Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
He doesn't want to reach further out, and in fact probably can't even shoot to 250 where he hunts.

32-34 grains of H4895 will do the 2300 fps trick.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think I might try some slow 150s as well since I have a bunch of them. But that loping 140 sounds interesting.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am tempted to try the 150 gr. Partitions in my 30-30 AI. Should be able to easily get 2400 fps and this would make a good timber load along with being useful to 250 yards covering the vast majority of Whitetail hunting.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
I think I might try some slow 150s as well since I have a bunch of them. But that loping 140 sounds interesting.

I'm hard pressed to tell the difference in wound channels in hogs between a 140 partition and a 139 Interlock at any speed a 7-08 (or 7x57) will launch them at.

A partition will work but at those speeds I'd use a 139 Interlock. They're cheaper and work great.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13163254/red-nosler#Post13163254

Well I did find a red box of Nosler bullets. Surely not the originals but still probably old.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took a moose with a 150 gr Partition out of a 300 Savage last week. My first shot, in a sideways rainstorm, hit high in the liver. Next shot, thru the heart and lungs, at 65 yards, rolled him instantly. Was on my knees, in knee high brush, with no kind of rest in sight.
Been a fan of Partitions for 4 decades, yet to be disappointed.
Other 3 guys in camp were using various 300 mags with 180 gr bullets, not Partitions. Guy using Trophy Bondeds shot his 3 times, 1st shot was bad and last shot un-necessary. Other 2 got 1 shot kills, 1 with Interlock and don't remember what bullet other guy used. All shot their bulls thru the shoulder at 200-250 yards. Ground up some meat, but collected their bulls.
Something to be said for rifles and calibers that make it easy to put a bullet in the right spot.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story about Partitions and Savage rifles. I assume you shot the moose with a Savage 99. Which model 99?

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jerseyboy,
it's a 1899 EG takedown with a Redfield peep. Just right in a rain blowing sideways.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Jerseyboy,
it's a 1899 EG takedown with a Redfield peep. Just right in a rain blowing sideways.

Nice Rifle Fish,
any pictures? That is a classic and a fine choice in Cartridge. Glad you were able to get on game this season. Sounds like a freezer full.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a pic posted down in the image gallery. Hope you all enjoy my camo pants. Pics where the moose went down did not come out well as it was seriously raining, so picture is back at cabin later in the afternoon.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
fishdog,

Congratulations!

But I have heard, especially on the Campfire, that Partitions aren't accurate enough and lose too much weight to kill any sort of big game well. How did you ever manage a moose?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
fishdog,

Congratulations!

But I have heard, especially on the Campfire, that Partitions aren't accurate enough and lose too much weight to kill any sort of big game well. How did you ever manage a moose?
Now this is some good humor.....

If I may tag along, I've said I prefer the A-frame to Nosler's partition because the A-frame does not shed the front core.....this yields weight retention. It also has been my experience that A-Frames are slightly more accurate..... that said, it's never been my experience that Nosler's partition isn't fully adequate to what ever task is at hand. It's entirely possible that spending more on a bullet over the price of partitions from Nosler is a complete waste of money.

One can look all over the forums on the internet and he can find some negative reports on just about every bullet made......except the partition from Nosler. I've never found anyone that bad-mouths this bullet.......and that's saying a lot.

M
M
First post. I started using Partitions in the late '60's and they have treated me well. I shot my first moose in 1959. My dad always preached neck/back of the head shots. When we moved to central Alaska in 1951 he bought a new Model 70 30-06 with a Williams receiver sight, and he was a deadly shot with it. All of these years I followed this method. .375 H&H, 7mm mag, 30-06 it didn't matter. I probably didn't need the Partitions for this particular shot, but they shot well and gave me confidence in bear country. We never lost a moose. This year my son tried a lung shot on a 2 year old at 50 yds. Bullet entered right behind the near leg and exited the opposite side slightly forward hitting the far leg, but no bones were hit, not even ribs. The bullet did a good job, the moose was down in 30 feet. I was amazed at the amount of lost meat in the far shoulder. A lot of blood shot all through that shoulder. Load was a Federal High Energy 30-06 with the 180 grain partition. I am thinking seriously about changing to the 220 grain partitions at slightly reduced velocity of 2400 fps for the future. The longest shot I ever had to make on a moose was 300 yds. (but most are much closer) and the 220's should hold up well in this application. Maybe less meat loss and better bear protection in the woods.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have killed a total of 15 elk in my life so far and way too many deer and pigs to count and all but a few were shot with 180 30 cal Partitions.
I now use Accubond's mostly as I can get better accuracy than Partitions but I still love the old Partition and use them every now and then.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
DropShot nice to hear from you!!!! Partitions are great!! Been using Accubonds a bit lately!!

Molon Labe
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
captdavid,

Yeah, you're right. Many hunters misunderstand Partitions. Many make the comment that they're too "tough" for deer-sized game, or assume because the exit hole can be pretty small, a Partition didn't expand--which as I've noted before, makes me wonder how many hunters axctually field-dress their own game.

The front core of Partitions consists of 2.5% antimony lead alloy, softer than any of the cup-and-core big game bullets I know of. The rear core alloy contains considerably more antimony. If I recall correctly, in most models it's 5%, but can vary slightly depending on the specific bullet, not only due to the game it might be used on, but accuracy. Some bullets shoot better with a slightly harder or softer rear core.

The jacket conformation can also vary, both over the rear core and front core, depending on the usual use of the bullet.

Mule Deer, do you happen to know the material makeup of the core of the Lapua Scenar? Specifically the 139gn 6.5. Reason I ask is I shot them into a target made of 1.5” particle board, then a stack of somewhat damp magazines. The 139 out penetrated every other bullet to include a 140 Partition and 127 LRX. It acted much more stout than the 147 And 143 ELDs as well as 140 Berger. The core acted differently and left me wondering what was different.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
fishdog,

Congratulations!

I agree, they suck... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
fishdog,

Congratulations!

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
fishdog,

Congratulations!

[Linked Image]

It's the indian, not the partition?? smirk

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Native Indians gave up stone and bone for copper and partitioned heads years ago. In this picture, a representative of Barns shows interested onlookers at last years's SHOT their latest innovation - the Barns Copper Head Tomahawk.

It's always the Indian.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.