Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The thread on Paul McCartney has me thinking about the way most of us on the 'fire were raised. Eating home grown tomatoes, shooting cap pistols, , then BB guns. Riding horses, driving at an early age.

I fear we are a drying breed. I don't like those cityfied ways.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
good post. yes, we have seen and are going through unprecedented changes. it's difficult to know what to drag along with us, and what to leave behind.

information is flooding the world, hardly any time to assess what's good and what's less good. and then there's more info to take into account.

the old folks use to have a chance to live with the seasons. now, it's change 24/7.

we likely reached the tipping point some time ago, and nobody knew.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wabigoon,

ImVho, both genders here in TX (outside of a few BIG cities) were generally raised in that way. And YEP, I fear that you are correct.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's interesting but kind of weird-funny at the same time to hear different generations reminisce about the 'Good Ol' Days' remembrances of growing up and daily life of their generation.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
when i was 40 years old, some new hire kid brought a computer and set it down on my desk. i didn't even know how to turn the beast on.

my grandfather plowed with a team of mules to maintain his fifty acre self-reliant farm.

when cotton was king, they did well. otherwise it was off to the woods.

nowadays my Grands can tell you all about their I-phones.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My kids are growing up just like I did.

Its VERY expensive to do that though.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What we generally miss is the blissful ignorance and innocence of our youth. No matter how you try to get those days back, they are gone forever.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What we generally miss is the blissful ignorance and innocence of our youth. No matter how you try to get those days back, they are gone forever.

That be fact.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My kids are growing up just like I did.

Its VERY expensive to do that though.

This be fact, too.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
having kids in general, and raising them to follow whatever way has become very expensive.

somebody always pays, either the parent, community or the state & fed. gov'ts.

kids are no longer an economic advantage like when they were raised back on the farm.

now days everything associated with them is a cost item. tough to understand but true.

but a lot of folks are still choosing to have big families. sure, it's a choice but costly to somebody.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm of the same generation too. But I grew up in Chicago, not on the ranch or farm. So here is how a "city Boy" grew up on the south side of Chicago.

In the winter I shoveled snow and made money. Come summer, I cut grass and ran errands, more money.
Every saturday, I took the family laundry in my "Radio Flyer" to the laundromat,- I was around 12- Mom let me keep the change.

I walked to school, grammer and High. Thought nothing of it.

If I wanted to go fishing, there were parks with lagoons full of bluegill and bass. Hop on the bike, gone for the whole day, no one bothered me.

Two miles away was a park district park with a lagoon, golf course,swimming pool, and archery range. That snow shoveling and errand money came in real handy.

I could take a CTA buss to the lakeshore for .25 cents and spend the whole day at The Museam of Science and Industry. Go on the captured German U - 505 Submarine. Check out the WW2 warplanes hanging from the ceiling. Go down to the "Coal Mine" in the basement. Or walk over to Lake Michigan and fish for perch and later, salmon.

Rode the bus by myself. Black or white areas, no body bothered you. The cops were your friend. Hang out on the beach, listen to guys playing music along the seawall.

Now a days I wouldn't feel safe anywhere where I grew up. Things change.

Went in the Army in '68, Got out in '71. Already Chicago was changing. Not for the good either. In '74, bought a house in the burbs, Fishe, Hunted, Played golf, Rode my motorcycle, and shot a lot of trap and skeet. All with in 40 miles of the big city.

Grew up to be able to take care of myself, respect others, and mind my own business. Like to think that the majority of Americans still hold to those values.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess we are 50 years behind up here.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That might be true. It might also be good.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't have to go very far to find some places where people still live much like they did when I was growing up. Harrison County Kentucky still has teenagers cruising the town square on summer evenings. Young guys still shoot guns and pick up money doing farm work.

It's not too hard to pretend that it's still the mid 60's in a lot of rural Ky.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I'm of the same generation too. But I grew up in Chicago, not on the ranch or farm. So here is how a "city Boy" grew up on the south side of Chicago.

In the winter I shoveled snow and made money. Come summer, I cut grass and ran errands, more money.
Every saturday, I took the family laundry in my "Radio Flyer" to the laundromat,- I was around 12- Mom let me keep the change.

I walked to school, grammer and High. Thought nothing of it.

If I wanted to go fishing, there were parks with lagoons full of bluegill and bass. Hop on the bike, gone for the whole day, no one bothered me.

Two miles away was a park district park with a lagoon, golf course,swimming pool, and archery range. That snow shoveling and errand money came in real handy.

I could take a CTA buss to the lakeshore for .25 cents and spend the whole day at The Museam of Science and Industry. Go on the captured German U - 505 Submarine. Check out the WW2 warplanes hanging from the ceiling. Go down to the "Coal Mine" in the basement. Or walk over to Lake Michigan and fish for perch and later, salmon.

Rode the bus by myself. Black or white areas, no body bothered you. The cops were your friend. Hang out on the beach, listen to guys playing music along the seawall.

Now a days I wouldn't feel safe anywhere where I grew up. Things change.

Went in the Army in '68, Got out in '71. Already Chicago was changing. Not for the good either. In '74, bought a house in the burbs, Fishe, Hunted, Played golf, Rode my motorcycle, and shot a lot of trap and skeet. All with in 40 miles of the big city.

Grew up to be able to take care of myself, respect others, and mind my own business. Like to think that the majority of Americans still hold to those values.

Fubar old as fugk!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I grew up in the country, the city has moved out to us

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I grew up in the country, the city has moved out to us

yes, pretty much my story as well. and also many other folks.

have hunted many tracts in many different counties in georgia.

what has happened is that those tracts & others have been developed.

they're full of people now. the tax base has gone up for sure.

kids in those developments cannot hunt out the back door.

they turn to other activities, such as computer games.

and guess what? the city ain't stopping either.

observing how it plays out is fun or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Earlier this year, my grandmother was laid to rest at 101yrs of age. She was a great lady, and a schoolteacher professionally for most of her adult life, but she started out as any other farm girl, a hundred years ago.
One of the best conversations I've ever had with her (and there were legion) was about all the changes she has seen in her life, from the first sighting of an airplane while plowing with a mule (her brother thought it was aliens) to her first plane ride. Slate chalk boards to computers that she showed her the world. Walking to church and a one room schoolhouse to touring the battle sites of Normandy and many others, and to see the Aurora Borialis for herself on a cruise ship.
After college she taught others about the world, and as a geriatric she got to see it for herself. She never stopped learning,
I miss her.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In some ways, my kids are growing up better than I did. Some ways not. Overall, we are keeping them rural and keeping them in church. They are exposed to tremendous church leadership.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's been my experience that those folks raised up many years ago, and especially those with a farm background, , were brought up with much different values than 99% of those who weren't.

You can tell that by what you see on here.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.