Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Thinking about it - most of those calls have been around SO long - I probably need to replace reeds in 'em.

I'll need to search the site.

Shoot me a PM with a list of the calls you have that need replacement reeds.... they’re simple to replace, and I’ve got all that stuff right here at the house.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a CritR-Call fan from way back.

These things are bullet proof and you can make about any sound under the sun.

If I only could pick one hand call to pack for the rest of my life, it would be a Crit-R, either standard or peewee.

Glad to hear you are running the company Dogshooter.

Good luck to you.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just to set the record straight...... my wife is most definitely “running the company”.... I’m just the Roadie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogshooter what you are saying is we "know" someone who sleeps with the boss! Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mark Dobrenski texted me the following:
These are hands down the best calls I've ever used! I've called in every critter known to man with them... amazing calls! Most of the 60 plus bears I've called in have been with their big call. I think it's called the Magnum. I've called in two packs of wolves with them. They work wonders as a howler. And they call in antelope, I've called in and taken 2 bucks that came to the call from 800 yards and 600. I called the 600 yard lope into 31 yards, spooked him, stopped him at 81 and took him with my open sighted M29. My Dad was at my side, for sure one of my best moments ever

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just realized I need to up my game a bit on coyotes now that I'm retired and have time to chase them a bit more. PM sent for some calls.

Requested the PeeWee, Song Dog, and the Cow/calf call . Any others you guys recommend to get started and what have you had best luck with?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have kept a Pee Wee in my truck and another in my hunting pack for a very long time. I think I have a VHS tape of Major Boddicker using that H&K .223 semi auto calling coyotes. Very handy little calls!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very handy little rifle, too....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Those H&Ks are cool rifles.... Major loves them.

He has been making the buffers for them for years.... we acquired that portion of the business too.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Hey Dog,

I see your calls have the ability to add bell length (for lack of a better term) with a modular type fitting.

Does this just change the tone or is there another benefit?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Those H&Ks are cool rifles.... Major loves them.

He has been making the buffers for them for years.... we acquired that portion of the business too.

Which H&K was that?

Didn't Major write a lot for The Varmint Hunter's Association back in its heyday?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Higbean
Hey Dog,

I see your calls have the ability to add bell length (for lack of a better term) with a modular type fitting.

I've always understand that it increases the range/projection of the call. Don't know if that's accurate or not.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From memory I think the rifle was an H&K 630 .223.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Didn't Major write a lot for The Varmint Hunter's Association back in its heyday?

Flave,

Not to many years before the VHA folded, Major did write a series of predator hunting articles for their mag. Good stuff from what I remember. I always read everything I could get my hands on that Major wrote.

Kinda too bad the VHA went south... The magazine was really the best at one time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Dog,

Not sure if its still going on as much, but when predator calling really exploded, it seemed like there was a bunch of "custom call makers" who basically copied the CritR-Call, but would add a cowhorn, a longer bell shaped horn/tube of some exotic wood, etc... to increase the volume for howling/calling and to jazz it up some.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny

Flave,

Not to many years before the VHA folded, Major did write a series of predator hunting articles for their mag. Good stuff from what I remember. I always read everything I could get my hands on that Major wrote.

Kinda too bad the VHA went south... The magazine was really the best at one time.

+1, I really miss that mag. Liked those cartoons a lot. Most had me LMAO.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Lonny

Flave,

I thought so.

And I agree. Great mag in its day.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I had an old boy give me his whole collection of VHA and a Precision Rifle mag (can't remember the name).

Both were awesome and the VHA always had a great cover pic.

Tossed em as I didn't know where to store all of them.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day, when the VHA magazine was at its peak, people would sell their collections, often times for hundreds of dollars.

With only 4 magazines per year, they were usually packed with articles and not a bunch of advertising. The Steve Timm articles were great and even the member articles were often a good read.

It was the one magazine that could keep you occupied for more than 15 minutes anyway.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey Dog,

I've always understand that it increases the range/projection of the call. Don't know if that's accurate or not.

That’s about the jist of it..... but the barrels do change the tone a bit, and also create a little more depth to the sound.

Take the barrels off the Song Dog, and huff-out a verse of Jackrabbit Blues.... then put the barrels on and listen to it, there’s certainly a difference in sound between the two.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.