Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I know of over 40 elk that won’t argue of the lethality of 165 grain Hornady Spire point bullet out of a 30-96...

I like it

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Ballisticly the Hornady 165gr btsp out performed almost every other off the shelf factory load that I have ever found. Never had a failure or been disappointed in their performance on Deer or hogs for over 30 years, not from 30 ft to 350 yards...

Let's PRAY that Hornady does NOT discontinue them AS they have other GOOD performers.?? sick sick

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 165-168gr bullets the best in my 30-06's.Plenty of speed and plenty of power for most game.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being how this is in the deer forum, I'll assume it is for deer - and that being the main target 150gr gets the nod in my 30-06's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For deer, pretty much any of the 3 main bullet weights work fine in the ‘06. My preference is for the 150s. They work just as well and offer slightly less recoil and slightly flatter trajectory over “ normal” hunting ranges.

Welcome to the hunting fraternity (and the 30/06 fraternity! grin)

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Started handloading for .30 caliber more than 40 yrs. ago, used a 180 gr. Hornady RN at that time and took the biggest whitetail I've ever harvested with that bullet. Since that time my preference had been for 165 gr. spitzer bullets, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra whatever my rifle shoots the best.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like 165's in a 308 or 30-06 . Two 30-06 rifles i have do not care what goes down the spout they are shooters. I can say I am very disappointed with Deer season XPs and Browning BXR after having used them on under 200 lb deer, too much blowup IMHO. I would like to try hornady superperformance SST's this year for some reason. I shot thru 1 1/2 inches of exterior plywood and then 1/2 " hardened steel plate at 100 yards and left a neat hole thru the plate.
Decisions grin

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ChaseA1
I looked at a energy chart for a 30-06 from Remington.
The 150 grain sp and all the way up to 220 grain bullets are great but the 165 grain sp had more energy at every yardage and quite a bit more! I was BLOWN away!!!!!!
I know if you were shooting through thick cover you want AT LEAST 180 grain.
The FPS second was normal for a 165 so I guess the 165 bullet is the perfect hunting bullet for the 30-06 in the field and mabye in light brush?
What is your thoughts. I’m only 13 so I don’t much but more than most 13 year olds. lol

Forget about shooting through brush, nothing is really reliable for that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
The 150 grain sp and all the way up to 220 grain bullets are great but the 165 grain sp had more energy at every yardage and quite a bit more! I was BLOWN away!!!!!!
The FPS second was normal for a 165 so I guess the 165 bullet is the perfect hunting bullet for the 30-06 in the field and mabye in light brush?
What is your thoughts. I’m only 13 so I don’t much but more than most 13 year olds. lol

+1

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by mathman

+1

DF

Yes indeed.

In yesteryears the Gun Writers DID testS with diff bullets ATTEMPTING to see which bullets worked best --> thru brush -- NONE did.
Forget aboutit.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/26/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

V
V
I like the idea of 120 for coyote and pigs, 150 for deer, 180 for elk, 220 for moose, and 165 for everything. But bullet placement and construction are more important. Frankly, a 125 grain bullet, properly constructed for the task, will kill anything in the Western hemisphere with a single well placed shot. As will a 220 grain bullet. I haven't seen any commercial 110 grain bullets that I would seek out for hunting the great bears, the big five, or the big cats of Africa. For those, I'd like to have a bit more persuasion than the '06. Nor have I seen a 220 grain bullet I would select for squirrels, prairie dogs or coyotes. But if that's all I had, and the situation warranted it, I'd sure pull the trigger. If it's a fox in the henhouse, stuff a few in the magazine and get out there! If it's a bull elk or moose in the haystacks, look for something heavy. Just don't take shots you are less than sure about!

Back in '75, W.L.Godfrey published his notes on the '06 in a 400 page spiral bound notebook. He included everything from 50 grain bullets at 4740 fps and 110 grain bullets at 3500, to 300 grain bullets loafing along at 2100 fps. The latter was a jacketed bullet with lead core up front and a tungsten core behind. I wouldn't try to match his loads. He showed a bolt with sheared locking lugs. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Trouble comes when I start talking up some other gun and my wife asks "What will that one do that your .30-06 won't?"
I have no answer for that question. There is nothing wrong with the 30-06.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by villagelightsmith
Trouble comes when I start talking up some other gun and my wife asks "What will that one do that your .30-06 won't?"

