Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Greetings all,

I am in contact with Gary LaRose about a Fall Brown Bear hunt in the near future. I might have a trade worked out. Has anyone here hunted with him or know him at all? Thanks in advance for the input and help.

S'man

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are still after that bear, this is your guy. Only a handfull, hunt out that far. Cold Bay I presume?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I am still after Mr. Bear. Gotta mend my broken bear heart and the only way I know to do this is to pierce the heart of the great bruin!

I have not heard him mention cold bay yet. Is this where you have heard that he hunts? I take it that you are aquainted with him to some degree? More info if you have it, please. Thanks!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's a friend of a friend. Talked briefly with him last year. Not many venture out as far as Cold Bay. He has a set-up out there is I'm not mistaken. He is highly recommended, but has had some guide turnover problems. Question the capability of your guide, if Gary won't be doing the guiding.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't know the guy but if you're interested in hunting Cold Bay wouldn't be afraid to give Henry Tiffany a call. He hunts out of Cold Bay or used to, it's expensive, but they take some good bears down there. And he's hooked on Africa now after a couple of Safari's I'd say he'd be open to some trade possibly.

907 456-4868

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary is a lifelong Alaskan, second generation guide and a good man. He has an excellent exclusive guide area, mid way down the peninsula in unit 9, and has absolutely superb, experienced assistant guides.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Phil,

Thank you for that confirmation. I have been calling his references and so far all checks out real well. Great to see another pro (you) give another guy, a competitor, a good word. Shows class and proffesionalism. I would be hunting with you in a minute, but with a son in the biz you did not seem terribly interested in trading a hunt in Africa for a brown bear hunt. It was great visiting with you a bit at SCI. If I do not get 'ol Yogi (even boo boo would work! I am on a mission!) on this trip I will just have to break down and book a hunt with you far enough down the road time wise that I will be able to save up the money for it! smile I was going to post the photo of you that I took at SCI but it came out real fuzzy.

In researcing things a bit, it looks like Gary's area is adjacent to Butch Kings and AAA's area's. Both of which have good reputations for producing good bears. I think that I have found my man. There is another opening during my hunt of October 11 to 21. Anyone here intersted in grabbing that spot for $13,000? A great deal as far as I can tell. PM me if interested.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
safariman, You should have a great hunt with Gary and you are correct about his area.
Sorry the photo you took didn't turn out. Probably the subject matter. I get pretty fuzzy by the end of those shows.
stay in touch - especially about trading - I don't remember you mentioning it at the show.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all who offered an opinion or experience here or via personal messaging. I would have booked with 458WIN aka Phil Shoemaker in a minute had I had any cash. The events of the last year leave me scrambling to find Brown Bear outfitters who would do a zero cash hunt trade and Gary will be with us in Zimbabwe this year as a straigth across trade that benefits all concerned. Since I have only been Brown Bear hunting twice I will likely be posting more questions here as I near my Peninsula Adventure. Based upon Phils comments and phone conversations with past hunters it does look like Gary does indeed have a great operation. Time to go out and blast some sage rats with the 'ol 416Rigby in preparation! smile

H
HBH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The new lodge will be up and running by then. Pretty nice for the neighborhood. Get your throwing arm in shape, Cinder will test that for you while they are fleshing your hide.

HBH

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I take it you know, or maybe even ARE Gary LaRose.... At a minimum you have hunted with him. Maybe one of his guides? Please do tell!!!

I like your positive attitude. I will show up in good physical condition with good equipment and a good attitude ready to hunt hard. I am anticipating a close encounter with Yogi.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually, I think that I just figured out who you are. I am pretty sure I spoke with you on the phone last night. You took a good moose and then came back for a bear in '04 if I have figured it out correctly. No need to reveal your identity here if you don't want to. Thanks for your time yesterday. Great visit.

H
HBH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
safariman,

We spoke fri. evening, actually the bear was taken spring of 2004 and the moose last sept. I'll be back in camp maybe next summer to turn a few salmon. And it isn't all about a big bear and and a big moose.

Many Thanks

HBH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

426 members (1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,238
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.