Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At $13 a box of 50 from SPS, they are perfect for my elk hunting.If I get 1" to 1&1/2:" groups at 100 yards and dead elk , I'm happy

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
How far were the deer going w/o exit holes?

Anywhere from 20 to 50 yards. That might not sound like far but when there is a nice big thicket 20 feet from them, it can make it tough to find them if you do not have a blood trail. Never lost one but did have to go back the next morning one time and look for him again before I found him.

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Partitions work great if you match grain weight of the bullet to weight of the game.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Partitions work great if you match grain weight of the bullet to weight of the game.

How do you know? Guidelines?

130’s work fine for Deer, but not Elk?

Last edited by battue; 09/19/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Another way I look at it is below 2700 FPS the NP (if it shoots in your rifle) is the standard. Above that, they TTSX and for calibers above say 375 H7H, TTSX all the way.

Never had a problem with a Partition and velocities as high as 3100 fps. Had lots of problems with Barnes early mono's. Got sick and tired of spending good money for unreliable bullets. Supposedly they work now but I will never buy another Barnes bullet.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The thing that confuses a lot of people about Partitions, is that it is a premium, but also fills in for a standard bullet. It expands at low speeds and then steps up to penetrate extremely well, also. It is like combining a standard c and c and a mono metal. They do not always shoot well in every rifle, but I have not had any problem getting them to shoot in the rifles that I have tried them in.

I have had nothing but stellar results on elk shooting the 160s from my 7 mag at 3000 fps.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
How far were the deer going w/o exit holes?

wink

Often a couple of feet, straight down...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
For me they are still the gold standard... they open close and far, light animals and large, explosive initial penetration, with deep secondary penetration.

They are not tacticool, but I'll take them over tinfoil bullets any day... and mono's too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top target 85 Ballistic Tips, bottom is 100 Partitions @ 100 yards, back to back.

[Linked Image]

I've taken a number of hogs and deer with Partitions and without fail it works like this: Bang-Flop.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I remember when bonded bullets became popular, people would trash the Partition for it's 65% weight retention. People were shocked to find out it was designed that way. Now the fad is ultra high BC.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 09/19/18.

Scott
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True, but BC doesn't kill.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
True, but BC doesn't kill.

Another quotable...

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Keechi Kid,

WTF?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That original thought can only come from Nosler placing those pics of game animals on the box. crazy

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 140 gr 6.5 mm and 150 gr .277 didn't shoot as accurately as other bullets for me in two rifles but the 200 gr 8 mm is amazing in my Rock Creek barreled 8mm Rem mag. If I do my part half inch 100 yard groups are pretty routine and when shooting at 200 yards before an elk hunt two years ago my three shots printed four tenths of an inch. The bullet I recovered from the off shoulder of my big bull shot at 450 yards looked just like every other picture of a recovered Partition. My big 8 will never launch a different bullet.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree, Sambo.

When I find a tight shooting NPT load for a rifle, I quit load development and load up a good supply.

When the NPT is hot, to me it's like hitting a home run.

Hard to go wrong there.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have probably mentioned this before, but Eileen and I have taken more than 20 species of big game around the world with Partitions, from the 60-grain .224 to 400-grain .416.

I started using Partitions at the tail end of the lathe-turned era, and while once in a while a certain bullet refuses to shoot in an inch or less, even those first bullets with the "relief ring" would do an inch or less, in the Remington 700 ADL .270 and "sporterized" 1903 Springfield that were only two big game rifles I owned at the time. (The Partitions were 130 .270's and 200 .30's.)

This doesn't mean I consider Nosler Partitions the only premium big game bullet. Have used a bunch of others, mostly with good results Eileen was the first hunter to provide a field report on elk with the 140 TSX, back when TSX's were introduced in 2004, but I had already used various versions of the original X-Bullet on considerable big game. Have also personally used, or witnessed, the results of many other premiums on big game, including some no longer made, such as the Winchester Fail Safe. Most have worked great, though there have been a few failures, whether in expansion or penetration.

Every year we both use several different kinds of big game bullets, either to see how they do, or because we like how they work for specific jobs. Last fall we used the Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX and SST, and Tipped Trophy Bonded on our big game animals. Please note there wasn't a Nosler Partition (or indeed any Nosler bullet of any kind) among them.

But so far, over 40 years of Partition use, I haven't found another bullet that kills game significantly "better," or penetrates meaningfully deeper IF the right Partition is chosen for the job at hand, whether shooting pronghorns at 400 yards or buffalo up close.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, and consistent terminal performance across the widest range of velocities of any bullets I've observed. I know that many will say a premium bullet isn't needed for deer, but there has been occasions when I was glad to be using Partitions when I've shot mature muleys.

Plus, when I can have Partition 2nds delivered to my door for almost half the street price, it's an easy choice........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot several deer with them over the years. Small hole in and out and mush inside. The only reason I don't use them for everything is cost.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I shot several deer with them over the years. Small hole in and out and mush inside. The only reason I don't use them for everything is cost.

Shop SPS. They don't always have your bullet, but sometimes you'll find a deal you can't resist.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading-reloading-bullets.html

DF

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 56 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,586
Posts18,473,403
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.