Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Many people are not aware that the EPA started regulating chainsaws about 2000 with stages of more stringent emissions. Stratified charge, lean burn, restrictive and/or catalytic mufflers, locked carb jet screws,etc,etc.. IMO the best bet is to look for a lightly used pre-EPA pro saw or a professionally rebuilt pre-EPA saw from a good saw shop. Look at the serial number tag, if it states a year of 2000 or later it has emission control features. Older saws have a serial number with no year.

This. I have three pre-EPA saws, two newer emission saws One of which I sent out and had A muscle saw build out of it,emissions removed MS 461, It is for display use only I do not cut firewood with it,(test saw). A pre-EPA Or even an EPA saw professionally built is a totally different animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenster99
I use both an older Husky 266 thats been hot-rodded, and a newer Stihl 441 Magnum. I would say they are equal. Have had the Husky for 40 plus years!
[Linked Image]

I see your Husky 266 and raise with my McCulloch 450 Super Pro. wink

[Linked Image]

I would love to have that H, though.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Forgot my maul that day to drive in some falling wedges, so used the H for that!!
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I got tired of burning up gas saws.

I cut a lot when I cut and then it just sits and all the rubber in them go's.

I went threw 4 electric saws they just do not make them to hold up to real work.

I got talked into buying an Husky electric for around $350 if my memory is correct.

I burned it up cutting two small trees a China Berry maybe 16" dia. and a young Pecan close to 8" dia.

I just bought a Stihl MS311 with an 3/8 X .050 chain

I get to see how long this one will last.

I did buy there premix fuel so it will not be the fuel that crocks it if it go's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big [bleep] deal. I see that crap 24. 7.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
After my Grandpa died, my Dad gave me his saw. Husqvarna 2100 cd, man that thing screams. Nothing wrong with old saws IMO.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
About 10 years ago someone stole the Homelite 16" saw out of my truck. If I ever find that guy I'll shake his hand. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a decent saw and ended up with a Stihl 310 with a 20" bar. I needed to cut some bigger logs at the time. There may be "bettter" saws, but I paid $400 at the time and it has served me well. My research at the time led me to Husky and Stihl as the best options for me at the time. When I asked about repair the Stihl could be worked on in house at the local hardware store. The Husky would have to be sent off. That was the deciding factor.

That is a big saw for most of my needs, but it is easier to make a big saw work on small projects than the other way. But a couple of years later I bought a 14" Echo. To be honest it gets used more and either is 10X better than the Homelite that was stolen.

I'll burn 2-3 cords each winter. The Pro models are great I'm sure, but I've been happy with these and they serve my needs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Same here, happened about 32-33 years ago, went and bought a 028 Super Wood Boss, it has kept us warm and roads clear ever since.
Went last spring and bought a Echo 590 just to have a 2nd saw since the Stihl was so old [allowed son to take 021 when he left], not disappointed with that one either.
It is Echo's only Japanese made saw I believe?
But as mentioned, a good bar, running saw and loop makes all the difference no matter brand.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Older the better. Especially with Husky. You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky. Thought I should mention that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky

Taco Bell is owned by Yum! out of California.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I've been looking at both of those models. I have some big saws but I want something smaller for firewood chores.

I've been looking at husq 550XP

But I've got the big saw/little saw covered pretty well already do I don't really have an excuse.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I've been looking at both of those models. I have some big saws but I want something smaller for firewood chores.

But I've got the big saw/little saw covered pretty well already do I don't really have an excuse.

That is one badass saw

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
get you one of them yellow chisel chains to go with it. them suckers rip wood like nothing else

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Older the better. Especially with Husky. You guys must know a vacuum company named Electrolux makes husky. Thought I should mention that.

My Husky's run just fine, cut just fine, and last me just fine. I gave both of them a workout for a few months after the hurricane here last year. Hardwoods.

You know a sewing machine company named Singer made Govt. Model 1911?

Thought I should mention that. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rooster7

That is one badass saw

I been eyeballing that 550xp since it came out. Power to weight is very nice, it's not a baby saw, not a big saw either.. think it's under 11 pounds or about 11 with a bar on it. Small chain, .325 but that's ok. Not everything has to cut a 3/8 notch.

I got no need tho, I have a bigger jonsered pro saw and a baby (I bought Dusty's 2152 on his auction)

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

My Husky's run just fine, cut just fine, and last me just fine. I gave both of them a workout for a few months after the hurricane here last year. Hardwoods.

Electrolux makes refrigerators and freezers in .... sauk centre mn?

Husq and Jonsered are both made in Sweden, under the same roof.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Electrolux makes refrigerators and freezers in .... sauk centre mn?

Husq and Jonsered are both made in Sweden, under the same roof.

Yeah, have one of each. Both excellent saws.

I have run a Stihl more than anything in my adult life, while surveying and cutting brush/trees for survey line. I like the Husky's better.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you being an idiot or trying to start a pissing match. Either way I have more experience in the bush working than all on this thread combined including Big Stick. So flame the [bleep] on

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've run Stihl plenty too. I've pulled the rope on the white and orange, heap big plenty. Still pulling... can't get started.... lol!

No, Good stuff. One of my fav Stihl saws was a little top handle climbing saw. I don't think they make it anymore. My oldest boy just bought a new home owner level stihl. So far so good, it's got a weird spring loaded recoil, starts one pull and you can pull super slow. Like you are pulling a spring and it doesnt turn the motor until you are almost full pull. Funny, it reminds me of a spring loaded wind up push mower I had once. Top of the motor had a crank you wind up like a spring loaded wind up toy. then you flip a little lever and the loaded spring spins the engine over. lol

Something clever here.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Ya always have an excuse for another Chainsaw , Tractor and any other tool you want.

Ya did see I did not say Need just want.
Where there is a will there is a way.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.