Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well today I decided to take the plunge and buy my Rimfire scope ( leupold), so I got my list together for cabelas and gathered all my pennies.. When I said scope , well THEY NO LONGER SHIP SCOPES,RANGE FINDER OR SOME BINOCULARS TO CANADA. please do not take this as yelling its crying. Gunn control has gone way to far.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
sorry for you. that sucks. cabela's used to support zumbo as well. if they did not want to ship that overseas i could understand. last i checked canadian forces were doing fine work with us in the war on terror.

b.t.w. the leupold rimfire scope, from all accounts i have seen is a good scope.

hang in bro.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a pretty sad state of affairs.Lying Conservative goverment.

S
S
Better than the stinking liberals, but not by much.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whoa, it has nothing to do with Canada, it has everything to do with the USA.
It is the USA's export rules about potential materials of war that your running up against.
Get your facts straight before you start.
For more info contact Rackmastr, here, he has all the details since he works for the Canadian Border/Customs.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Portsider284
Whoa, it has nothing to do with Canada, it has everything to do with the USA.
It is the USA's export rules about potential materials of war that your running up against.
Get your facts straight before you start.
For more info contact Rackmastr, here, he has all the details since he works for the Canadian Border/Customs.

Exactly Portsider284....I called Midway 2 or 3 springs ago to order over $400.00 of Marbles open & tang sights...no soap!...Their hands were tied and it was explained to me that it was a U.S Commerece Dept. regulation......very aggravating to say the least!.. crazy

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Confirmed.....dont whine about the Canadian government on this one. Its an American law set in place and you can read more about it on the ATF website. Its all US export laws, and has NOTHING to do with Canadian law.

Anyways, complain about it as much as you want....its the Americans you should be complaning about.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard Midway doesn't sell to Canadians period. For a rimfire scope, I'm very happy with the Weaver VR7.Others who have looked,bought them,too. try Wholesale.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I heard Midway doesn't sell to Canadians period. For a rimfire scope, I'm very happy with the Weaver VR7.Others who have looked,bought them,too. try Wholesale.

Downwind...up until a few years ago Midway did sell to Canadains...I don't know about now but will give them a call tomorrow as I'm looking for a Hornady 9.3X74 Die set.... smile

Last edited by Nrut; 03/16/07.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I REALLY do NOT like the Hornady sizer die for those long, slender, tapered cases; the Lyman ain't much better. I had two choice P-64 Mod. 70s in .300 H&H which would shoot 200 NPs UNDER .5" @ 100 and I screwed up quite a few case necks with the Hornady dies.

I have loaded a few hundred 9.3x74R cases, modern RWS brass, the best available and the necks are REAL easy to crumple. At $2.00+ PER CASE, this gets a bit pricey; I would stick with R.C.B.S. dies for this cartridge.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Never thought to ask Kutenay...where could I pick up some 9.3X74R brass?...On the Hornady dies...Have you tried the new ones?...In the last year and half I have bought Hornady Dies for .357 mag.,.22 Hornet,9.3X62 and 9.3X57...The only problem I have had so far is they would size down the base of the 9.3X62 too much on new brass when set in the "full lenght" sizing mode...Figure they must have used 06 measurement when they made that part of the die...What I like about Hornady dies is that you can take out the sliding sleeve in the seating die and hone it to fit the .368" cast boolits I use in the 9.3....If I want to use jacketed bullets I can just get another sleeve from Hornady if my bullet run-out is to much.....But you are right I sure would cringe if I buggered up a Norma or RWS case..ouch!..Thanks for any leads that you may have on brass.. smile

Originally Posted by kutenay
I REALLY do NOT like the Hornady sizer die for those long, slender, tapered cases; the Lyman ain't much better. I had two choice P-64 Mod. 70s in .300 H&H which would shoot 200 NPs UNDER .5" @ 100 and I screwed up quite a few case necks with the Hornady dies.

