Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of letting nature take its course, the Federal Government is going to intervene.

https://apnews.com/49e7ac6f98bf4cab9db1d0049fe9b9c3

September 27, 2018

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — Two gray wolves have been relocated from the Minnesota mainland to Isle Royale National Park, kicking off a multiyear effort to restore the species on the Lake Superior island chain, officials said Thursday.

The National Park Service said a 4-year-old female and a 5-year-old male were flown to the park Wednesday from the Grand Portage Indian Reservation. They were released separately in locations well away from the territory of two aging wolves already there.

The female quickly left her crate and began exploring her new surroundings, while the male did likewise after dark.

“Releasing these two wolves on the island is the first step to restoring the ecological dynamic in the park,” Superintendent Phyllis Green said.

Plans call for moving four additional wolves to the park this fall and building the population to 20 to 30 over the next few years, restoring numbers that would enable the wily predators to keep the island’s abundant moose herd in check as they did for decades after arriving in the late 1940s.

Scientists believe the wolves crossed ice bridges from northeastern Minnesota or the Canadian province of Ontario to the park, an archipelago nearly 15 miles (24 kilometers) off the mainland.

Their numbers rose as high as 50 but generally ranged in the low- to mid-20s before crashing in recent years.

Some fell victim to accidents or diseases. But researchers with Michigan Technological University say the biggest problem was abnormalities resulting from inbreeding, as a warming lake surface has frozen over less often in winter, giving mainland wolves fewer opportunities to cross over, mate and freshen the gene pool.

Meanwhile, the moose population has reached about 1,500. Park managers say if the surge continues, they could overeat trees and shrubs, potentially damaging the ecosystem. Officials decided to intervene when the wolves failed to bounce back on their own, despite the usual policy of letting nature take its course in federally designated wilderness areas.

The two newcomers, each weighing about 75 pounds (34 kilograms), were caught by trappers Tuesday and held overnight for a veterinary exam, vaccinations and fitting with tracking collars.

The transfer went smoothly despite gusty winds and heavy cloud cover that raised questions about whether the floatplane could make the trip, park spokeswoman Liz Valencia said.

“Finally we got a window of good weather and had to hurry up and get the wolves ready to go,” Valencia said. “Fortunately, we didn’t run out of daylight.”

Managers hope the other wolves to be taken to the island this fall will come from Michigan’s Upper Peninsula as well as Minnesota to enhance genetic diversity, she said.

The park service said it will evaluate the project’s success by monitoring moose kill rates, genetics, wolf-to-moose ratios and vegetation conditions, among other factors.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fucgking idiots

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You heard about the female that they captured died?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Who's funding this sh it?

Minnesota? Michigan? The Feds?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There goes the neighborhood.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
horse turds soaked in antifreeze.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If they don't bring in wolves, what do you do about the moose population? It's a national park, so no hunting.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Who's funding this sh it?

Minnesota? Michigan? The Feds?

Probably our sportsmens Pittman-Robertson tax dollars.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fucgking idiots

Absolutely, "The Experiment" they did on Isle Royale was the most evil experiment with wildlife I have ever known of. I'm no fan of the wolf but damn.

They want the moose population under control they should open it up to hunters.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
they're just dickin around, to no purpose

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fucgking idiots

exactly !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sse
they're just dickin around, to no purpose

Nothing more than a playground for a couple of wolf "experts" with a PhD...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by UPhiker
If they don't bring in wolves, what do you do about the moose population? It's a national park, so no hunting.

Grand Teton is a National Park and hunting Elk has been allowed for decades and decades to control the Elk population. The Feds can make adjustments, it seems they don't want to in this case. Feeding the moose to wolves is a piss poor decision. Let licensed hunters bring the moose population back to the carrying capacity and MAKE money doing it, instead of wasting money and resources bringing wolves back in. Like they did in Yellowstone.

R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
One wolf didn't make it.https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/09/29/isle-royale-wolf-dies/

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Michigan bobbles then F's up every matter when it comes to wildlife and conservation. We're the laughing stock of the Midwest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Who says "no hunting". A shame to waste that much good meat. Any biologist that would tell the truth would advise killing a bunch of female moose. At least as many or more females than the male harvest. Could be a good revenue source for the state and the hunting could be stopped at any time if there was too much of a population decline. The animal rights advocates could console themselves with the fact that human hunter harvest is much more humane and easier to control than harvest by roving packs of dogs.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Finally, we are able to drop our wolf population. Now, time to ship off some more to points south and east.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I think they need five or six dozen moved to Central Park NY.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Few if any parks us or state allow hunting.
What “experiment”? The previous population was “natural”, via immigration and worked well except for the inbreeding.

They should drop a few dozen wolves in there every couple years. Prevent inbreeding and lessen pops elsewhere!

Establish a Gofundwolves for all the wolf lovers to contribute their bleeding heart Bambi funds to. 😜

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I think they need five or six dozen moved to Central Park NY.

I personally believe Times Square would work. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,609
Posts18,511,675
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.