Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

I had just had new ball joints and tie rod ends put on the truck. I had driven almost 900 miles since the repair.

Sounds like the shop that did the ball joints didn't properly tighten the lug nuts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by memtb
Lost the rear wheel on my motorcycle, in a short-track heat race.....didn’t win! whistle memtb

LOL! I don't guess you did.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In high school we were gonna run up to Winnepeg Manitoba for drag races. Going down the road in my 63 impala sis with 409 and a tire passes us. We were doing 70 and no vibration at all . Slowed down and at about 20 the left front end went down on the brake drum. No problem. Found the tire in the wheat field and stole lug nuts from the other wheels and went on our way. Good times. Ed k

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was pulling my Datsun 260Z from Ohio to Oregon many years ago. Was using a U Haul rental hitch. My pick up was a 78 chev.
I started hearing a growling coming from the rear. Shortly there after the left rear tire and wheel came off and passed me. Fortunately there was no traffic and I was able to control the vehicles.
Apparently I or someone did not tighten the lug nuts.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I came damn close once while hauling a load of hay on my 89 F250 flatbed. Was on the interstate and the truck felt like I was getting a flat tire. Glad I pulled over to check because I was down to one single lug nut holding my wheel on. Had just had new tires put on a few hundred miles earlier. The shop that did that work paid my tow bill, replaced damaged lugs and lost nuts. Mechanic admitted that he most likely got side tracked and failed to tighten that wheel. I still go to the same shop.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha! I found it.........

good stuff......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was going to the post office in Elizabeth (TR knows the place), before NAPA moved across the road. The little cable end that holds the spare up, under the 99 f-350 broke. The spare fell down vertical-like and jacked/raised the ass-end of the truck up, felt like hitting a big ol' speed bump. The wheel took off rolling across the parking lot and ran smack-dab into the wall off the backroom at NAPA. It was probably going about 35-40..... It knocked a buncha crap off the shelves and scared the piss outta the guy that was turning brake drums in there. Good thing was, they was quick to order me a new winch for the spare while I was there.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lost a set of dually's off a 1 ton. Twice, 15 years apart. Both loaded. One halfway up the Pahsimero. That wasn't a cheap tow.

Lost a front wheel off a Tacoma. Kinda. Ball joint snapped in the mechanic's driveway and "plop", there she sat.

But the one I remember most vividly is pulling a load up the east side of Snoqualmie in the semi, and losing both rear drive tires on the driver's side. Never did find either tire, as far as I know, they are still rolling.

I'm better at checking lug nuts, now.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You picked a fine time to leave me, Loose Wheel......

Kenny Rogers

...Four hundred children and a crop in the field....

That was an odd song.

That was during Kenny's wild drug days..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No I haven't but I have found a couple of trailer tires on the side of the road, one compete with the drum and bearings!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I"ve never lost one, but was heading east on I-80 in central Pa. one time headed to deer camp and the semi next to me on my right side lost a tire off it's trailer. Luckily it was on the other side of the truck and went off the side of the road. Those big tires could do one heck of a lot of damage if they hit a car.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another time I was coming home on the old hiway, which is the service road that parallels I-70 right by the ranch. The UP mainline track runs next to the old hiway. The rear dual drivers(complete with axle sticking out) from the passenger side of a semi on the interstate, came off at 70 mph. They rolled down the bar ditch between the roads, and jumped the old hiway about 30 feet in the air. They landed in the field between the road and tracks, rolling full-steam. When they hit the raised track bed, they was airborne again, this time maybe 50 feet high. They plowed thru my steer pasture fence, and ended up about a half mile down into the creekbottom. I felt sorry for the female truck driver, as there was no way she coulda rolled them duals back to the rig(even being about 400 pounds herself). I run home and grabbed a chain and the tractor and retrieved them for her. Her truck set there overnight before she could get towed to a shop in Limon, and get back on the road. She didn't even offer to fix my fence......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
2010 got a new white pickup. Had the bed spray lined and decided to do the rear wheel-wells also so they would match the fronts. About 9-10 miles after leaving the shop the driver side rear tire left me on a slight curve. The shop owner's son forgot to tighten up the lugs on one wheel. The lug nuts ended up on the roadway with all of them close enough to scoop them up in one swipe. I marveled at that. Damaged the aluminum wheel, lug nuts, studs, fender flare and some brake components.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
78 dodge power wagon, 6" lift kit

Driver's side front

Going around a curve, a 36" mudder passed me. I was like what the hell...
Wheel crossed the the road, jumped an embankment, took out 3 strands barbed wire and went about 400 yard down in a pasture full of black angus. lol

Oh...the good part- put the drivetrain geometry in a bind, blew the ujoint on the front transfer short shaft, the shaft dropped hit the pavement and rammed itself back up into the front of the transfer case.

Sucked

Were'nt too bad, I had a spare 79 powerwagon. Rebuilt the whole thing and decided to drop a 383 big block in while doing the transfer work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a Passenger side front wheel come off my snow plow truck. I tighten the 1 1/8" lugs with a 4' breaker bar. I always assumed it was another plow guy, who thought he did not need the competition.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

I had just had new ball joints and tie rod ends put on the truck. I had driven almost 900 miles since the repair.

Sounds like the shop that did the ball joints didn't properly tighten the lug nuts.

But it went 900 miles before coming apart? I don’t think so. No one here believes that, not the insurance company, not the body shop that will do this work, not several others.

30 miles? Likely, but not 900 miles.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Watched the left side set of duals come off a semi trailer. He was turnin right, they hopped up on an elevated median and straightened out traveling down the median a hundred yards or some before stopping. Lotta oncoming traffic on the otherside, how or why they stayed on that median I'll never know. Chased down the driver and told him what had happened, he had no idea.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yer stories believable to me. They quick hit em with the air wrench and never torqued em. Took awhile for all 5 or 8 of em to work loose.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dad ordered a brand new half ton Ford 4x4 when I was a kid and we hopped in it about a month after he got it and headed to KS to hunt pheasants. Easing down a dirt road with 6’ banks on either side at daylight heading to a field to walk when a guy in an old Toyota pickup comes tearing out of his driveway about a 1/4 mile ahead of us and slides onto the road giving her hell in our direction. About 100 yards before we met his left front tire takes off on it’s own heading right toward us at about 60mph. Nowhere we could go and we were both thinking that if we lived dad was going to be some kind of pissed when that tire wrecks his shiny new truck.

As I was sliding down into the floorboards to take cover I glimpsed that tire taking a hard left turn for whatever reason about 30’ off our bumper. It climbed right up the embankment and hopped the fence to spin out harmlessly into the pasture.

The dude jumps out and starts hollering asking if we have a jack and a 4way because he’s late for work and going to get fired. We helped him get everything together and then he says, “ this damn thing does that all the time” as he’s robbing lug nuts off the other three corners. We get to looking and none of his 6 bolt wheels have more than 3 lugs on them. He spun them on and dropped her off the jack, said thanks and spun out heading for town.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.