Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Seafire,

Originally Posted by Seafire
What does the cream of wheat etc, do for ya in fireforming that a load of Unique out of a cast bullet manual wouldn't.... just seems like more mess to clean up in your bore....

I think you guys who fire form overthink the situation...but then who am I to question your desires?

I usually fireform brass by loading up some bullets and shooting a bunch of ground squirrels or prairie dogs, easy to do here in Montana. But over 80% of Americans live in major urban areas, where just going to a shooting range is not only time-consuming but expensive. Using the COW or Bullseye-and-plug technique can often be done at home, whether in the garage or basement, and the formed brass then loaded with various powder charges and bullets for the limited range-time available to those shooters.

Which is why I've experimented with non-bullet case forming: Many readers can't get to the range very often, and when they do their range-time is often limited. So I try stuff to see what might work for them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I wanted some 250 savage brass . I have lots of 22-250 brass so decided to fire form. I did not have cream of wheat so tried an alternate.
I did have some of the meal left over from making alcohol. The farmers use it for cattle feed . Close enough i figured .

Worked like a charm . Seemed too clean the barrel also. But I did give it a proper cleaning before using bullets ,

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I was going to respond "Bacon and eggs."

With grits, don't forget the grits. And lots of butter. smile

Now I'm hungry again and might need a second breakfast. Thanks!

Yondering-that is impressive. Are you from the South? I didn't think anyone north of the Mason-Dixon knew what Grits are unless they were from down here...lol.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I guy down here used milo to fireform. I think he used bullseye.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Yondering-that is impressive. Are you from the South? I didn't think anyone north of the Mason-Dixon knew what Grits are unless they were from down here...lol.

Yep, mostly Mississippi but all over really. Love me some grits, as well as black eyed peas, greens, and other things these Northerners don't know about.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Yep, mostly Mississippi but all over really. Love me some grits, as well as black eyed peas, greens, and other things these Northerners don't know about.

Plus ++++, I love poke salad and collard greens also. I like the fruit of the PawPaw Tree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about rice? You end up with free puffed rice. Commercial tag line, "It's shot from cannons!

Just kidding of course. Dirty work but someone's got to do it. wink

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
ipopum,

In my experience with quite a few .22-250's and .250-3000 Savages, just running new .22-250 brass into a .250 die works fine. The shoulder angle is supposedly slightly different, but in new cases I've never found it to make any difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

"I want my Maypo!" Anyone else remember that?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I guy down here used milo to fireform. .

That could get messy:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Amazing the lengths people will go to not shoot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I tried the corn residue that I used to fire form the 250 Savage cases in an old military 8 m/m today.

Loaded some shotgun powder and then a cloth wad and then the course ground corn. The barrel was noticeable cleaner and brighter after about 3 shots.

Hmm I wonder what else needs a few corn round down the barrel ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless the parent case is long enough to form a false shoulder sized to jam the case head against the bolt face while forming with Cream of Wheat, etc....you're probably going to get a better fire formed case by loading a real round and seat the bullet long to jam into the rifling, and keep the case firmly against the bolt face. Look at it as practice/plinking ammo. You also may be surprised and find that these fire forming loads pretty damn well. Trigger time, is never a bad thing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Amazing the lengths people will go to not shoot.

Yes rather amazing actually..... amazing folks put shiit in their barrel l I ke cream of wheat.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe the COW method and usefulness is when stepping UP several diameters,

I blew out 50 rds of .30-06 cases to .338-06 in a relatively short period of time and don't understand what all the crying is about, it ain't like COW is going to hurt a steel barrel.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Using the COW or Bullseye-and-plug technique can often be done at home

Tell that to my former Homer bucket that had been filled with wadded up newspaper, old beach towels, etc.

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I believe the COW method and usefulness is when stepping UP several diameters,

I blew out 50 rds of .30-06 cases to .338-06 in a relatively short period of time and don't understand what all the crying is about, it ain't like COW is going to hurt a steel barrel.

Mike

Every 338/06 case I have made has been from just necking up 30/06 cases, using a tapered expander spindle that RCBS sent me for free....probably 500 to 600 plus....

certainly a lot cheaper than Cream of Wheat, primers and powder to do so,

I've never had to use filler on any reduced loads, and I shoot a bunch of them.

but hey, whatever way works for each member... don't let me get in the way...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
This is just my experience, but I’ve found that using s false shoulder to control headspace and fireform with a decent load has always given me the most consistent results. No lost cases this way. I’ve had very inconsistent results using “cream of wheat method” or jamming the bullet. Also get some good trigger time with the fireforming loads, offhand practice or shooting groups. This has just been my experience.

Iv use this method for the Gibbs and it does a good job ....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Originally Posted by mod7rem
This is just my experience, but I’ve found that using s false shoulder to control headspace and fireform with a decent load has always given me the most consistent results. No lost cases this way. I’ve had very inconsistent results using “cream of wheat method” or jamming the bullet. Also get some good trigger time with the fireforming loads, offhand practice or shooting groups. This has just been my experience.

Iv use this method for the Gibbs and it does a good job ....

One of the cases I used to fireform was a 35 Gibbs and necking up and making a false shoulder was the best method for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,814
Posts18,496,452
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.