-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one in 221 Fire Ball shoots very well and pretty to boot. Love it.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My hornet has a set trigger. Don't know if they all do but it is nice off of a rest when I have time to set it.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
My hornet has a set trigger. Don't know if they all do but it is nice off of a rest when I have time to set it.

It is, off a rest. The considerable after-travel can be a problem for me offhand though. JB adjusts his to eliminate the set function and get the lightest pull unset, IIRC. Haven't tried that trick yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have experience with a couple of 527’s. Worked with a Hornet the most. Both are very accurate with hand loads. Have chosen LilGun for now but other powders have worked well too. The only factory ammo I tried was PPU and the results were 1 1/2”-2”. A variety of published reloads easily get groups down to 3/4”. A few even better than that.

Lots of things to like about the rifles for me. There light and handy, nicely finished and are accurate. A few quirks though; magazine length is short and limits COAL, bolt throw is high requiring higher than I’d like scope mounting, the safety operates backwards, and the magazine hanging down so far makes carrying awkward sometimes.

I’ve also spent some time with a Ruger 77/22. It needed the bolt shimmed and trigger work before shooting well. Will match the CZ with reloads. It’s a nice gun w/o some of the mentioned CZ issues but it’s heavy. It’s the All Weather version. The blued/walnut versions are lighter.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Rob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took mine down last night to work on the bedding. While I was at it, I tweaked the trigger to lighten the pull. Mine got lighter than I was comfortable with but the set function didn't go away. Might be I misunderstood what JB did with his. Anyway, I also reduced the pre-travel. A little goes a long way on that adjustment! I turned it just a bit (I thought) and the firing pin fell. Backed it off a bit and ended up with just a trifling of pre-travel and a regular pull of 2-2 1/2 lbs. Now for that pesky barrel bedding.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have one in .223 Rem and like it a lot. It has a really nice piece of wood. The set trigger is very useful for me. I didn't care for the high factory CZ scope rings so traded them out for some lower Warne rings. The Warnes work great with a 2.5x8x36 Leupold that I'm running. The backwards safety is awkward but you get used to it. Accuracy is great at 1" or less with the very limited load work I've done. Killed my biggest buck in 22 years with it on my home property a couple years ago, a very nice 8 pt, with a 65gr. Sierra Game King at around 160yds. Worked perfectly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine does not have the set trigger, but who ever had it before me had an excellent trigger job done. It has a 1:12 twist and shoots 50 gr Nosler BT handloads nearly into the same hole. It also like the Hornady Steel Match 55 gr. HP. I'm working up a load now for the 50 gr. Barnes XBT. I've killed a couple of critters with the Nosler load. DRT. Never moved.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one in a 17 remington and it shoots great. Craftsmanship seems good and I have never had an issue with it. I adjusted the trigger so that the set feature is gone and it basically just has a nice normal feel trigger now.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I have one in 221 Fire Ball shoots very well and pretty to boot. Love it.

Same

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
P.S. Look at Calhoon’s Hunker Mounts. Well worth it, IMO. Have a set on mine that I had Cerekoted by a Eddie Fosnaugh.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a LH 527 that was re-barreled to 6.8 SPC. Open sights were added. Has CZ's set trigger. Nice wood and a really nice handling carbine.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love mine. Great little rifle.
Patrick

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I want three more -17 hornet , 300 blackout , 6.5 grendel .

Trying to not let anymore rifles in the door but the 17 hornet is pushing it's way in - I'm kind of weak I guess .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a light varmint in .223. I haven't used it enough to give an opinion, excrept that I'm considering chopping the 24" barrel back to 20-21" to make it handier fron the truck.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've had a 527 American in 22 Hornet for about two years now. It's a very accurate rifle. It makes me look like I actually know how to shoot. I have been neglecting my other rifles because of that thing and they're starting to get jealous.

The wood is plain, but nicely finished. The bluing is very good. Some people say the factory scope mounts are kind of high. I have kind of a long neck, but they are about right for me. The magazine is a bit short, but the magazine mod is easy to do. Just look up "CZ527 magazine modification". You'll be able to seat bullets out much longer. Also, there is a Bob Sled available for the 527.

And for what it's worth, my 527 is accurate (and shoots to the same point of aim) with all the tipped 40 grainers that I have tried, but its preferred bullet is the Hornady V-Max/Z-Max. I haven't tried any other powders but Lil Gun and haven't felt any need to yet.

Greg

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the carbine in 762x39. I was going to take out this morning with my daughter so she can chose between that or the 270 for our up coming deer hunt, or which everyone she can shoot more accurate.

Anyways, taking it out of the safe last night getting ready, the magazine fell out. I put it back in, just to fall back out. I guess its the magazine catch spring broke or came undone. I don't know....Not too happy about it. Less than 100 rounds through it.
If your rifle has the same magazine set up, I would stay away from it.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I want a 527 FS in 6.5 Grendel. Mannlicher stocks and the 6.5 bore just go hand in hand to me. And that just seems like a handy little package.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I have the carbine in 762x39. I was going to take out this morning with my daughter so she can chose between that or the 270 for our up coming deer hunt, or which everyone she can shoot more accurate.

Anyways, taking it out of the safe last night getting ready, the magazine fell out. I put it back in, just to fall back out. I guess its the magazine catch spring broke or came undone. I don't know....Not too happy about it. Less than 100 rounds through it.

Sorry for your problem, but this is the first instance I've heard of.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dre

Have you had it apart? Getting that stuff back in place correctly can be tricky, and it might not seem something's amiss right away. Those parts are pretty robust, so I doubt anything is broken, just assembled wrong, even possibly at the factory.

BTW, I've got a spare mag and a single-loading block fs on the classifieds. The loading block is a major convenience at the bench.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13120003#Post13120003

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one online, and had it delivered to my local gun store. I looked everywhere within a 50 mile radius, nobody had one, and most could not order a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet.
It arrived yesterday, and I picked it up.
This rifle is a real piece of work- fit, finish, etc. is reminiscent of pre-64 Winchesters. Wood is nicely figured, not fancy, and checkering is perfect. Barrel channel is free-floated. The set trigger is nice and crisp, haven't measured pull weights yet, but in unset mode, I think it feels perfect for most hunting situations.Maybe US gunmakers could learn a thing or two from the Czechs on how to build rifles nowadays. It came with rings, and it took a bit of time to clean off all the protective goop on the rings, bore, chamber, bolt, etc.
I then scrubbed the bore, which showed no signs of having ever been fired. even though I know it was, from the test hit pattern that came with the rifle- no copper, lead, or powder residue, just a thin coat of whatever was used for protection from rust. I applied a treatment of Dyna Bore Coat, mounted up a spare Burris 3-9x scope I had laying around, and am looking forward to a trip to the range with a couple of factory loads in .22 Hornet. Hope it is a shooter!

Last edited by Bighorn; 09/28/18.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.