Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not in the market for another truck anytime soon. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. I tow quite often, but nothing heavy, around 5000 lbs max and I've never had the need for a bigger truck. But last month I had the opportunity to ride with a couple of other guys 800 miles round trip in a 2014 F250 diesel while pulling a 30' box trailer that was probably close to 10,000 lbs loaded. The truck had about 2100 lbs payload and with all 3 of us and other gear had roughly 1000 lbs in the cab and bed in addition to the trailer. The rear of the truck was sitting down a little and if we weren't slightly over loaded were close.

The engine pulled great. The driver never dropped below 70 even on inclines and still had power to accelerate if needed. But.... We only got 8 mpg and with the DEF container the fuel tank was relatively small. We had to stop every 200 miles for fuel.

At one time it seemed diesel was the only way to go. But I'm not so sure anymore. I don't see how the 6.2L gas engine Ford uses could have been any worse on fuel. It might not have pulled the trailer up inclines as fast. But the fuel tank is much larger, the trucks much less expensive to both buy and maintain, and it is my understanding that the lighter gas engine means more usable payload. I may be mistaken on the last point. On this trip it was payload that seemed to be the limiting factor, not raw power.

I realize that there are people who haul and tow heavy loads on a daily basis. I think the diesel still makes sense for them, especially in 1 ton and larger trucks, but I'm not so sure about a lot of people anymore. Even our local school system bought a few new buses this year with gas engines to see how they work. If it works out they may gradually phase out the diesel buses and convert to gas.

Thoughts!

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a gas Chevy 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and a gas 1 ton Chevy with the 454, the big block tows great, the 6.0 hills are noticeable, I prefer the old 454 truck in most situations other than parking lots. And Mileage is around 10 on the big block and 15 on the 6.0

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On the 2014 the gas tank is not "much larger", just 4-5 gallons. Pulling that load the gasser would probably be in the 6 mpg range and screaming at top rpms the whole time.
And before you ask, yes, I've driven both.....

That said, the 6.2 is not a bad motor at all, but its not going to compete pulling.

If you were buying a Camaro, would you opt for a v-6 or go the v-8? Both will take the car down the road, but.....

Last edited by tx270; 09/12/18.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hey Wyo, you must have 3:73 gears in that 6.0? I’ve had a 6.0 for the last 11 years and never I mean never got 15mpg with it. Closer to 9-12. Sure would like to know if 3:73 rear end would give ya that much better mileage...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have a 2012 f250 crew with 6.2

I pulled around 5000 lbs inside of my enclosed 26' car hauler in hills and high wind. tx270 is right, she explores a wide range in RPMs to get the job done. I was down in the 8ish range for average mpg. It's at those moments I miss the diesel but then I remember how much I hate diesel in general and I get over it real fast.

Something clever here.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My next truck will be an F250/350 with the 6.2 and 4.30 rear end. We're looking to get into a travel trailer in the 8-10k loaded range and I've no interest in the upfront or maintenance cost of a diesel. Most of our camping trips will be local within 3-4 hours or less anyhow

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is sorta what I'm thinking. I completely understand the amazing power and torque of the diesel engines. And for guys who pull or haul heavy loads on a daily basis diesel is the only way to go. But my friend won't pull that heavy trailer more than a few times a year, and the 800 mile round trip would probably be a once a year thing, Most other trips would be local. I'm just beginning to think it isn't that cost effective.

I have a BIL who bought a new F250 diesel in 1999 or 1998. At the time a crew cab wasn't available in an F150 and he wanted the cab. He rarely pulls anything that a 1/2 ton wouldn't pull. But at the time I think it made sense. Diesel fuel was 1/2 the price of gas and his truck gets very good fuel mileage. He still has it with around 300,000 miles and very few issues and I bet he could sell it today for 1/2 what he paid.

