Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 40 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 39 40
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Grizzly is heavily favored in any encounter with a human and it is not even close. That is the chance one takes when you wander into their neighborhood.

Again my condolences for the deceased and the family he left behind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
This thread is disgusting.

Yes, it is.

The biggest threat most of the armchair quarterbacks have ever faced is getting kicked out of their mom's basement.

But they are true experts...Dontcha know?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Being reported in the update, that they found the GUIDES glock at the scene. Not saying if it was fired.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Brings to mind something a friend (now deceased), once said years ago. George was wheelchair bound, paraplegic waist down from combat injuries suffered while serving with the USMC in RSVN.

A group of us, mostly younger guys, gathered outside church one Fall evening grabbing a smoke or chew after having a great meal. All of us hunters, archery season opener just days away, so bow hunting quickly became the main topic of discussion. The question of what animal in the whole world we each would like to hunt if we could was posed.

It started out with answers of the usual typically docile animals not common to our part of the country, and soon escalated with each reply getting bigger and more dangerous than previous guy's.

When it got to be George's turn he left everyone slack-jawed (George was a known excellent experienced hunter, especially with a bow) when his reply took it back to something as docile and harmless as possible. When asked why, George replied, "I ain't about to hunt anything that's big and eats meat... ".

Someone else asked, "Why not"?

George answered with a, 'are you really that clueless', look of his, 'picture me and this wheel chair, trying to out-run a pissed-off Grizzly, lion, tiger,...'.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Public landowner...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't think you could call it that. One of the most experienced brown bears guides there is, and he chose to carry the weapon that he used to successfully put down the bear that charged his client.

That says more than 25 pages of internet blather on the subject.

I had thought I was expressing admiration for the gentleman in question.

Not that it has anything to do with the subject of the original post....

A grizzly attack?

...or the fact that there is a Gofundme page set up for the guide who had five children.

Already gave as much as I could manage.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Guess momma and her cub were killed yesterday morning by game and fish. Maybe that's already been put on here.

https://buckrail.com/game-fish-we-got-the-right-bears-one-was-sprayed-more-details-of-the-encounter/

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, RIP.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Shrapnel, I do not even know what I don’t know, nor would I pretend to have any knowledge, I like that pistol you have! On the other hand the new custom shop deluxe 629 with 3 inch barrel looks a lot like your 357.

Think of what 7 rounds from a manageable gun can do compared to 6 with considerable recoil. I find that bullets in the dirt don’t work as well as bullets in the bear...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC the 9mm example was a compact nine (3.5” barrel), eight rounds delivered to the head and neck, Buffalo Bore147gr +P+ solids.

Down here I had been packing a 10mm Glock 29 in the woods after encountering a testy really big feral boar, after that Alaska grizzly incident I went back to my Glock 19, faster and easier to shoot.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They now say the hunter was pulled off of his horse, and the Glock pistol found at the scene was the guides handgun, the guide did have bear spray and the dead sow had traces of pepper spray on her when she charged rescuers and was shot dead by the Fish and game team that was part of the rescue effort.
Its sad day for all involved, especially a young widow and 5 fatherless children.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cinch

Bears destroyed? For what? They were attacking other animals (as far as they were concerned) that were messing with the meal they discovered laying there that morning. That's the nature of a bear.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The bears were not feeding on the elk, it has been reported that the animal was found intact, the sow bear attacked two grown men, killing only one because the other mounted his horse and escaped, the the bear drug the guide 3-4 hundred yards and proceeded to feed on his body, the year old cub was caught in a snare and the sow attacked the rescuers and was shot dead.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Bears destroyed? For what?

I'll go out on a limb here and say because they attacked two people and killed one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
A few years ago while bow hunting Island Park not too far from Yellowstone we were seeing big bear tracks everywhere. I killed my elk early in the season but continued to go up and call for my friend that called mine in for me. I carried my call, my 45/70 guide gun loaded with 350 grain hornady flat noses at almost 2100 fps and my 329 pd full of 300 grain xtps.

I was sitting in the truck waiting for my friend to squat in the woods when a warden pulled up to check me. He asked what I was doing with the rifle and I told him I had already tagged out but was carrying it while I called for my friend because we had seen so much bear sign. He said they had caught 13 different Grizzlies in a live trap that summer just a mile or so up the road towards the store. I asked where they were relocated too and he said they weren't relocated just tagged or collared and released again. He said they are all likely still in the area and a hunter just up the road had just saw 3 together at the same time.

He the proceeded to tell me I shouldn't carry the guns I should just get bear spray. I told him I was more comfortable with the guns. He said you'll think that until you use them and the Feds come down on you and ruin your life. He said even if it is self defense you better have some serious injuries if you shoot a griz because the Feds will investigate it like crazy and do everything they can to ruin your life. He said you can try to fight it in court but they'll bankrupt you in the process and likely let a murderer out of jail to make room for you. He said they bring in teams in helicopters and do intense forensic and crime scene investigation whenever a hunter injures a griz. He was cool about which idaho fish and game cops aren't always. He said he was just letting me know how bad it can get if you defend yourself against a bear with a gun. That was under the Obama regime a few years ago so maybe it's less intense now.

Bb

My impression is that authorities in Alaska are not nearly as protective of the bears in such a situation. I do know that they require you to forfeit the dead bear and file a report. Of course, Alaska is not short on bears.

However, if anyone can correct this, feel free.

Norm
BTDT and you are pretty much spot on with your take. The old adage about having to have claw or bite marks before you DLP a bear is nonsense, we shot that sow at about 15 yards as she was charging us and the troopers had no issue with us killing that bear. When it comes to dealing with bears, I don't give a hoot about the law or what the feds are going to do when it comes to shooting an attacking bear, self preservation is first and foremost.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'll go out on a limb here and say because they attacked two people and killed one.

Bears are known to kill other animals they perceive are messing with their food. They don't classify us as something distinct from other animals, that they can't kill for fear of prosecution and punishment from the authorities.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Bears are known to kill other animals they perceive are messing with their food. They don't classify us as something distinct from other animals, that they can't kill for fear of prosecution and punishment from the authorities.

You really are that dense aren't you. Bears who attack people with impunity will do it again. What they classify us as is irrelevant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very tragic story. Sounds like the guide hit her with bear spray. It's getting very dangerous to hunt elk in NW Wyoming. Grizzly populations are growing. Seems like it was just a couple years ago that another hunter got jumped by a griz that was on his elk.

Prayers for the family.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You really are that dense aren't you. Bears who attack people with impunity will do it again. What they classify us as is irrelevant.

If that's your position, you'd better advocate for eliminating bears from places where people hunt, since none of them know it's against the law to kill people messing with a meal they've decided belongs to them. Rather, you should advocate for people in bear country being armed and ready to defend themselves from bears that attack. Seeking revenge on bears makes no sense, however.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You really are more dense than I thought, which I didn't think was possible.

It's not revenge, it's prevention. The majority of bears don't attack people, and don't become problems. When they do, they need to be taken out.

It's really simple if you think about it.

Page 9 of 40 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.