-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From today's Jackson Hole News and Guide--probably not going to change anyone's mind, but it is a comprehensive account that will clear up some of the questions:

The grizzly bear that caused tragedy high in the Teton Wilderness never let up from a full-bore charge before hitting the Jackson Hole outfitter she fatally mauled.

When the approximately 250-pound sow bruin first came into view, pounding downhill out of a clearing, Mark Uptain was removing the head of a four-by-four bull elk for his client, Corey Chubon.

It was Friday afternoon, and the elk’s four quarters had been removed without any sign of bears. Chubon had killed the elk with an arrow the day before, but the hunters didn’t find the carcass until Friday. Even so, the hunters saw no sign grizzlies had touched it.

The sow grizzly, in other words, was not coming back to claim her meal. Her 1 1/2-year-old male cub was nearby, but ultimately he was watching from the outskirts and wasn’t being threatened. Nevertheless, she was not bluffing.

“It just came on a full run,” said Brad Hovinga, who supervises the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Jackson Region. “There was no hesitation.”

Even for grizzlies, which are inherently protective and aggressive animals, this is unusual behavior.

“A female with a yearling attacking in this manner, I’ve never dealt with that,” said Dan Thompson, Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief.

The now-dead grizzly, around 10 years old, was in good shape, with plenty of fat and nothing outwardly wrong.

Chubon, who did not respond to repeated requests for interviews, provided the above account to Wyoming Game and Fish investigators. The Florida man, who was on a guided Martin Outfitters bow hunt with his father, relayed his recollection to Game and Fish at length on several occasions.

As the bear first hit Uptain, who carried bear spray in a hip-slung holster, Chubon went for a Glock that his guide had left with their gear a few yards uphill. For some reason, he could not get the handgun to fire. When the female grizzly diverted her attention away from Uptain and toward the Floridian, he tossed the pistol to his guide. Evidently, it didn’t make it to Uptain, who was a lifelong elk hunter, small-business owner and family man.

Within moments, the bear turned back toward Uptain. Chubon, whose leg, chest and arms were lacerated by the bruin, ran for his life. His last view of Uptain, which he relayed to investigators, was of the guide on his feet trying to fight off the sow.

In an interview with the Orlando, Florida TV station WKMG, he described Uptain as his hero.

“I’m just extremely blessed and fortunate to have made it out of this situation alive,” Chubon told WKMG.

Bolting from the chaos, Chubon huffed it uphill to the duo’s horses, mounted one and rode uphill to a ridgeline near the crest of 10,258-foot-high Terrace Mountain in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Amazingly, he caught a signal to phone authorities, who flew in to rescue him. Teton County Undersheriff Matt Carr, who was among the first responders, said the call out was a feat in itself.

“I’m not quite sure how he did that, because there’s no cell service out there at all,” Carr said. “That’s something we could not duplicate when we were there on the scene.”

Using the description from Chubon, searchers in a helicopter were able to locate the elk carcass that caused conflict around 7 p.m. Friday. There was less than an hour of daylight left, and the call was made to suspend the search until sunup Saturday.

“We ran out of flight time,” Carr said. “Helicopter restrictions don’t allow us to fly past a hard-and-fast time. And by that point, we couldn’t get ground teams in. The risk to the rescuers was far too great at that moment.”

It will never be known exactly what unfolded between the grizzlies and Uptain after Chubon left the scene.

When Carr and Game and Fish wardens Jon Stephens and Kyle Lash arrived at the quartered elk early Saturday morning to continue the search, they initially assumed that a drag mark heading downhill was from Uptain. Later, investigators discovered this was the slick left from the elk’s gut pile.

“It was confusing, because there was blood and struggle and debris from the elk dying,” Hovinga said. “There was a blood trail from the wounded elk coming in. On the scene, it was difficult to determine whose blood was whose.”

The gut pile drag mark heading downhill drew searchers attention away from where Uptain had died 50 yards uphill from the elk carcass, in a grove of timber. The nature of the 37-year-old’s fatal injuries and lack of a drag trail uphill suggest that he was able to walk after the initial attack, about 50 yards, but ultimately was killed by the grizzlies near where he was found.

“From the nature of his injuries, his death was pretty instantaneous,” Teton County Coroner Brent Blue said. “His fatal injuries were fatal instantly. He wasn’t going to be walking after the fatal injury.”

Bites to Uptain’s head likely ended his life, Blue said. Although there was massive trauma, his body was intact and showed no signs of having been fed upon.

At some point during the struggle, Uptain was able to douse the adult sow with bear spray, which has a high probability of thwarting an attack.