But today I'm just not so sure it is a good idea for many of us. The fuel mileage on newer diesels is down, and diesel is more expensive than gas.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I did not have a 9,000lb trailer to tow. I would be driving a standard cab 1500 4x4 with a small v8 or v6. With the lowest gearing they sell. I really looked at the 456 geared 5.9 gasser Power wagon before I bought the 07 5.9 diesel. But I paid $8k less for the diesel, than they wanted for the power wagon.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's torque for ya.....I pull a trailer 12 k lbs with a 99 suburban with a 454...it get the job done

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Here's what happens with a diesel truck.

you buy the truck and you get to pay way more money for the truck up front before you even start bleeding cash due to the ownership.

you get to the pump, you touch the pump handle with one finger and you are instantly coated head to toe with diesel, which you get to smell as you drive, as you raise your coffee or water bottle to your face, as you eat your breakfast sammich etc. It's on you now, for the day, embrace it. Not to mention that 3 oz of fuel that dumped out of the nozzle and on top of your boot as you were positioning the nozzle to insert into the fuel filler on the truck. (it soaks into leather really well) It's handy that diesel nozzles are ALWAYS full of fuel for you to spill on your boots, pants etc. Diesel fuel pumps are the ghettos of the filling station.

Oil chainge? Great news! Your truck holds 3 gallons of the most expensive engine oil ever produced and the change intervals are on par with the last gas truck you owned.... The filter? That's not cheap, why the hell would that be cheap? Since you are changing filters, why don't you do the fuel filters too? (yes plural). You have now serviced your engine for $160 (if you do it yourself) and you are good for another 5000 miles!

Now you go on that hunting trip. Did you know the front of your truck weighs 5 trillion tons? You'll figure that out once you reach some mud and or deep snow.

She's a champ on pavement with a trailer hitched up tho, no denying that. Now where did I put that jug of DEF?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
2002 GMC with the 6.0, 3.73 rear end. 15 mpg on the highway with no trailer. 9-10 mpg with a 3000 pound trailer. I've pulled up to 11000 pounds, it did it, but it was slow and high rev.

6.0 is a plug, but it's enough.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by northern_dave

you buy the truck and you get to pay way more money for the truck up front before you even start bleeding cash due to the ownership.

you get to the pump, you touch the pump handle with one finger and you are instantly coated head to toe with diesel, which you get to smell as you drive, as you raise your coffee or water bottle to your face, as you eat your breakfast sammich etc. It's on you now, for the day, embrace it. Not to mention that 3 oz of fuel that dumped out of the nozzle and on top of your boot as you were positioning the nozzle to insert into the fuel filler on the truck. (it soaks into leather really well) It's handy that diesel nozzles are ALWAYS full of fuel for you to spill on your boots, pants etc. Diesel fuel pumps are the ghettos of the filling station.

Oil chainge? Great news! Your truck holds 3 gallons of the most expensive engine oil ever produced and the change intervals are on par with the last gas truck you owned.... The filter? That's not cheap, why the hell would that be cheap? Since you are changing filters, why don't you do the fuel filters too? (yes plural). You have now serviced your engine for $160 (if you do it yourself) and you are good for another 5000 miles!

Now you go on that hunting trip. Did you know the front of your truck weighs 5 trillion tons? You'll figure that out once you reach some mud and or deep snow.

She's a champ on pavement with a trailer hitched up tho, no denying that. Now where did I put that jug of DEF?

I am blown away. This is the greatest and most accurate description of anything I have ever read.

Yes sir.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 35

That would be good.

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or changing fuel filters on a diesel in February outside in Alaska.. is enough to cure you of wanting a diesel.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dont know about Alaska, but I gelled up a Duramax with straight no.1 and Stanadyne one winter.

I quit using Stanadyne after that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Meh, still worth it to me. smile

Yes, fuel filters cost me about $100.00 every 15k miles, I change the oil and filter every 7500, cost me about $60.00 in oil & the filter. Upside is I drive 25-30k a year, and the fuel savings more than make up for the increased cost of filters and oil. Hand calculated overall average of just over 17 mpg, including my commute, my towing and my interstate driving. Equivalent 3/4 gas truck would probably be in the 12-13mpg range. Neat thing on the Ram trucks is the Towing odometer. Truck is now at 109k, total miles with a trailer hooked up is 26k, so I probably tow more than the average suburban dweller, although much less than the guy who drives for a living. The ease of towing is another plus. No shortage of torque with a 6000lb vehicle on a 2000lb trailer.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hey, if ya need it ya need it.

Or if ya like it, don't need to "need it" I guess.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True dat..........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do pickup level diesels have to have that special additive?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (338reddog, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 34 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.