Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Largie Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello All
New to the site.
Just asking if any of you have any thing to to with the .340 Weaterby Mark V as I have just orded mine and really don't know a lot about them other than what I have read up on them.
Any load info would be greatly appreciated and what is the recoil like as I have read that it can be very nasty, hence the muzzle brake I have ordered with mine.
Look forward to any info out there.
Regards
Largie

Living The Dream;
7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 4570 Lever, .260 REM, Now Wating .340 Weatherby Mark V
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Largie

Hello All
New to the site.
Just asking if any of you have any thing to to with the .340 Weaterby Mark V as I have just orded mine and really don't know a lot about them other than what I have read up on them.
Any load info would be greatly appreciated and what is the recoil like as I have read that it can be very nasty, hence the muzzle brake I have ordered with mine.
Look forward to any info out there.
Regards
Largie
.................How be the land down under?................Do not have the 340, but based on experience with my 338-378 Accumark you will enjoy it. The Terra and Accumarks are awesome looking rifles. Very accurate too.

Many good sources for reloading the 340 Bee including hodgdon.com which I frequently use when loading up my 338-378.

You are just gonna have to go through the experimental process to find out which powders and bullets your particular rifle prefers.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I forgot to mention recoil......You will be glad you ordered the muzzy brake. Recoil with mine is very tolerable. About like shooting a 180-200 grain 30-06.......Have fun!

Largie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for that and yeah the recoil was my only worrie but I like to shoot those bigger calibers so-------- much fun.

Living The Dream;
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Largie
Thanks for that and yeah the recoil was my only worrie but I like to shoot those bigger calibers so-------- much fun.
...................................Yup......Larger calibers are alot of fun.........My 375 Ruger Alaskan does not have a muzzy brake though. But, I can handle it just fine. I would not share that same sentiment about the 338-378.....Lol.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think I'm recoil sensitive, however I did put a muzzlebrake on the 340.Like the poster above I also have a 375 ruger without a brake and can shoot a few shots with no problem.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The 340 remains on of my favorite rounds. I have a synthetic stocked Mark V that shoots cloverleafs with the now discontinued 210 Partitions factory load. Other factory loads shot moa. I as never able to duplicate factory velocity (3250fps) and maintain accuracy at the same time. The only conclusion I came up with was Norma’s crimp or powder couldn’t be duplicated. As far as reloading, I’d focus on IMR 7828 or RL 26 with 225g bullets. I didn’t have a brake on my rifle....didn’t need it. Never feel recoil when hunting and dealing with it on the range is just a matter of discipline IMO. In any event, I hate brakes on hunting rifles. For what it’s worth, I’d much rather spend time on the range shooting a 340 than an identical 300wby. It’s more of a push than a crack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an Accumark, which is the same thing, I think, except for coloring—bot have a full-length bedding plate and are free floating. I love mine. My favorite rifle.

Did you get yours made custom? Weatherby does not appear to list 340 as an option on their website for the Terramark. Are you going to hunt with it?

I don’t handload, but the Corbon-loaded 225gr TTSX rounds leave my muzzle at 3,160 fps. At sea level, that bullet is still going 2,250 fps at 500 yds. At 10,000 ft (where I plan to use it next on elk and black bear) that bullet is still going over 2,500 fps at 500 yds. It retains more energy at 500 yds than a 30-06 does at the muzzle. Pretty big hammer.

My last five 3-shot groups are these at 100 yds. The larger one was when I let the barrel get a little too hot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to recoil, just ignore it. Like elkaddict, I have no brake, and don’t need one. I wear a Cabaela’s version of the Past-style shoulder pad when sighting in at the bench. It makes a BIG difference. I can’t over emphasize how much difference wearing a pad on my shoulder makes. I never get bruised no matter how long I shoot. I know the rifle is going to push me back, but not hurt. So, it allows me to ignore the recoil. My father is recoil sensitive with rifles. When he was getting ready to go to Alaska with me, he was considering taking my Rem 700 BDL 300 Win Mag, but thought the recoil would be far above what he could tolerate. I sent it to him with some Federal 180gr TSX loads to try---along with the recoil pad. He was shocked at how little the recoil bothered him wearing that pad. He had shot it when he was 22 years younger, and didn’t like it at all, but it didn’t bother him at all with the pad on his shoulder, and he was getting 1/2" groups with it.

