

Bob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (160user, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,842
Posts18,496,856
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.