Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for a little help � I apologize in advance for the long post � I�ll sum up the �why� in as few words as possible:

July 15, 2005, our son was killed in a motor cycle accident (age 18 � just graduated with honors). He was my best friend and hunting companion. He was a shooter and participated in, and won, several F-Class matches. More can be read about his much too short time we shared together at: Danny

He was never able to get his friends interested in shooting as he was. After his death several of them came by to visit and shot for their first time with me � I think maybe out of guilt for the times he tried to get them interested and they turned him down. One came back several times to learn more and then entered the military. He sent me his rifle qualification pin with a note saying "you earned this as much as I did". He is now serving in Iraq.

One of the other boys sent me an email last week asking for guidance on getting a rifle to hunt elk and mule deer, he is going to college in CO and has taken an interest in hunting. He has used shotguns but his only rifle experience was with me.

So, now for the help. I would like to put together a rig for him. I wanted to build him a rig in 300WSM but I already have an older LA Savage action I can clean up and true, one of the "tupperware" synthetic stocks, and rings are on the way (thanks Jeff). Given this and it�s intended use, I'm looking for a 300WM or 7mm Mag barrel of a sporter contour, set of bases, and a good quality scope (I�ve learned over the years and you can�t say it enough � quality optics are just as important as the gun). Something in the 3-9 or 4-12 range with 40mm objective should work well for him. I have dies but need brass and bullets depending on which barrel I can find.

Please let me know what you have and prices with shipping. I don't have a fortune to spend but want to make him a nice rig that he will be proud to own.

Email is easier than PM for me � dananent@lightlink.com

Thanks in advance,

Dan

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck sir and you are doing a very good thing.....

Last edited by Gmoney; 03/17/07.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive got one of the new Leupold VXII 3-9X40 Matte scopes with the Multi-Cote lens and click adj. One of the first with the new lens and its in a black box. $250 shipped

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me know what barrel you end up with, I know I have a bunch of factory new loaded 300 win mag I'll never use that he can have and some brass too. If he ends up with a 7mm I'll have to dig a little deeper but probably have brass for that too.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midway has Savage Barrels for sale cheaply enough. 1-800-243-3220. I would reccomend 300WinMag for the application you are preparing for. There is a 4x-12x scope for sale here in the classifieds pretty reasonble. USually several in that power range as I am pretty sure you are aware. Good luck with the project. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I do not know how one can bear up against such. God bless you.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have some 7mmRM brass and projectiles you can have if you go that calibre.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a 3 x 9 Leupold Vari x II Silver for $208 shipped

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
best place to find anything Savage related is savageshooters.com.

Those fellas always have a loads of parts and such.

I am sorry I dont have anything for ya cept my condolences on the loss of your son.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes factory sporter 300 winmag barrels are fairly cheap over there,

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a very good condition Leupold Vari-X II 3X9X40 Gloss that you can have. I also have some 30 and 284 caliber bullets.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Allen...now that is class!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a set of Leupold bases (windage rear, dovetail front) for the older Savages that you can have - just shoot me a pm with your address.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple sets of used low rings for those bases I can send

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
WOW - I never expected such a response!!!

You guys are great!

I want to thank everyone that emailed, PMed, and posted on this. I have contacted most of the guys - still have a few to go and I am waiting on a few to return messages.

Hopefully I'll hear back today. I'll keep you posted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DED
If you go with a 7mm mag, PM me. I believe I have at least 40 rounds of once fired brass, free.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss and good luck on your project.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan my condolences on your loss . I have some Federal factory loads in 165 gr sierra game king BT if you go the 7 mag route .

To the rest of you ...what can I say other than , Outstanding.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DED, you have a pm sir.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
DED,

If you wind up going with the .300 Win. Mag. I'm fairly certain I have two full boxes of factory 180 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws that you're welcome to.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have to say - this forum has absolutely first class people!

It looks like everything I can think of is covered.

I found the barrel at a good price and caliber is now 300WIN MAG. (If anyone has favorite load data - you can email me dananent@lightlink.com or PM)

I had many emails and PMs so I hope I have gotten back with everyone. If I missed getting back to you, I apologize and very much appreciate anything you offered including those that sent heart felt thoughts and prayers.

Anthony is planning to return home for a Spring break in May and I plan to surprise him with the completed rig. He knows I was looking for parts to get started but no idea what has just transpired.

Between now and then, I've got plenty to do. I'll true the action, assemble the gun, add a palm swell to the stock and then camo paint it. I'll also go through my hunting supplies and get him set up with what he needs there (with some help from AkMtnHntr).

I hope to get a picture of him when I hand it to him so I can post it here.

Thank you all once again,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.