“When we were looking at the [adult female bear’s] head,” Hovinga said, “we could smell it, and we could feel it.”

Hovinga was quick to point out that bear spray was not put to use at the time of the initial attack — perhaps because there wasn’t time.

“We feel that he deployed that bear spray sometime after the initial attack, but before he succumbed to his injuries,” he said. “A lot of people have said, ‘Well, he sprayed the bear, and it didn’t do any good.’ We can’t say that. We can’t say that bear spray wasn’t completely effective.”

The discharged canister was near where he died, not at the elk carcass downhill. The thrown firearm was found uphill of the bull elk’s scattered remains, but downhill and distanced from Uptain’s body.

After locating Uptain around 1:15 p.m. Saturday, Teton County Search and Rescue, Game and Fish and citizen search teams that grew to about 30 people flew out and rode out on horseback.

Game and Fish large carnivore biologists set out three leghold snares concealed in cubbies in an attempt to livetrap one or both of the grizzlies in the overnight hours. Aboard an airship that clattered overhead Sunday morning, they could not see if it worked. But after unloading from the chopper late Sunday morning, Thompson, Lash, Stephens and Game and Fish colleagues Brian Baker and Mike Boyce could make out bawls that told them they had captured the cub.

“Based on the vocalizations and the different tones, we knew we had a younger bear,” Thompson said.

The worst-case scenario was trapping the cub, with mom running free. That’s what happened. The quintet of biologists and wardens, four of whom were armed, chose a path in the relative open in the effort to gain a vantage point of the trap. The sow heard them coming.

“She appeared on a full charge,” Thompson said. “When she visualized five of us standing there, she paused for a second. We had guns up. There was a question, ‘Do we take her?’ I said take her.”

A barrage of gunfire ended the life of the grizzly that killed Mark Uptain. Her stomach was “full of elk meat,” one indication that told the Game and Fish folks that they had killed the right bear. Paws with pads and claws that matched tracks left at the scene the day before further corroborated the connection, and DNA evidence has been sent to a Laramie lab to cement that the right bears were killed.

The cub, about a 150-pound animal, was sedated before Thompson made the call to kill the sow’s dependent as well. His primary reasoning was that Uptain’s injuries suggested the cub was not a passive bystander.

“That yearling was involved in the attack,” Thompson said, “and was a contributing factor to his fatality.”

Asked if there were lessons to be learned from the fatal attack, Thompson said there was no “overt” wrongdoing or decisions made that belie best practices for hunting in grizzly country. Game and Fish’s large carnivore chief also stood behind his decision-making.

“I’m 100 percent confident that we removed the target individuals, and I’m also 100 percent confident that was the right thing to do,” Thompson said. “She was teaching an offspring that killing humans is a potential way to get food. We’ve had 10 other human injuries [from grizzlies] in the past couple years, and we haven’t attempted captures in those situations because of our investigations and the behavior of the bear.

“This was completely different, dangerous behavior,” he said. “It’s not something we want out there on the landscape.”

Contact Mike Koshmrl at 732-7067, envjhnewsandguide.com or @JHNGenviro.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Chit happens in Grizz country..How can one not take that into consideration when one is down or hit?

Beats the hell out of me..I am sceered chitless once I hit something,especially with my bow and have to take care of business..I want a lookout ready and steady for the unsceen...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
After reading this you have to know that Uptain was one tough Hombre.

You also have to know the several absolute idiots that posted here on this thread and they don’t need naming.

You just posted the below posting on the other bear attack thread:

Treadwellitus.
You hate to say Darwin Award candidates but,,,,,,

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ly-attack-in-the-beartooths#Post13141924

My question for you, will you now include yourself as one of the ”several absolute idiots that posted here on this thread and they don’t need naming”, you just stated above, for making fun of a bear attack victim while safely behind your computer in the safety of your home?

P.S. You're not a tough Hombre. Uptain was.

Kind of touchy ain’t you, you big mouthed, blow hard [bleep]? Keep on posting your inane crap. You’re like a naked man going up a flagpole in that the higher you go, the more you show your asss to.

As far as tough Hombres go, I’ve got more left than your punk assss started with.

“Elkslayer”,,,,,,, a name given to him by his hunting amigos. You ain’t even a decent joke.
Turn the valve off. Liquid fecal matter is pouring out of your pie hole.

The tough guy that you are on the internet got called to the floor for making fun of a bear attack victim. That makes you the Darwin Award candidate.
[/quote
[quote=Old_Toot]After reading this you have to know that Uptain was one tough Hombre.