When I first bought the 340 Accumark nine years ago, because of all the hysteria I read about its recoil, I bought a bunch of 200gr and 210gr cartridges, hoping I could handle those, and that they would not rip my shoulder completely off of my torso. I fired a couple and immediately realized that it was no big deal. I still have those boxes of lighter ammo with just a few rounds gone. I immediately went up to the 250gr NP loads. Still no big deal. When I squeeze the trigger, it’s going to push me back, but not bruise me. No big deal.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
People tend to focus on the shoulder when speaking of recoil and of course that is a factor. In my case with the 340, shoulder was no problem but I felt it in my neck and head. The "whiplash" affect on the head and neck for me was way worse than the shoulder push. Hence I added the brake. I'll concede if firing a couple shots at game, probably wouldn't matter but off the bench, different. Either way I kept the 340 but sadly it has not accounted for any game after 3 elk hunts and a couple bear hunts.

Largie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Guys
All the info is fantastic and I never gave any thought of a shoulder pad to help with the recoil, was looking for site here in Oz but its not a round that we shoot by the looks of things and all the info that I'm getting is out of America as thats seems to be where all the bigger game is.
The big game here in Oz is up the north of Queensland and its our Big wild Bulls and water Bufferlow and thats where our bigger boars are.
Its pretty pricy to go on a hunt in Oz unless you can find properties that will let you on.
I'm thinking of trying the 225gr SST Hornady bullets with RL19 and see how they go.
I get so frustated with reading and seeing stuff out of the States as our LAWS are so strict on what we can do. i like to shoot the bigger Calibers as it is so much fun, just got the .450 Bush Master with the 22" barrell and I love it man it blows [bleep] up.

Living The Dream;
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
SSTs would not be my bullet of choice for bulls or buffalo if you need real penetration. I’m quite fond of Partitions, and increasingly, with Accubonds. Had bad luck with early Barnes X bullets and have declined to give them another chance....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Elkaddict, the early X bullets are completely different from the new TTSX bullets. I'm quite fond of Partitions and Accubonds as well, but you may want to reconsider the newer Barnes TTSX bullets. They took this guy down:

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 340 Wby in a Sako Finnbear. It is a 1-12" twist so not the same as the Mark V. I found that it shoots the 225s the best but I typically shoot 250s in it. The 250 grain Berger is a game-slayer for sure! The lighter constructed 225s are not very good for some game- they really come apart on impact.

For powders, I like R19 for 225s and N560 and Mag Pro for the 250s. R17 works well too. I can get 3000 fps easily with 250s in my barrel (26" Gary Schneider ). Mag Pro, Magnum and R17 get there.

For recoil, I just shove a 8x10" piece of woolskin under my shirt or jacket. Make sure your scope has plenty of eye relief. It is a scope killer though. I have ruined 3 or 4 scopes on it so far.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
People tend to focus on the shoulder when speaking of recoil and of course that is a factor. In my case with the 340, shoulder was no problem but I felt it in my neck and head. The "whiplash" affect on the head and neck for me was way worse than the shoulder push. Hence I added the brake. I'll concede if firing a couple shots at game, probably wouldn't matter but off the bench, different. Either way I kept the 340 but sadly it has not accounted for any game after 3 elk hunts and a couple bear hunts.

Dogslife, I empathize with you. But hear me out: Until someone complains of bench recoil who actually is refusing to use one of the simple cheap pads while doing it, I’m going to be dubious.

It sits on the shoulder, but slows the rifle recoil down, and that affects the neck and head too.

I loaned one to the friend shooting with me today, and he could not believe the difference, and credited it with the ridiculously-tight groups he shot.

Until I hear of the recoil problem, FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALY HAS WORN A RECOIL PAD, I’m not sure what to believe.

It slows down the impact on both your shoulder and head/neck. If you try it and it doesn't work, I will believe it, but if you don't try it, I won't believe that it won't help based on the experience of me an those I know.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Point taken Marine.It's been 20 years since I have shot mine without the brake (before it was put on). It did (and does) have a decelerator pad on it but don't recall if I used much shoulder padding at the time. But agreed, anything that slows down the acceleration of recoil on the shoulder would also on the head/neck.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
P.S. I get such good groups with most any factory load that I don't bother reloading for it. My preferred one is the 250 partitions.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And to the OP you might want to search and check out the recent thread "can this elk rifle be beat" on the elk hunting forum with some more 340 info.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dog, My .340 is on a 700 action.. It is a great elk round, I usually shoot 210 partitions or 225 Accubonds.. It also flattens whitetail deer, antelope and coyotes very effectively!!!!

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 257_X_50, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.