Hop To
Page 48 of 63 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 62 63
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Sweet..
Eagle I don’t think the targets matter a bit so long as people follow the rules on how to shoot them

Do these need to be tacticool swat team rifles only? Do we have to add .250 to any group shot with a wood stocked affair?

I’m gonna shoot my .222 but wear my p220 in my thigh holster when I do it so I think that should count

Just tape a flashlight to the side of the rifle....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Sweet..
Eagle I don’t think the targets matter a bit so long as people follow the rules on how to shoot them

Do these need to be tacticool swat team rifles only? Do we have to add .250 to any group shot with a wood stocked affair?

I’m gonna shoot my .222 but wear my p220 in my thigh holster when I do it so I think that should count

Wood gets you points for style. All practical (away from bench) rifles are welcome.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR
Targets were fine, I just need to buy another high powered scope. I have 1-4's and a 1-6 right now but I do have a spare mount.

Humbling it is but don't get so wrapped in accuracy that you forget a 2 MOA rifle in field conditions is better than a 1 MOA rifle strapped to a lead sled.

Field conditions. BTDT in the Carl Ross positional match. Not a lot of competitors there. Got a lot of lip smacking from a few high up members, but they never shot...... :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lead sleds are for puzzies...

What are the diameter of the circles? Any info or link to the rules on that one?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by TWR
Targets were fine, I just need to buy another high powered scope. I have 1-4's and a 1-6 right now but I do have a spare mount.

Humbling it is but don't get so wrapped in accuracy that you forget a 2 MOA rifle in field conditions is better than a 1 MOA rifle strapped to a lead sled.

Field conditions. BTDT in the Carl Ross positional match. Not a lot of competitors there. Got a lot of lip smacking from a few high up members, but they never shot...... :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What are the diameter of the circles? Any info or link to the rules on that one?

That was shot at the beginning of this year and I believe would be the high score (19/20). I never even posted that target because the thread is old and there was not a lot of interest in the shoot. Mainly Formid, Carl, Prarie goat, Deflave and myself shot the event. Guys like steelhead flapped their damned lips (as per usual), but never threw up any targets...

Great question mr mountain... Here's the link to that shoot:

Carl Ross positional drill "postal" match

It's a timed event and is a little challenging. I about half wore myself out the first couple times doing it. Great practice for those of us that like shooting in different "field" positions.... One thing about it, You need to be selective about what rifles you use, because the big heavies will wear you out.... I posted scores and targets from just about every dang new "hunting" rifle I bought around that time. It's also a great way to weed out the ones that don't fit you well in different positions and the ones you don't shoot as well. Trust me, after running a rifle through this event, you'll find out which ones are good, which ones are great, as well as ones that are absolute dogs.... Give it a try, even if you don't post results. It's excellent practice.... By the way, I believe mr. Pat Sinclair tried this shoot, but did not complete it (no score) or use Carl's targets. Like i said, big heavies will get you... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks, BSA! I'll try it this weekend. Makes alot more sense than shooting a hunting rifle off a bench.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's fun practice man. I like running that drill right before hunting season starts.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by TWR

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That was shot at the beginning of this year and I believe would be the high score (19/20). I never even posted that target because the thread is old and there was not a lot of interest in the shoot. Mainly Formid, Carl, Prarie goat, Deflave and myself shot the event. Guys like steelhead flapped their damned lips (as per usual), but never threw up any targets...

Great question mr mountain... Here's the link to that shoot:

Carl Ross positional drill "postal" match

It's a timed event and is a little challenging. I about half wore myself out the first couple times doing it. Great practice for those of us that like shooting in different "field" positions.... One thing about it, You need to be selective about what rifles you use, because the big heavies will wear you out.... I posted scores and targets from just about every dang new "hunting" rifle I bought around that time. It's also a great way to weed out the ones that don't fit you well in different positions and the ones you don't shoot as well. Trust me, after running a rifle through this event, you'll find out which ones are good, which ones are great, as well as ones that are absolute dogs.... Give it a try, even if you don't post results. It's excellent practice.... By the way, I believe mr. Pat Sinclair tried this shoot, but did not complete it (no score) or use Carl's targets. Like i said, big heavies will get you... wink

The walking douchebag strikes again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Please bear in mind the targets were shot normal orientation but I wasn't paying attention trying to get a photo you could see the calipers on better so the angles were weird..

