-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So I am sitting here thinking. We are driving out to Colorado for an Elk hunt.
What can I make for the 3 of us for 5 nights after we get in from being in the woods all day that would be easy to either microwave or put in the oven for 1 to 2 hours. Serve then be able to crash and get back up at 430am.
Thinking I should freeze these in aluminum foil tubs . Pack them in cooler with ice and salt the [bleep] out of the ice. So they stay frozen till we get there and I can put 3 in freezer and leave 2 out Saturday Sunday night. Dinners..
Thinking everything like a casserole style.
- Sheppard pie is 1 and maybe a chicken enchilada casserole. 2
Whatcha got for ideas and how to re heat. Thanks for help with ideas.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hard to go wrong. Brats. and sauerkraut, beans, and franks? If you are hungry enough, your boots would taste good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How bout precooked pulled pork or pit beef vac packed and frozen. All you need to do is boil in pot of water til hot. Steam in bag veggies in the microwave and it's a feast. Barry

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I actually have 1 Boston Butt left in the freezer.. good idea . Fire up the smoker next weekend and get that out of there . Forgot about sealing in bag and heating it in water trick.. usually when I do a pulled pork there is none left over ever to do that. Thanks
Also I do make a good sausage and pepper deal. I am the guy that eats beans and Farts all day.. I wanted to make up some elk or venison dishes also but it makes me wicked gassy and I would have a hard enough time keep the elk from smelling me never mind shi//ing my pants every 5 minutes . Thanks for help

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Meatballs, sauce and spaghetti.
ChileVerde, rice and beans
Chile Colorado, rice and beans
Chili

Got to have a New York Strip Steak and Ranch Beans night in there somewhere.

Toss some veggies in there somewhere to keep things flowing. Or just down some metamucil everyday.

We sleep in a tent in Colorado so having the extra fart energy helps keep the sleeping bags warm.

Id just keep the salt for the food and make sure all food is frozen and beverages at or slightly below refridge temps.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My two cents worth, it should be a different taste than the smoked pork. Something for folks that don't care so much for the smoked dishes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pan of lasagna in a throw away aluminum pan would be easy to reheat. Good comfort food, complete meal.
Frozen soup/stew reheated in a crock pot is always good after a hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
just remebered a buddy that sometimes brings a dish called cripsy cheesey potatoes casserole. Its a super duper chunky mashed tater casserole dish.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Terryk
Pan of lasagna in a throw away aluminum pan would be easy to reheat. Good comfort food, complete meal.
Frozen soup/stew reheated in a crock pot is always good after a hunt.

These + chicken al la king.
Steak or pork chops in grave, serve over rice.

We used to do exactly this for Co. 12 day season.
Had a small freezer we hauled in a trailer, plugged it in when we got there.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ground game meat mixed with a simple bechamel sauce, some cheddar cheese and some frozen chopped veggies. Top with tator tots, Bake at 350 for 1 hour, uncover 1/2 way through.

Bechamel is just a butter, flour, milk and cheese.

Easy to throw into an aluminum pan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Chicken and dumplings or biscuits. Chile Verde or Colorado. Ranch beans ( bacon, onion, jalapenos, and butter ). Spanish rice in vac bags. Stew. Italian sausage, peppers, and greens on steak rolls or even hotdog buns. Steak fajitas. Fresh raviolis or tortellini and a jared or home made red or cream sauce with stinky cheese. Bag salads. Frozen veggies. Frozen hash browns and/or tots.

If you have a kitchen with an oven/stove, microwave, and a crock pot, there is lots of possibilities in an hour with some pre-preperation.

Sean
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
For the last 6 years it seems like we end up eating some type of pasta just about every night. Want to cut it way back and maybe I won't come home 10 lbs heavy. I know its going to be hard to keep all 3 of us happy. 1 fussy old fart-1 guy probably eat anything and me the cook that just lost 20lbs so I could actually walk into woods maybe and be able to half breath at 7k to 9k feet and make to my spot in a hour. Can't breath going in and I think when I come down cause its so step I get the good old rubber legs from holding myself back. I think we will be there 9 nights so 4 nights out 5 nights in.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some more thoughts. Breakfast for dinner. Frittata? Bacon, onions, spinach, add scrambled eggs and cheese and bake. Diced ham and sautéed onions, and some red pasta sauce. Crack eggs on top and bake until whites are just set. Dip in with crusty bread. Speaking of bread, take some frozen yeast bread. Set out in the morning to rise and bake when you get in. Hot bread and butter is always satisfying. Chicken tortilla soup. Crush tortilla chips into a bowl, add salsa, sour cream, and top with soup. You can add chopped cilantro and green chiles to your taste.
PS, a little dry ice will keep your cooler chilled instead of salting the shat out of your ice.

Good luck on your hunt and have a safe trip.

Sean
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Maybe some pickled eggs and canned deer meat? Barry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (160user, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,810
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.