24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thought I would share this presentation. Perhaps you might want to share this with some of your respective state's biologists.

https://texasdeerassociation.com/wp...RRENT-SCIENTIFIC-KNOWLEDGE-ABOUT-CWD.pdf

BOTTOM LINE ON CWD PREVENTION AND CONTROL EFFORTS

A review of the literature based on actual data (not predictive models) clearly shows that that
any past combination of quarantines, containment zones, surveillance zones, depopulation,
elective harvest, increased harvest limits, supplemental feeding bans, baiting bans, bans
on the importation of live cervid species, bans on the importation, of carcasses, bans on
the importation of trophies, and bans on urine based lures, HAVE NOT been effective in
preventing, controlling, or eradicating CWD in any State. These programs have cost in
excess of $100,000,000 of public funding and the killing of thousands of deer without any
measurable positive results.

Last edited by ChippewaPartners; 09/07/18.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tag. Thanks

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tag

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Prevention has not been demonstrated possible other than by eliminating exposure.

Exposure methods are unknown.

There appears to be no difference between wild CWD and CWD in captive herds.

What is not really addressed is the FACT that CWD in every known outbreak has been related to captive herds that are infected.

Proving the infection of wild herds by captive hers has never been done. There is not as of yet a demonstrated method of infection animal to animal despite demonstrating experimental methods of infection.

Prior to very recent times CWD was unknown here and in a number of the species susceptible.

Scrapie, a prion disease capable of infecting other species including humans Has been doing so for a very long time.

BSE, another prion disease can and does infect humans.

We have no idea how the prions of scrapie and BSE to infect humans, nor when.

Does anyone else find that set of facts worrisome?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
CWD is always worrisome. Luckily, we don't have it here yet.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yet, Is the Word!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't believe I'll be hauling back any spinal or brain parts from some western schithole and feeding it to my resident deer in Tn out behind the house

So I ain't worried

I don't even feed deer corn, so I doubly don't have to worry about other saliva spread diseases either.

- *edited the part out about baiting deer for fake ptsd guys

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ChippewaPartners
Thought I would share this presentation. Perhaps you might want to share this with some of your respective state's biologists.

https://texasdeerassociation.com/wp...RRENT-SCIENTIFIC-KNOWLEDGE-ABOUT-CWD.pdf

BOTTOM LINE ON CWD PREVENTION AND CONTROL EFFORTS

A review of the literature based on actual data (not predictive models) clearly shows that that
any past combination of quarantines, containment zones, surveillance zones, depopulation,
elective harvest, increased harvest limits, supplemental feeding bans, baiting bans, bans
on the importation of live cervid species, bans on the importation, of carcasses, bans on
the importation of trophies, and bans on urine based lures, HAVE NOT been effective in
preventing, controlling, or eradicating CWD in any State. These programs have cost in
excess of $100,000,000 of public funding and the killing of thousands of deer without any
measurable positive results.

One could argue that those methods weren't effective cause the outlaw hunter don't give a crap about regulations, especially when new, therefore we have no real data to evaluate whether such bans and restrictions could be effective.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One could argue that there have been no CWD areas where a do-nothing approach was taken, in order to compare to these “failed” control strategies mentioned in the OP. It’s likely all these “failures” are actually successes due to th fact that they’ve prevented co pledge anihilation of the herd, that would be experienced following a do-nothing approach.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know that the Missouri DNR has killed and tested many thousands of deer since first detecting CWD besides testing thousands killed by hunters in effected areas. This past year more cases were found in their special killings than in those tested that were killed by hunter. It's still not very prevalent, i know of no one personally who has ever had a deer test positive.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think that they will eventually decide that it is something that has been around more or less forever.

The incubation period on it is long enough that a lot of the deer will die of old age before they show any symptoms and before it became known, a lot of the deer showing symptoms were not tested and/or it was assumed to be something else.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I recently got the link to this article from the Missouri Dept Conservation.

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/wildlife-diseases/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd

It is interesting to note that all the first CWD cases were either in a captive deer herd or in the wild herd close to the game farm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I think that they will eventually decide that it is something that has been around more or less forever.

I would not be surprised by that conclusion. It was first discovered near the areas I hunt. The state did some free testing on harvested game if you happened to be passing by the occasional check station after harvesting an animal. Otherwise, you had to pay for testing and bring the lymph nodes to a testing site. Most people never tested their animals in the past, and it is very rare to hear of anyone having their animals tested now. Then there are the commercial game processors who may be using the same equipment on infected and non-infected animals. I am quite confident that people have been eating infected animals for a long time.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
States without CWD have been testing hundreds and thousands of deer for many years. If CWD had “been around forever” why aren’t there positive tests across the country now? Everyone is testing, and has been testing for years. Many don’t understand that.

There’s plenty we don’t know about CWD, but I find many misunderstood what little we do know.

Last edited by turkish; 09/07/18.
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
TheTexas Deer Association is an association of deer breeders. They want to keep their kick and shoot operations going. Even if it spreads cwd. I wouldn’t believe anything they put out.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Contrary to the statement that its never been contained or eradicated. NY had animals (linked to a captive facility) test positive in 2005 and took remedial action, which a lot of hunters thought were extreme. 13 years and 36000 tests later there hasn't been another case. at least contained.

It gets thrown out that prions stay in the soil forever, but if you google up papers, most show that it does decrease over time and depending on the type of soil, manganese content, moisture or other factors a half life of 8 years or so might be an average. At some point the MOI is going to get so low you won't get detectable CWD. That might be a decade or 10 but its going to happen.

I haven't followed the field closely, but why is it so endemic in WY and CO? is it from domestic grazers? does anyone know?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by M16
TheTexas Deer Association is an association of deer breeders. They want to keep their kick and shoot operations going. Even if it spreads cwd. I wouldn’t believe anything they put out.

TDA? Good lord. M16 pretty much nailed it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Every mule deer we killed (4) in Hudspeth County Texas tested positive. There was also a marked decrease in numbers of animals spotted on the last hunt, in 2016, compared to the year before. These were not captive animals in any sense of the term.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So far, it's never been found in Idaho. That's not saying it isn't here, just that it hasn't been identified. There are quite a few canned elk hunting operations around the state and from what I've heard, they get regularly tested. So far, so good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,700
Posts18,513,746
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.