Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To be sure.

But what’s the basis for the dissent? Is it the word of God? If it is, seems like it ought to matter.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ironbender
Lots of replies but no “answers “.

I need something knowable, logical, and sensible.

“Well, it’s a mystery. Just believe. “ doesn’t make it for me.

Appreciate the responses nonetheless.

Why do you ask us knowing we only have guesses ourselves? Is the attention you get worth the pita you give?
I have asked God myself. All I can get in this infancy are guesses and feelings but now I have a direction and a goal I can happily strive for.
You want to know? Ask him yourself.

When you argue with an idiot nobody can tell the difference.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by MadMooner
[quote=MadMooner][quote=SnowbirdBill] [quote=MadMooner]God in the Old Testament ain’t a very pleasant sort of fella. In fact he is quite angry, violent, and vindictive.

Not that I know. The OT still has a lot of dead first borns. Seems he liked to visit death upon the innocent.

Judge not, least ye be judged.

Oh, I ain’t judging. Just reading a bit. God was all about striking down first borns in Exodus, Psalms, Numbers......

I’m just saying, if you question why God let’s children suffer and die, and you’re referencing the OT God, it’s pretty obvious. At least to me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Lack of faith?

What would you say, hunt?

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/22/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

then just forget the whole thing, problem solved...?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=MadMooner][quote=SnowbirdBill] [quote=MadMooner]God in the Old Testament ain’t a very pleasant sort of fella. In fact he is quite angry, violent, and vindictive.

Not that I know. The OT still has a lot of dead first borns. Seems he liked to visit death upon the innocent.

Judge not, least ye be judged.

Oh, I ain’t judging. Just reading a bit. God was all about striking down first borns in Exodus, Psalms, Numbers......

I’m just saying, if you question why God let’s children suffer and die, and you’re referencing the OT God, it’s pretty obvious. At least to me.

You said He liked to visit death on the innocent. All are born of the flesh. None are innocent. You judged your maker.

Judge not, ......

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahh. I see.

I’ll amend that to babies. Those damned guilty babies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lack of faith?

I don't know, was truly just a question. I see all the time references to the "Old Testament God" being contrasted to the God in the New Testament.

My understanding was that they were one and the same, but I've seen enough Christians use this figure of speech that I am asking for clarification.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Question that has puzzled me in the past is why does God permit man to blaspheme Him. Maybe for another thread.

Last edited by Spud; 09/22/18.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
He loves them and gives them time to turn from their sin? Or, wants them to at least get the blessing of a natural life before meeting their chosen reward?

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/22/18.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What is needed is a spiritual director who can sort through generally accepted fact, that which is under reasonable dispute, and that within the realm of mystery. Denomination probably doesn't matter. I've known a few.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.
His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

John 9:1-12

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SnowbirdBill
Lots of replies but no “answers “.

“Well, it’s a mystery. Just believe. “ doesn’t make it for me.

Appreciate the responses nonetheless.

Why do you ask us knowing we only have guesses ourselves? Is the attention you get worth the pita you give?
I have asked God myself. All I can get in this infancy are guesses and feelings but now I have a direction and a goal I can happily strive for.
You want to know? Ask him yourself.

Attention? Nope. If I was after attention, I’d be on here replying to every post.

I had no preconceived expection of what you or anyone else knows. I had hope there might be some actual answers rather than guesses.

Since you and others have asked god himself and got nothing, I guess I’ll not waste my time on that task.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You have the answers God deemed good enough for us.

Proof of God will be found in Heaven or Hell. Its up to you where you get your proof, but get it you will.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Lack of faith?

I don't know, was truly just a question. I see all the time references to the "Old Testament God" being contrasted to the God in the New Testament.

My understanding was that they were one and the same, but I've seen enough Christians use this figure of speech that I am asking for clarification.