You also have to know the several absolute idiots that posted here on this thread and they don’t need naming.

You just posted the below posting on the other bear attack thread:

Treadwellitus.
You hate to say Darwin Award candidates but,,,,,,

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ly-attack-in-the-beartooths#Post13141924

My question for you, will you now include yourself as one of the ”several absolute idiots that posted here on this thread and they don’t need naming”, you just stated above, for making fun of a bear attack victim while safely behind your computer in the safety of your home?

P.S. You're not a tough Hombre. Uptain was.

Kind of touchy ain’t you, you big mouthed, blow hard [bleep]? Keep on posting your inane crap. You’re like a naked man going up a flagpole in that the higher you go, the more you show your asss to.

As far as tough Hombres go, I’ve got more left than your punk assss started with.

“Elkslayer”,,,,,,, a name given to him by his hunting amigos. You ain’t even a decent joke.
Turn the valve off. Liquid fecal matter is pouring out of your pie hole.

The tough guy that you are on the internet got called to the floor for making fun of a bear attack victim. That makes you the Darwin Award candidate.

The liquid fecal matter you speak of is well aimed and dead center.

What we have with elkslayer is a living legend amongst us in the mold of Paddler . Pitiful bastard but you ain’t done all that bad for being a white child raised by black folks in inner city Houston, thus your values.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I’m 5 for 5 just in my last 5 hunts, all 300+ respectable mounts. That’s a 1,000 batting average pards. That’s why I’m called elkslayer by my friends.

Originally Posted by callnum
My 16 yearold grandson has you beat, we don't call it elkslaying, we consider it just getting started.
Hey pops, feel free to continue to humiliate yourself on here, please, and learn how to comprehend what you read, please. You’re embarrassing your prodigy, which I’m sure is on this forum.

See where I bolded for your cataract eyes. It says, “just in my last 5 hunts”. Do you see that? In the English language, that means “just last 5”. That does not include "total kills” in my lifetime. Before we go to the next lesson to show your stupidity, I want to make sure you’re awake. Just 5 pops. Not total. Got it?

Really ask them to quit calling you that, its embarrassing.
What’s embarrassing is you, a Grandpa, trolling on the internet, something mentally challenged people participate in. Again, save your prodigy from the embarrassment you are causing him.

If you claim the are 300" they are probably not,
You’re great at completely humiliating yourself, being all of the horns have been scored by people, who have scored horns for decades.

I saw the one in the elk forum you guessed on. You are 50" off.
You didn’t even know there are different classifications for horns 6x6 and greater: Royal, Imperial, and Monarch. Your “opinion” as to “any” score of a rack is worthless, and the fact you think that rack is only a 250 proves it.

There. You just got schooled gramps.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Horns?
Ignorance is bliss.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by deflave
I would be interested in your impressions of an AR Thumper. I went with the .450 bushmaster.

Why not carry a shotgun?

I know you are being stupid, but I'll answer it anyways. I built the AR .450bushmaster to comply with the Ohio rifle season, which is fairly new. It is designed on a 300yard ammo. Though, a gentleman shooting bowling pins at 300, missed and hit an Aspen tree at 400 yards. He measured 9" of penetration in that tree at 400 yards. I've used a shotgun since I was 8-9 years old. (Roughly 45 years) Rifle is relatively new to me in a center fire cartridge. It gives me an longer range option. Since I can not afford several rifles, I went with the AR platform, and will add A few other uppers when I can for other uses. .450 Bushmaster should kill anything attacking in two legged or 4 legged, anywhere in N/A.

I’ve seen much available on the shelf ammo for that round in Cabelas and Academy. What’s the highest capacity clip you can get for it?

That with a 16” barrel, collapsible stock, high round clip, sling would be a nasty little bish for sure.

A standard 30rd mag for a .223, with a different follower is a 10rd for .450 Bushmaster. Single stack. Currently I have a 10rd and a 5rd mag just hunting. Law is 3rds only in the weapon, shotgun or rifle. No kills yet. Several with shotgun.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Horns?
Ignorance is bliss.

Never, never interrupt brilliance. Let this retard speak uninterrupted. We’ve much to learn here so listen up!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
I would be interested in your impressions of an AR Thumper. I went with the .450 bushmaster.

Why not carry a shotgun?

