Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Do we go a little overboard on the need for premium bullets in non-magnum calibers?? Especially for deer sized game?

The old way of go heavy grain bullets for larger game seemed to work just fine, as long as the caliber was appropriate.

What say you?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How did we get to work without cars? Africa without planes? Ask silly questions without computers?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Heavy for caliber was typically because anything less sucked and you wanted at least a chunk of something to make it out the other side.

Never seen a problem with using something that works when everything is wrong, over something that only works when everything is right.

YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Skatchewan

The old way of go heavy grain bullets for larger game seemed to work just fine, as long as the caliber was appropriate.

We have become spoiled to having things 'near' perfection. In hunting I want something that I can count on working every time.
It's available, so why not?

ps: that's why I have diff rifles for diff circumstances.

Last edited by jwall; 09/08/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do we go a little overboard on the need for premium bullets in non-magnum calibers?? Especially for deer sized game?

What say you?

How you do it is your business, leave me to mine own.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What say you?

I don't worry about it. I shoot a 30/06 with 180 grains "Power Point" Winchester factory ammo. I'm good for anything in the lower 48. And probably AK too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never used a premium bullet on deer size game. I normally don't even go heavy for caliber. Actually I never used a premium bullet on Moose size game either. Only thing I ever had Nosler Partitions loaded for was my 257 Weatherby mag and when I took it out west I lent it out to one of the party and used my 270 anyways.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use GameKings in my 308, they kill just as well as the TTSX bullets I use in other calibers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74
Only thing I ever had Nosler Partitions loaded for was my 257 Weatherby mag and when I took it out west I lent it out to one of the party and used my 270 anyways.

Mike, a serious ? here.

Why did your hunting pard NEED to borrow a rifle.?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

What say you?

I find both ideas work.

Partitions, TBBC's and monometals all seem to blodshoot deer less than cup and core bullets.

That said, for many years I used 180 Cor-Lokts on blacktails to reduce the bloodshot from my '06. Some 150 grain Bronze Ponts convinced me to make the change.

Neither bullet type kills as quickly as lighter for caliber cup and core bullets. But who likes to clean out blood shot meat?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Mike74
Only thing I ever had Nosler Partitions loaded for was my 257 Weatherby mag and when I took it out west I lent it out to one of the party and used my 270 anyways.

Mike, a serious ? here.

Why did your hunting pard NEED to borrow a rifle.?

PA hunter. All he had was a 35 Remington and he wanted to go Pronghorn hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Good Reason... Good on ya.

I can't imagine ONLY having a 35 Rem or 30-30, My mind does NOT go there.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
people think better bullets make them a better hunter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, this’ll piss a few folks off. However, for the most part on deer at least, when I’ve decided to pull the trigger, it’s because I want thatparticular deer’s set of antlers. I really don’t care what angle the deer gives me, I just want to have enough bullet to get to the vitals, even if that means an entry through the rear quarters.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 44mc

You are not a WORSE hunter for using BETTER bullets.

Better bullets are more reliable.

<............deleted.............> wink

Last edited by jwall; 09/08/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very Good Reason... Good on ya.

I can't imagine ONLY having a 35 Rem or 30-30, My mind does NOT go there.

I know it doesn't Jerry. But in our woods you really don't need anything more. My Grandpa liked to say "a 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree". It was his way of saying the 30-30 has all the range one can use in our woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwall I did not mean to criticize .just trying to say some people try to buy stuff to make them better. I read a lot of your post an enjoy your imput my bad

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

? Maybe ? I read more into your comment than I should have? sorry, therefore.

Originally Posted by 44mc

You are not a WORSE hunter for using BETTER bullets.

Better bullets are more reliable.

<............deleted.............> wink

grin grin

Thanks for your response. ATST (at the same time) I'm sure you know we have TOO many self appointed critics. Guess I'm .........

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Its hard to answer because "premium bullets" covers quite a range of terminal behavior. Some are perfect for a wide range of velocities and game. Some are quite violent and the "eat to the bullet hole" guys are going to hate them. Some are so hard that buffalo is about the right game size, and yet those have fans for deer. With variations like that, who gets to decide what premium even means? I'd say that some, but not most take whatever premium means to them seriously. They are few by percentage, but quite vocal. I'm no different; I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

It doesn't seem like it on a guncentric message board; but most hunters aren't even handloaders never mind died-in-the-wool gun/bullet/cartridge nuts. They are just millions of guys who buy their ordinary, cheap, simple factory loads in what seems like the appropriate weight and go hunting without a great deal of fuss. The ammunition makers have done quite a good job of producing ammo that makes most of the people happy most of the time by giving them what they need. Face it, most game isn't very big, or very tough or very far away. The farther you stray from ordinary, the more you should question what is so darn special about what you're doing. Chances are, nothing at all.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Its hard to answer because "premium bullets" covers quite a range of terminal behavior. Some are perfect for a wide range of velocities and game. Some are quite violent and the "eat to the bullet hole" guys are going to hate them. Some are so hard that buffalo is about the right game size, and yet those have fans for deer. With variations like that, who gets to decide what premium even means? I'd say that some, but not most take whatever premium means to them seriously. They are few by percentage, but quite vocal. I'm no different; I will tell anyone my thoughts on bullets and solidly back the idea that some "premium" bullets are harder than optimum for most of the game most of the time.

It doesn't seem like it on a guncentric message board; but most hunters aren't even handloaders never mind died-in-the-wool gun/bullet/cartridge nuts. They are just millions of guys who buy their ordinary, cheap, simple factory loads in what seems like the appropriate weight and go hunting without a great deal of fuss. The ammunition makers have done quite a good job of producing ammo that makes most of the people happy most of the time by giving them what they need. Face it, most game isn't very big, or very tough or very far away. The farther you stray from ordinary, the more you should question what is so darn special about what you're doing. Chances are, nothing at all.

Good post.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 20 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.