Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So yeah, every body seems to want a shorter magazine and there seems to be a few who have tried to make flush bottom metal but I've only found one reference to cutting a magazine down and that was on the 6.5Grendal forum, which I seem to no longer be a member of or able to join again.

So I decided to make a go of it and started with one of the factory 10 round .223 magazines:
[Linked Image]

First I disassembled the magazine which is particularly easy on these magazines:
[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Right I'm committed now!
I needed something for the floor plate to slot over and it just so happens there's this handy ridge right where it's needed, I measured down 3mm and made a cut all around it with a coping saw:
[Linked Image]

I then used a file with a smooth side to remove the remnants of the vertical ridges and also a small portion of the front of the magazine locking ridge:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This allowed me to slide on the floor plate, so then I tried it in the rifle and found I couldn't quite lock it into the rifle as the floor plate was a fraction too thick.
By sanding down the face and trying it a few times, I found that by taking off about 1mm it allowed the magazine to lock in easily:
[Linked Image]

I assembled it as it was and found that it would hold 4 rounds and feed perfectly but of course I wanted more (for less).
The follower proved to be the culprit, it was too long at the front to allow the 5th round to fit in and the back was again about 2mm too long:
[Linked Image]

T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
More cutting and sanding:
[Linked Image]

And that's it, as you can see it fit's much better and with a trimmed down magazine release lever as well, the rifle is actually comfortable to carry in the hands or slung over the shoulder.
And if I'm parked up well I have two spare 10 round magazines I can always use
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Finally, how does it function?

Last edited by Te_Hopo; 09/18/18.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is a good job well done! Those Howa minis would be a fun rifle to have. Is that a stainless steel version? What is the max overall cartridge length you can use in the magazine?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
T
Te_Hopo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Phasmid
That is a good job well done! Those Howa minis would be a fun rifle to have. Is that a stainless steel version? What is the max overall cartridge length you can use in the magazine?

Yeah here in New Zealand we get a stainless version with a factory threaded barrel.
The internal length of the magazine is 59mm or 2.32 inches at the maximum.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I hope LSI imports that model to the US someday. That magazine length gives some latitude to play with seating depth if you are handloading.Great country NZ. I got to visit once, mostly work with a little fishing time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.