First off, when you read the Bible you are reading what different people in different times THOUGHT about God. Whether some, or all, were Divinely inspired was decided by a bunch of politicians in the 300 years following the life of Jesus. Anyone believing in an inerrant bible are putting their faith in the combined hands of these early Church Fathers under the thumb of Rome.

As far as the OT, the Jews saw God as both a Spiritual and Earthly King and Judge. No separation of church and state for them. When they plead for God to kill their enemies, it’s the same as you asking the Jidgevto throw the book at the guy who poisoned your bird dog.If they wanted to rape all the women of their captured enemies, there was always some Prophet to assure them that that is exactly what God wants. Some of the OT is actual reportage of events and may be factual but, just like today, there may be some embellishment.

I give more credibility to the Prophets who were not telling the people what they want to hear. That’s just common sense.... human nature has not changed since biblical times.

As far as the NT, I get a clearer picture of Christ if I focus on the Gospels and the letters from the Apostles who actually walked with Jesus leaving Paul’s theology for those who seek to sharpen their intellect.... or find fault with their brethren.As far as Revelation... John’s vision is much too distorted for me to glean anything useful from it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Lack of faith?

First off, when you read the Bible you are reading what different people in different times THOUGHT about God. Whether some, or all, were Divinely inspired was decided by a bunch of politicians in the 300 years following the life of Jesus. Anyone believing in an inerrant bible are putting their faith in the combined hands of these early Church Fathers under the thumb of Rome.

As far as the OT, the Jews saw God as both a Spiritual and Earthly King and Judge. No separation of church and state for them. When they plead for God to kill their enemies, it’s the same as you asking the Jidgevto throw the book at the guy who poisoned your bird dog.If they wanted to rape all the women of their captured enemies, there was always some Prophet to assure them that that is exactly what God wants. Some of the OT is actual reportage of events and may be factual but, just like today, there may be some embellishment.

I give more credibility to the Prophets who were not telling the people what they want to hear. That’s just common sense.... human nature has not changed since biblical times.

As far as the NT, I get a clearer picture of Christ if I focus on the Gospels and the letters from the Apostles who actually walked with Jesus leaving Paul’s theology for those who seek to sharpen their intellect.... or find fault with their brethren.As far as Revelation... John’s vision is much too distorted for me to glean anything useful from it.

That’s a good take, Curdog. I agree on the OT and would guess that train of thought can be applied to groups and religions well before the Jews.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
New testament was a law with the Israelites fulfilled by the shedding of blood by Christ to was away our sins. Now, we believers are covered by Christs atonement and are sinless if we believe on Christ and try to follow Him with our lives and REPENT and ask forgiveness of our sins.

We are not held to the same laws as those in the OT, from what i have been told. I dont totalky understand because Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and not do away with it. He also said His words were forever.

Wheres Ringman.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

Like!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Can you explain things re diff in OT and New T for us RM.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New testament was a law with the Israelites fulfilled by the shedding of blood by Christ to was away our sins. Now, we believers are covered by Christs atonement and are sinless if we believe on Christ and try to follow Him with our lives and REPENT and ask forgiveness of our sins.

We are not held to the same laws as those in the OT, from what i have been told. I dont totalky understand because Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and not do away with it. He also said His words were forever.

Wheres Ringman.

I was once asked by a Seventh Day Adventist why I don't do the Sabbath. To answer him, I wrote an essay; which he and the elders went over with a "fine tooth comb." (Forgive me TRH.) It is thirteen pages long. But I will cut about a dozen and a half pages out and give some insight.

Jesus says He didn't come to destroy the Law, but to fulfill It. He did that and on the cross he tells us, "It is finished." Later God tells us the Law has been abolished having been nailed to HIs cross. Another place He tells us He made both the Jews and the Gentiles one people by destroying the Law. Another place He gives us The Law a a tutor to lead us to Christ. Now that Christ has come we no longer need a tutor.

P.S.
If you want I will private message the essay to you.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.