Man, can't the ladies dampen our Loony tendencies with pure logic.

Don't ya just hate it when that happens... blush

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Im glad you said you were 13 and getting started...

First the myth of " brush busting" bullets is just that...a myth. Counter intuitive but usually higher speed/lighter bullets work better in brush..but fact is NONE of them work good...
You didnt say what kind of hunting you'll be doing with your '06 so I have to assume it will be deer.
As some have said the 150 grainers are great for that, and as you've noticed, so are the 165s so I'd suggest shooting whatever is most comfortable and whatever your rifle prefers.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Im glad you said you were 13 and getting started...

First the myth of " brush busting" bullets is just that...a myth. Counter intuitive but usually higher speed/lighter bullets work better in brush..but fact is NONE of them work good...
You didnt say what kind of hunting you'll be doing with your '06 so I have to assume it will be deer.
As some have said the 150 grainers are great for that, and as you've noticed, so are the 165s so I'd suggest shooting whatever is most comfortable and whatever your rifle prefers.

We were all 13 at one time. Thanks, Ingwe, for encouraging Chase. We all read about "brush shooting" back in the day, and until test actually showed the fallacy of that premise, it was an intuitive given that's what would happen.

I think we have a Loony in the making... grin

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Except on a set of measure zero, we all didn't know what we didn't know at 13. grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Chase, glad to have you here. It's good to ask questions. You don't have to make all your own mistakes that way.
smile

Your question cannot be answered accurately because "best" is not something that we can define without a context. That's like asking what car is "best". Best for what use? keep in mind that weight is not always indicative of how a bullet works either. A 162 Gr Armor Piercing and a 165 grain Grand Slam bullet are very close in weight and would leave the muzzle at similar velocities, but the GS would not be the "best" for shooting up enemy vehicles and the AP would not be best for killing elk.

Most versatile? That could be answered, but bullet construction is actually more important then bullet weight. If we look at (for example) a 165 grain weight and compare a Sierra Game King to a Barnes TSX, the TSX is going to cost you more and give a potential for a lot more penetration in a moose or elk, but would not do anything any "better" then the Sierra if you were to shoot a white tail doe. And firing 500 rounds of ammo you can afford to practice with is going to do you a LOT more good then firing 200 round because your ammo costs so much.

So you see, "best" has a lot of facets to it that need to be examined. it may be better for you to give us all an overview of the use of your rifle before we delve deeper into trying to answer your questions. Also remember that you fire hundreds of rounds to learn the skills of marksmanship so that you are prepared for the 1 round you fire when it really matters. So for a new rifleman, the 'best" bullet is probably any accurate bullet you can afford to fire in large numbers. When hunting season gets close you then need to buy only one box of 50 or 100 special bullets---- and in a 30-06 many times you would not even need to do that. Ordinary "plane vanilla" 30 caliber 150 grain bullets have been killing deer for over 100 years from 30-06s, so unless you are hunting some kind of game that is typically over 400 pounds, your practice bullet and your "serious bullet" can be and probably are going to be the same one.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh......one thing more.

I started loading my own ammo at 12. that was a bit over 50 years ago. You should too!

PM me and I'll help you.

Happy hunting.
Steve Zihn.
Gunsmith.
Shoshoni Wyoming.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good advise, I have been reloading for more than 45 yrs. and agree with what szihn is advising you. I especially agree that your practice bullet and your hunting bullet should be the same and that whitetails do not require a bullet so expensive so as to make adequate practice too expensive. I practice pretty much year 'round and even though I have loads that I've developed years ago I still keep an open mind and load development/trying new combinations is an ongoing process. I have developed a target with space for recording load information, after a range session I fill in the data and place the targets in a caliber specific file. That way by reviewing the targets in the file I can see what loads produce the accuracy I am looking for. Anyone that would like a copy of this target can PM me and I would be happy to e-mail them a target.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

DF

I am lucky I think, mine just says I want one also.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 09/26/18.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

DF

I am lucky I think, mine just says I want one also.

grin

Ya gotta jewel. Take care of her... cool

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,746 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,900
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.