Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever had a wheel come off?

Have a friend who spent most of a year working in Kuwait. On the morning he got home he was served with divorce papers. Does that count?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I’ll bet anything the shop didn’t use a torque wrench.

You can bet whatever you want. I've seen him use a torque wrench. I'm not saying he didn't get a phone call and then forget to torque them, but he routinely uses a torque wrench.

Steve.

If he’d done it properly then it wouldn’t have come off.

I really don’t get the attitude when someone just tries to relay an honest opinion. You asked for opinions & I gave mine, why be a jerk about it? I put myself through college installing tires and put on enough for ten lifetimes, mistakes happen & maybe he did get distracted, I don’t know what he did. Wheels that are properly installed don’t come off 900 miles later.

So you’re saying we agree. But you’re not saying there are many reasons wheels come off. (I provided a link to that effect.)

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Had the axle break on my pickup after a few thousand mile road trip this spring. After getting home and catching up with some work I raced into town to watch my daughter play volleyball. Got off the it and driving in about a 35 or 45 mph zone and I feel a little jerk, hear a brief squeak or squeal and felt the truck pull to one side, Got out and the right rear was at a very funny angle and smoke coming out from under the wheel well. Good long flame coming up. In the bed there was a 5 gallon jug of gas. 5 gallon jug of diesel, a generator full of fuel and a space heater full of diesel. Emptied all the fuel out of the bed in a hurry and put the fire out with and assortment of water bottles floating around loose in the truck.

Just this morning went and picked up a dump trailer I bought. Tire was low when I looked at it and bought it and seller was to get tire fixed before I picked it up. Got there today, hooked up and did a quick walk-around. Looked at the tire and kicked it to make sure it was aired up and walked away. A second or 2 later I stop and realize something isn't right. Go back to the previously low tire and notice the lug nuts are on backwards. When I take them off to turn them around, I realize a few of them are literally finger tight. Others were barely tighter than that. Might have averted another bad story there.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
only time for me was i had a 79 malibu. the c cilp on the drivers side rear broke so the tire and axle started coming out. i'd drive a little while real slow then jack it up and push it back in, repeat till i got home. thats why i hate chevy rear ends. either a ford 9 inch or a dana 60, or mopar 8 3/4. c clips suck.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the late 1980's I was riding back & forth to work with a guy who lived down the road from me. Coming home one afternoon as he slowed up for a red light a very large wheel / tire came past us on the passenger side where I was. Went off the road, across two lawns and hit the side of a brick commercial building right by a window. Almost went through the window but it wouldn't fit.... Took a lot of bricks off the building. Turns out it came off a bus that was following us. Thankfully nobody was in the way or that could have been a lot worse.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope. Had a chevy W/T pass me once, 200 feet later his right front went flying off into the ditch. A-arms attached and everything. Straight road, we were doing 65. Truck looked pretty new.

No clue what happened.

Me

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had a tie rod end snap on the freeway, left wheel was OK, right wheel went sideways.

Phil

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,307
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.