Hop To
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote=GunGeek]For the rational free thinkers, this science was settled in the 1880's. Evangelical Christians won't accept ANYTHING anyone says on the issue in support of evolution...so what's the point of any so-called "discussion"?

Theologians (who are NOT experts on paleontology, anatomy, kinesiology, primatology, embryology, neurobiology, etc) snub anything and everything that doesn't conform to their pre-conceived ideals. These people are not interested in the truth at all. They are only interested in things that support their pre-determined ideology.

Discussing evolution with an evangelical is wasted time you will never get back!

I WAS an evangelical who spent a lot of time studying Christian Apologetics. My copies of Evidence That Demands a Verdict are autographed by Josh McDowell. And although I no longer agree with his conclusions, I still have a great deal of respect for the man himself.

I am kind of surprised at you, GG. The only thing "settled" about this science is that evolution exists. How and why it does is far from settled. In fact, it is clearly a work in progress. The evidence for that is the numerous times that what was once accepted has been disproven. That is not to say that evolution is disproven - but our understanding of how it works has been....several times.

The vast majority of posters on both sides of this thread are lagging behind recent discoveries. Most here (if not all) would benefit by spending more time reading and less time arguing. What I see here is argument from both sides that is not supported by the most up-to-date science (not that I'm on the cutting edge either), and much of it coming from ideas that have been shown to be wrong for a long time.

I don't see anything in the most current science that I am aware of that challenges my faith in God. Likewise, I don't see anything in the Bible that disallows scientific discovery and/or the study of evolution. My educated guess is that both extreme arguments are close-minded and wrong.

Your opinion does not establish facts. They're just opinion.

More so when one is brain washed.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ringman - ya think it's possible that you could be more careful about how you quote me?

And If you're accusing me of being brainwashed, I find that kind of funny. The way I see it, you literalists are brainwashed, and so are the atheists.

If you so want to take Genesis literally, how about this passage?

Gen. 4:10
"But the LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground!

You suppose that was audible? What exactly do you think that phrase means?

Or - how about this...

Psalm 19:1-2
"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. "

I have yet to hear a recording of "sky speech" - but atheists should pay closer attention to what the heavens have been telling us. BTW - what do you think we should do about this passage, in light of what the heavens have been teaching us about the age of the universe and its beginning?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ringman - ya think it's possible that you could be more careful about how you quote me?

And If you're accusing me of being brainwashed, I find that kind of funny. The way I see it, you literalists are brainwashed, and so are the atheists.

"But the LORD said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground!

Or - how about this...

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. "

I have yet to hear a recording of "sky speech" - but atheists should pay closer attention to what the heavens have been telling us. BTW - what do you think we should do about this passage, in light of what the heavens have been teaching us about the age of the universe and its beginning?

In 1956 a couple guys received the Nobel prize for discovering the earth "groans". Let me see. Where did I read about that? O yea. It's in Romans. But to answer your foolish question..... You anthropomorphize God. You think the Creator of the universe is limited to the senses you experience?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Or - how about this...

Well said, FreeMe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all very simple......White people were created, Blacks evolved from monkeys.

Go chew on that one a while, deflave.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ringman vs Dawkins:

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Wow, Richard Dawkins? Rilly? That sorry sumbitch would put us in camps if he had the power....well some of us anyway.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RJY66
Wow, Richard Dawkins? Rilly? That sorry sumbitch would put us in camps if he had the power....well some of us anyway.

Really? You respond to his arguments with argumentum ad hominem?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Evolution is so overwhelmingly evident to any scientifically literate person that it's hard to comprehend how anything but bad faith can explain its rejection by any but the most universally ignorant.

Just by similarities of shape and structure, people are still looking for the missing link where man evolved from an ape-like creature. Why not back it up to the very beginning where life was supposed to start from a single cell and got more complex as it evolved into a more sophisticated double cell and so on until we have all the life forms that inhabit the earth today.

So as these cells became increasingly complex, some turned into a blade of grass, others became trees, lizards, horses, insects and every organic life form that we observe today. Where does my DNA connect me to a tree or butterfly?

All science is a knowledge based on discovery and not invention. Science only finds out things that have always existed and then builds upon previous discoveries to help new discoveries. As this science evolves intellectuals add their understanding to previous discoveries and make conclusions accordingly.

When you can show me that my DNA is the same as a 2X4, I will pay more attention. But I guarantee you that at the time of your death, you will find out if your ancestors were an amoeba or Adam and Eve...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
But I guarantee you that at the time of your death, you will find out if your ancestors were an amoeba or Adam and Eve...

Also, if you don't believe that Egypt is actually an iron furnace (literally, an enclosed structure in which iron can be heated to very high temperatures for smelting), then God has some special suffering to send your way when you've passed into the great beyond, and that regardless of whether or not you trust in Jesus (sarcasm).

"But the LORD hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day."

- Deuteronomy 4:20

So, let's have it. Is Egypt literally an iron furnace, or isn't it? Your eternal disposition is on the line based on your answer to that question. Don't call the Bible a liar, now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I am not even calling you a liar, you are just confused and rely on intellect for your perception of your existence, I rely on God...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You make some good points. While you have Hawkeyes attention, how about seeing if you can persuade him to remove his boyfriends picture from his signature line.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I am not even calling you a liar, you are just confused and rely on intellect for your perception of your existence, I rely on God...

Is God telling you that Egypt is literally an iron furnace, or do you suppose that's a metaphor?

Like, perhaps, the Lord having formed Adam from the dust of the ground? - Genesis 2:7

That, not taken literally, would seem to suggest that Adam (i.e., man) was made from what had once been inorganic matter (i.e., the dust of the ground), which is actually an amazing insight, lending credence to the claims that the Bible was in fact divinely inspired, since men of the ancient world would have no other way of knowing that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The flip side of Evolution was Ey Jude.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Is God telling you that Egypt is literally an iron furnace, or do you suppose that's a metaphor?

If you aren’t an attorney, you sure reason as one. You are trying the same distortion of logic that the Sanhedrin used in the days of Christ. I am not here to get tangled up with your skewed version of scripture and devotion to evolution, I am only pointing out some holes of your belief system and continue to cling to my beliefs. What do you think will happen to you when you die?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Evolution deesn't require "devotion" to be accepted as a reality, as it's quite evident to anyone who's not pre-scientific in his thinking.

PS Is it your belief, based on your reading of the Bible, that women become pregnant by merely knowing a man?

"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain ..." - Genesis 4:1

Remember, you have to take it plainly and literally. You're not allowed to apply your knowledge about how conception happens, filling in any gaps in the text with information about eggs, sperm, zygotes, etc., otherwise you're doubting the plain and literal word of God, and damnation will surely follow.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You make some good points. While you have Hawkeyes attention, how about seeing if you can persuade him to remove his boyfriends picture from his signature line.

That isn’t his boyfriend, I believe that is a video of him when the judge told him he was defending the wrong parking violation...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrap, you a young earth guy too?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Shrap, you a young earth guy too?

It would appear so.

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.