I have loaded a few hundred 9.3x74R cases, modern RWS brass, the best available and the necks are REAL easy to crumple. At $2.00+ PER CASE, this gets a bit pricey; I would stick with R.C.B.S. dies for this cartridge.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just received a xs ghost site from Brownels , they have a international shipping department and no problem with shipping to Canadians , also used Bear Basin for a couple leupold scopes last year and had no problem with them either , now to figure out a way to get some ammo from down south.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
It is very well to say it's not the fault of the Canadian government but I have heard of no effort on the part of any Canadian government official, elected or otherwise, to try and get the US to relax such rules. I suspect the Canadian government LIKES the fact that the US is enforcing gun control on Canadians (or Americans who live in Canada, for that matter). I always kind of thought some sort of free trade agreement for North America would be a good thing. Apparently, the governments of the two countries do not agree.
By the way, does anyone know what the longest open border in the world is now? It most certainly is not Canada/US. US paranoia has closed that one. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran into a similar problem a few years ago with a crossbow. Cabela's could/would not ship it to Canada. I phoned Canada customs and enquired and was told they didn't have a problem with me importing one. I phoned Cabela's, bought the bow and had them ship it to a friend in states, who turned around and shipped it to me as a gift.

If Canada Customs is ok with the item you want to import, I would look into them(Company your buying from) shipping your scope to an American who can forward it to you.

RO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Empty brass is also on the hit list and high end scopes are too. You can get these through importers now. This is how I get my brass into Canada. I got my NXS NF scope in through importer also.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RiverOtter
I ran into a similar problem a few years ago with a crossbow. Cabela's could/would not ship it to Canada. I phoned Canada customs and enquired and was told they didn't have a problem with me importing one. I phoned Cabela's, bought the bow and had them ship it to a friend in states, who turned around and shipped it to me as a gift.

If Canada Customs is ok with the item you want to import, I would look into them(Company your buying from) shipping your scope to an American who can forward it to you.

RO

This is done quite often, but remember the issue is with the US Govt. and the potential exists for the US Customs/Homeland Security, to inspect outgoing packages. You potentially could cause your buddy Stateside to get in a big pile of dog feces.
And he has to live in it.
Oh yea what you proposed is illegal, and I am not sure where this board stands on discussions about illegal activities.

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I bought from them,too. They had the best prices on books.

Lock,Stock and Barrel ,MidSouth and Natchez still do.

The Hornady seater can be a good one if you make up the sleeve to fit your case/rifle.

The F/L is still a work in progess.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Portsider284, I am looking for more info on this. I recently tried to buy a Leupy scope from the Fire, Rick said no way. That's OK, it's not his fault. So, I get on trusty e-bay, and there are dozens of guys who will ship to Canada. Now, I am looking at a barrel to purchase on e-bay. Fella won't/can't ship to Canada. So, if I purchase that barrel, send it to a buddy, and have him forward it to me, that is illegal?? I had always thought somehow that export rules didn't apply to the regular Joe, and only to dealers, just like the FFL thing down there. I can sell Joe a gun, no worries, but if I want one from a dealer, then there's problems. No challenges here, just looking for some clarification. Thanks. Rman.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Concerning 9.3 brass, I have bought al of mine here in Vancouver, both virgin cases and factory ammo; then developed loads in once-fired cases and loaded the new brass as well. This is all new RWS brass and it is VERY costly, however, my gun is a Merkel drilling and all Euro. chambered combo. guns have different chambers, so this allows me to size my brass to my particular chamber.

It is NOT inexpensive to shoot 9.3s, I have Norma ammo for one of my 9.3x62 Mausers ands Lapua brass for the one being built. Pricey, but, the best available and these rounds really do work for B.C. hunting, so, this is worth it, to me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have given a few 'Canucks' a tough time, but fact is I love Canada, or at least western Canada (haven't been to eastern Canada). I hate all of the gun issues that happen there and it is a cold reminder to US.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,860
Posts18,517,817
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.