Print Thread
Hop To
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking into my first fly rod and reel fishing north Carolina. My local dealer made me a good deal on a BVK reel and 8'6" BVK rod. 5 weight. Hard to find reviews on this reel. I will fish mountain streams and river couple times a year and local waters for bream and pan fish. Advice helpful. Looking to spend $400 Ish. Thanks!

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Lawnman,

I would recommend you look at an Echo Base series rod. It is my understanding they can be had for around $100.00 and cast way above their pay grade. Next do not purchase a cheap fly line. I see many people new to fly fishing spend all their money on the rod and reel and then find out a good line costs $85.00 + and will elect to purchase a $40.00 dollar line that is almost useless. A good fly line will make a $100.00 rod cast better than a $250.00 rod and a cheap $40.00 line. I cannot stress enough how important the fly line is. Any good fly shop can steer you to a quality fly line that matches the action of your chosen rod.

L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Ok great thx

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hi lawnman,

I fish in North Georgia, East Tennessee, and Western North Carolina. Like many, I started with a 5 weight but recently bought a TFO BVK 3 weight, with the BVK "Zero" reel. That's the best thing I've done in a while. Last Wednesday we caught about 30 Rainbows and Browns. Nothing real big, mostly stockers. The 3 wt is so much lighter and suited to the smaller streams and fish that I usually get. I have not had a large fish on it yet but love it so far.

A friend has gotten very good in the Euro nymph style of fishing, and out caught me about 10:1 a couple of weeks ago in NC. TFO also has a conversion for the 3 wt to make it a 10' nymph rod. I bought it, but haven't actually tried it yet. It will give you some options.

Good Luck and Tight Lines.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
According to this review that rod is actually a 6-wt. This is quite common.

You might want to look for a lighter rod for what you'll be doing.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/i...ios2-hardyzenith-loop-optistream/tfo-bvk

Last edited by pal; 09/04/18.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yep pal I actually read that earlier.
Mav I agree with you. I have thought that the 5wt would be a bit much for those little rainbow and brookies. Guys I really appreciate it!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd look for a deal on a high quality used outfit, maybe a 4-wt. Checkout:
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1447687

They are a good bunch of guys.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd second (third?) the notion that a 4 weight is what you're looking for. Mountain streams ( as I think of streams) and panfish are perfect for a 4 wt. A true 5 weight isn't all that much heavier, but most graphite rods these days punch heavier than the label states. For instance I have a Winston rod that's labeled a 6 wt, but is very, very comfy throwing an 8 wt line.

I'd also note that a very good line can be had for around $60 - check out the Cortland 444 peach lines.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
(I had no idea there was a FF board here.)

I have a TFO BVK rod/reel rig in 5 wt. Love it. My research pulls up comments that the rod is a bit fragile, prone to breaking, doesn't bother me, don't grip above the cork handle.

I have used a few medium $$ range reels, I like this one the best. The people in the know credit the good quality to the fact it is Korean made.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

I have used a few medium $$ range reels, I like this one the best. The people in the know credit the good quality to the fact it is Korean made.

???

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Was referring to the product discussed in the thread, TFO BVK. It is the one on the top. I like it much better than the fabled CLA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.