Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have only shot one animal with them and I'm impressed and not impressed with them.
I shot a 177LB black bear behind the right shoulder hit a rib and had a good size entrance hole. Over bait and 25yds from the barrel. The bear only went maybe 20yds and piled up.
Now the impressed part was that it went thru the rib, hit one lung, into the other shoulder, down the leg bone about a good 6" and exited the other side of the leg. I thought it was neat that it held together to do all that. I usually only shotgun and bow hunt so this is new territory for me.
Now the not so impressed part. After the initial entrance wound that hit the rib and made a good size hole it only seemed to pencil thru everything else. The lung had a couple of slices in it. after the lung you could see what looked like the bullet just penciled thru between the other side of the ribs, hit the other shoulder and down and out the other leg but only a pencil size wound.
Is this normal for an accubond?
What I was excepting was the accubond to expand it energy into the chest cavity and kinda mush the insides of the bear. The bullet did do its job. Im just curious as to what others have noticed how the bullet has worked and if it did any other destruction of internals or is most of the initial energy when it hits the animal is dispersed on the skin.

My wife also shot a bear and she was using barnes TTX and she had to show off and hit it in the head. Straight thru from right to left side.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good grief...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
lunchbox,

That's what "controlled expanding" big game bullets do. They usually "mushroom" completely by the time the bullet penetrates its own length, then make a smaller wound channel after the initial expansion, both because the initial expansion is over, and the bullet slows down considerably. There are exceptions, but that's the way they basically work.

If you want even-diameter wound channels then you should stick to shotgun slugs and arrowheads. But if you judge rifle bullets by how quickly animals die, rather than the wound channel, you might learn something.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Sorry Brad Im not up to speed like you are. That is why I was asking the question if I was expecting more than I should or not. But hey Ill ask what I don't know and you should just not comment if you're not going to say anything helpful.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Mule Deer,

Thank you. That is why I was asking is to learn. I have never heard it put that way but it makes sense. The bear did die pretty quick tho.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.308W velocity?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Sorry it was out of a 30-06. And it was a Nosler factory load.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds exactly like what I have witnessed from .308 and .30/06 Accubond hits on bears over bait.
Want bigger internal destruction? Go Ballistic Tip, or push that velocity up with a WM or WSM. Or both.
But that is not necessary at all.

Two holes are something I like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lunchbox

Just posting for my signature line. I have felt foolish many times, but have learned........................not always how not to be foolish. grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I got 2 holes on this bear. Luckily it didn't go to far because there was not blood to be found except where it expired at. Another guy at the camp used the same ammo and his wound channel looked about the same as mine.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by lunchbox0311
I got 2 holes on this bear. Luckily it didn't go to far because there was not blood to be found except where it expired at. Another guy at the camp used the same ammo and his wound channel looked about the same as mine.

So another dead critter at the end of a short blood trail?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Yep. Neither one of the bears had a blood trail. His died just a little over 30yds from the bait.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Can anyone tell the difference between Accubonds and Ballistic tips. I’ve shot many pigs and deer with both. I can’t tell any difference, but I’m shooting 120lb deer, 200lb and smaller pigs, and a couple 200lb Aoudads. I’ve used both in 25-06, 257 up to 300 Weatherby’s, but mostly 7 mags. There is probably a difference with heavier animals. They are both fine bullets. Is there a bad bullet anymore? Manufacturers have been perfecting their products for many years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve never bear hunted but a lot of my friends do. They tell me blood trails are rare due to the amount of fat the bear carries. The fat plugs the hole, so to speak, keeping blood trails sparse.

Sounds like the AB performed well.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only used an Accubond once from my .308 and had the same experience that you did. The deer was broadside at about 40 yards and I double lunged it. First blood that I could find was at about 20 yards and sparse for the 90 or so that the deer ran. There was about a 3" hole in the deer's side and then I said to myself, wait a minute, that was the near side entrance wound. It was the first time that I ever found the entrance wound larger than the exit wound and I didn't like it. I'd been use to shooting those 180 grain round nose Remington Core-Lokts and they expanded quickly enough with all that lead exposed and being 180 grains kept on going getting larger out the exit side. Regrettably Remington stopped offering them for my .300 Savage, but they sure worked out of the .308's and '06's in our deer camp.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Shot several deer with the 308 165 Accubond. I shoot high shoulder, and all that were hit high shoulder expired where they stood. The only deer I shot behind the shoulder ran about 40-50yards with no blood trail. The Accubond penciled through. I have yet to get a pass through on high shoulder. They all have seemed to deposit all there energy in the shoulder/chest cavity. Just soup on the inside.

Just my experience.

Ed
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I They tell me blood trails are rare due to the amount of fat the bear carries. The fat plugs the hole, so to speak, keeping blood trails sparse

P

Dead bear = bullet done good. Bear I want to drop ASAP as I can't track them por nada unless they are leaking buckets. Anything that drops within sight is muey bueno.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
After 8 years of using Accubonds in 284 & 308 calibers I have learned:

Entrance wounds are typically larger than exit wounds.
They don’t always exit when you think they should.
The animal always falls dead on the ground in short order.
They do retain about 60% of their original weight.
Never been any reason to doubt them.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.