Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I’ve said it to myself 5000 times I’ve got to get a better hand primer. Years ago I got started hand loading with a basic Rockchucker kit including RCBS hand primer/hair puller. I’ve been fighting the damn thing since I got it. Anyone who’s used one will know what I mean. What’s a good replacement?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used a Lee Auto prime for a long time.
It aluminum, and the link wore to the point it
wouldn't work right. I think I flipped it, and it's
still chugging along. I think RCBS makes one that
uses press shell holders and is steel. That's where
I would look today if buying. If it's not too heavy.
I don't think I would like the bench models.
I like to sit outside or do something else while priming,
the hand tool makes that easy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Scout,

I have used about 7 or 8 different kinds, but the one I use today is the old RCBS dedicated primer press. These things seat to a depth, not to a "feel" or pressure. They work exactly the same every time, and its easy to tell if the pockets are getting loose. I find the groups are actually a little smaller, I think because of uniform anvil preload. They operate by a cam. Problem: Finding one. I have two, and am not selling. One is for large primers, the other for small. I think they became too expensive or something, and were discontinued. Try eBay or maybe somebody on the 'Fire?

Second choice: The handheld units, though they are a big step down from the precision of the fixed press.

I think the key is to use something that involves seating to a dimension, not a force. You can stop if something is wrong.

Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the old Lee hand primers, the one with the round tray. I tried the square tray one but did not like it. They are making a newer triangle shaped one but I have not tried it. I did not like the RCBS one that I tried that a friend had. I think they make more than one model and others might be better. You can still get the Lee round tray on ebay, as they show pretty regular. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
IMHO the best for me is the RCBS Bench Priming Tool.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used the old Lee for years, still have two and lots of shellholders. Now I use the RCBS Universal one and it works well and is less likely to futz up. It can get a bit tiring if the pockets are tight and your hands are old, so a bench tool may be in my future.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Went through several Lee's, bought the latest and it won't digest large primers at all and is so so with small primers.

RCBS was not too user friendly and eventually wore out.

Tried the new Lyman and it didn't work at all, they replaced it and the second one ....same as the first would not seat primer deep enough.

Ended up with a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer and would highly recommend it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what your budget is, but this is what I use; buy once, cry once.

21st Century Shooting

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to put the primers in the tool one at a time? If not, how does it work? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've tried the cheaper ones and finally got a 21st Century. Well made, no plastic, and worth the money, particularly when you consider how much you use a priming tool. It's one-at-a-time, but it's not much slower than using one with a primer magazine.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Axtell
Went through several Lee's, bought the latest and it won't digest large primers at all and is so so with small primers.

RCBS was not too user friendly and eventually wore out.

Tried the new Lyman and it didn't work at all, they replaced it and the second one ....same as the first would not seat primer deep enough.

Ended up with a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer and would highly recommend it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...um-series-perfect-seat-hand-priming-tool

Same here Frankfort Arsenal. Adjustable seating depth. Comes with shell holders, you don't have to buy them separate. All in a nice case. Have a Lee and have used it for years but recently got this and like it a lot. Especially with Hornady brass of late. Very tight primer pockets.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
Do you have to put the primers in the tool one at a time? If not, how does it work? miles

Link to mfg video

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee Hand Primer (round tray) is just like the energizer bunny, just keeps on going.

[Linked Image]

My first hand primer was from a Lee Precision kit for the 22-250. I used it for several years and rebuilt it once and retired it when I got the above primer with a tray primer feed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I prime cases for my, ahem, gilt edge accurate 22-250 I use a Lee Loader die and arbor press.
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Owl, That one at a time primer, would be a pain in the butt, when I am loading 400 to 500 rnds at a time, in 1 day. there are many ways to make that job easier.and faster. wonder how many primers are on the floor were he reloads. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got 2 RCBS hand priming tools. One uses standard shell holders . The other universal jaws. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Forster bench model. A friend has one and it’s the cats meow. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always used a Hornady hand primer. Mainly because I could use the same shell holder as my press.

Dan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought an RCBS primer thinking it had to be better than the Lee- WRONG. The RCBS is clunky, difficult to load, and expensive for what you get.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought two of the RCBS Universals. Neither would fully seat a primer consistently and both tools seemed to take more muscle than other priming tools I had used. The first RCBS that I had was the one that used regular shell holders. While it was a little trouble to change everything over, it was a much better tool than the Universals I returned.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have the old RCBS, RCBS Universal, Old Lee, New Lee, and the Frankford Arsenal. Of these, the Frankford is a substantially more heavy duty and the only one I would recommend as quality reloading equipment. It is heavy though. It is also very precise and rivals bench mounted systems for consistency.

Last edited by prose; 09/26/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K&M or 21st century are top of the heap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.