I know you are being stupid, but I'll answer it anyways. I built the AR .450bushmaster to comply with the Ohio rifle season, which is fairly new. It is designed on a 300yard ammo. Though, a gentleman shooting bowling pins at 300, missed and hit an Aspen tree at 400 yards. He measured 9" of penetration in that tree at 400 yards. I've used a shotgun since I was 8-9 years old. (Roughly 45 years) Rifle is relatively new to me in a center fire cartridge. It gives me an longer range option. Since I can not afford several rifles, I went with the AR platform, and will add A few other uppers when I can for other uses. .450 Bushmaster should kill anything attacking in two legged or 4 legged, anywhere in N/A.

I’ve seen much available on the shelf ammo for that round in Cabelas and Academy. What’s the highest capacity clip you can get for it?

That with a 16” barrel, collapsible stock, high round clip, sling would be a nasty little bish for sure.

A standard 30rd mag for a .223, with a different follower is a 10rd for .450 Bushmaster. Single stack. Currently I have a 10rd and a 5rd mag just hunting. Law is 3rds only in the weapon, shotgun or rifle. No kills yet. Several with shotgun.

Again, a nasty little bish.
Thanks

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You just got schooled gramps.

Hey,that's below the belt..Back off on the grandpa's here..(laughing)

PS..Seems you have gotten yourself in a predicament here,for a young pup...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give him a break--the man is a legend in his own mind. Anyone who adopts a screen name like "ElkSlayer" on a forum like this (and takes it seriously) is a hopeless egoist.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by logcutter
You just got schooled gramps.

Hey,that's below the belt..Back off on the grandpa's here..(laughing)

PS..Seems you have gotten yourself in a predicament here,for a young pup...

Nah, Logcutter, he’s just smelling assses and licking his balls like pups do.

Curdog would say he’s a “face barker “ and he’d be right.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Buzz schooled you son, and with pics. I think you could post up a measly 5 pics of the 300" bulls.
Buzz refused to debate the facts and ran while attempting to steer the conversation away from him getting humiliated by posting pictures. That is the fact. The fact you choose to ignore the fact shows you, too, are incapable of debating facts.

You are trolling, and you are blind to the truth, just like all liberals.

Really tell your buddies to stop. No one and I mean no one except you use those terms to describe points on a bull. Silly Texan.
It was late when I called them horns, instead of points. People make typing mistakes when they are tired.

Mentally challenged people, like you, are grammar Nazis on the internet.

Would you like me to go back in just your last two postings, and show you where you made grammatical errors, you hypocrite?

A grandpa trolling on the internet, and stalking me on other threads here in your attempts to get a response . How pitifully sad you are.

"He is far from Stupid"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This whole thing has become quite the pissing and dick-measuring contest.

I won't lay judgment on the 2 guys involved. Like many have said, the facts aren't known.

But 1 fact that is known definitely tells me all I need to know about the florida dickhead who was involved in this incident.

When he flew out and got treated for his scrapes and then he left to go home before they even found his guide or knew for certain what happened to him tells me this guy is a Class A POS.

Montana MOFO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tarkio
This whole thing has become quite the pissing and dick-measuring contest.

I won't lay judgment on the 2 guys involved. Like many have said, the facts aren't known.

But 1 fact that is known definitely tells me all I need to know about the florida dickhead who was involved in this incident.

When he flew out and got treated for his scrapes and then he left to go home before they even found his guide or knew for certain what happened to him tells me this guy is a Class A POS.

Here, he goes by the name of elkslayer, it’s rumored.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is no blame to give to anyone...Nobody knows how they will act after getting punched in the nose with a good one,all the plans/training goes out the window until the cobwebs clear,if they do...This happened and nobody is to blame period..It just happened and no one expected it and acted accordingly.

Sceery chit..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It came down to the .450Bushmaster and the .50baowolf. I found the availability of parts and ammo was better with the Bushmaster.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The liquid fecal matter you speak of is well aimed and dead center.

What we have with elkslayer is a living legend amongst us in the mold of Paddler . Pitiful bastard but you ain’t done all that bad for being a white child raised by black folks in inner city Houston, thus your values.
You're reaching pal.

You are today's Darwin Award winner for making fun of a bear attack victim, and you don't have the balls to be a man, and take the medicine you deserve.

Please continue to show your left-side Bell Curve I.Q., pal.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Horns?
Ignorance is bliss.
Yeah, you've never made a typo / mistake when you're tired have you.

Your post doesn't just show your ignorance, it also shows how mentally challenged you are.

"He is far from Stupid"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I suspect ElkSlayer91 is also one of his reincarnations...probably from a different computer...
You must be this site's nominated soap opera writer, correct? You have imagination.

Not good enough to dream up 300 imaginary mounts....

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Is it too early to drink? Is it “too late “ if you haven’t quit drinking from last night?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.