-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm in the process of setting up my first gunsmithing shop. I have quite a few years of working for other shops. but this is my first foray into the real world of working for myself. I have a great space to work with, but I'm hoping for ideas on how you guys have set up your shops, and why. I am looking for any ideas that will make the shop more efficient, etc. Any worthwhile sugestions will be appreciated.

You can PM me pics of your set ups as opposed to taking up space here.

Thanks for your replies!

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Set it up to suit yourself, we can't know what suits your sensibilities. I would take pains to keep the woodworking area sealed off from the metaworking area though. Nothing worse than having your lathe and mill covered in sawdust.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I agree with gnoahhh, have a separate room for stock work, wood and fiberglass dust is a mess. Don't know what type of work you're going to be doing so it's hard to tell you how to set up your shop. You're going to have lathes, Mills, surface grinders, sanding belts, buffing wheels? if you get into bluing, parkerizing, nickel plating, spray-on finishes, make sure you have a separate building for that as that stuff is corrosive. You said you worked for a few different shops then you should have an idea of how you should set Yours up

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
After "quite a few years working for other shops" one would think that you yourself would have pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't work for you. It's gonna be your shop.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
After "quite a few years working for other shops" one would think that you yourself would have pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't work for you. It's gonna be your shop.

Yes sir!

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My years were spent in two shops, one very large and one very small, neither was a general gunsmithing shop. Since this is my first personal shop I was hoping for some insight on what others may have learned through trial and error with thier set ups.

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Maybe you are not quite ready.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.