So you can see I'm not scared to show how rusty I am.
. Jimmy, thinking this wasn't 3 inch groups. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jeff,

Dig your jacket and glove out of the closet, your groups would probably tighten up a bit. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rost495
I always put the most work into 300 yard ammo. You loose the most the fastest there. At 600 you only loose it one shot at a time. At 300 you loose or gain 10 at a time and its much less forgiving than 200

At Perry on the 300 yard line I shot a 98 in the P-100, a 99 in the NTI, and cleaned it in the six man team.

Also shot a 99-5x at 600 in the P-100. Shot a 9 on the first shot and cleaned it from there. Would have made the cut if I could shoot on my feet. Ordered a SCATT trainer and will have to start putting some serious effort in it.

Also cleaned a couple of 300 yard 10 shot strings at Atterbury including a 100-7X. A little easier there with sighters and not having to stand.

Last edited by Mike70560; 08/08/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not having to stand? I guess I've been gone to long. Scopes. Not standing etc...

But thats good shooting at 300 really. IMHO once I got really solid at all the other lines the offhand came together too. Seemed like rimfire silhouette did good for cross training for us for offhand years ago. But mostly offhand is knowing when to take the shot or make the attempt a second or third time instead.

Never got higher than 8x at 200 or 300 for me. Can't even recall the X counts at 600 anymore. Probably not more than 15. Standing I sucked at. May have shot a 99 string out of 20 once. Can't recall shooting higher than 97 in 10 or 193 or so in 20

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You still have to stand for CMP. There is not much difference in 300 prone, but not having to stand from sitting has made a difference. To stay competitive in the big matches cannot afford to drop any points in rapids.

I do love the scopes, no issue seeing, but the scores are going up, especially as we learn to shoot them better. To LEG out now it is going to take solid 480 plus scores. The cutoff at Perry was a 479 with around 10Xs. The weather was good but so is the equipment.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What is that on your rear sight? It looks brown? Can’t really see the target holes that well. Hope you get free to shoot it again. grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
What is that on your rear sight?

Looks like some of mother natures thread locker.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
its white paint on the rear base and sight with a fine black vertical line so that I can see if its centered for windage zero or not at a glance. Also have paint marks on the rear to verify elevation and windage settings.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah holes are hard to see cause I didn't shoot 10 shots. LOL

B
B
Despite all the development of the black guns and ammo being used by the hot shots in the military teams, it took a scoped M16 to finally break the old record in the Interservice set by a Marine with his M14 - 995-50X.

Jeff, you are right, I still remember when you stuck it to that New Yorker at Camp Perry, yours was the only clean at 600 in the NTI - 200-14X.

USAF 1972-1978
HM XC Service Rifle
Distinguish Badge 1234
P100
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by wareagle700
This challenge is designed to test your skills as well as your equipment. I will keep up with the rankings as we go along. Please read and follow the rules or your entry may not count.

The Rules:
ALL targets must be shot from 100 yards.
20 rounds will be scored, flyers included.
The rifle can be shot from any position as long as the shooter is supporting the rifle. Bipods, slings, and rear bags are ok to use. NO bench rest, lead sleds, or machine rest may be used.
All 20 rounds must be fired on the same day, from the same rifle.
Iron Sights will fire two 10 shot groups at the reduced 600 yard NRA targets.
Scoped rifles will fire two 10 shot groups at the target listed below (different targets are ok, just make sure both groups are on the same piece of paper)
Iron sighted rifles and scoped rifles will be ranked separately.

Please have your post in this Order:

1) Picture of rifle and setup.
2) Picture of 100 yard range.
3) Picture of target (optics) or targets (irons) with 20 rounds through them. (place calipers or ruler laying over one group for reference)
4) Description of rifle and ammo used.
5) For optics, list your group sizes and the average. For Iron sights, please list the group size and score.

Optics Target:
Scoped Rifle Target

Iron Sights Target:
NRA MR-31

Please sign each target with your 24HC name and date.

Thanks.

Found it, would there be anything wrong with firing 20 rounds with your scoped rifle then pulling the scope and firing 20 with the irons?

Now i have to figure out what size a reduced target is, cant PDF?

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gunner I don’t see why that would be a problem at all, as long as you shot 10 and 10, then 10 and 10 again.
As for the targets it’s pretty lax to which targets you use. I don’t think anybody cares, as long as it’s two targets that can both be seen together at once and not two individual targets photographed separately ya know...?
Shoot em up and have fun is what it was all about

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, have at it. You can use whatever target you like. The MR-31 in the link was a good size for me with irons but use whatever gives you the best sight picture.

Page 48 of 63 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 5 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.