Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The 35 Whelen did the trick on this one Saturday morning.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mmmm tasty. Any bull unit, there is one down the road from us, going to have to snoop around some. While I'd still like a 65 plus for the wall to make the 51 look tiny..... I do like to eat.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Chris
Did you check to see if an orange-bladed knife can be seen through the scapula?

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Chris
Did you check to see if an orange-bladed knife can be seen through the scapula?

wink

eek You owe me a cup of coffee and a keyboard!

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have kilt moose with .264 mag and .300 H&H.

It's all fun until some dumb son of a bitch goes and shoots a frizzin' moose!

Attached Images
IMG_0813 (1).jpg (27.84 KB, 70 downloads)
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My SAKO L61R 338/06AI killed mine with no fuss, no muss! Don't know how you get 2800 fps. Nosler 210 Part. run at just under 2700 fps! Shoots bug hole groups though!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rifle first, bullet second, cartridge third.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mart nice one...

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mart
The 35 Whelen did the trick on this one Saturday morning.

[Linked Image]

kinda looks like one I got a few years back, except I had a lousy photographer.
375 H&H did the trick
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2
At your advice I went and checked...

33 days after the kill. Nothing touched the carcass which I thought was weird. No soft tissue remaining, which... holy crap that seems fast, but I guess a bear might carry some pretty special gut bugs.

Stomach contents appear to have been 99% moose and caribou hair.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I’d have to admit that bear looks fairly dead 💀. Tks for checking

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mart nice one...

Thank you sir. Spotted him fifty yards off the trail in pretty thick brush. He acted like he thought we were a couple of moose. I grunted at him to get a look at him through the binocular. I thought he had three brow tines. While holding the binocular on him I grunted a couple more times and he started coming straight at us. I saw he had three brow tines and he gave me a slightly quartering to shot so I lined up on the the shoulder where I thought the spine would be and sent an old 275 grain Hornady round nose his direction. He dropped on the spot at 35 yards.

I never found the bullet other than a tiny shard of jacket and lead where the bullet passed through the on side shoulder blade. I cut and wrapped the the moose myself and never found it despite there not being an exit hole. I was hoping to recover it as that's the first game I've shot with that bullet.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to find me unit 14 bull too shoot.. but the usual places overloaded with hunters.. baldy, zerooake, Hatcher pass etc.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang now there's video of me on the internet. pretty swell duds I sport though eh?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Taking the boat up next week for a moose/black bear/wolf/deer hunt on Kuiu. It will be the 6.5 Creed with 147 ELDM.

Who wants to go?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I 7WSM'd mine this year. Under 100 yards.

7WSM'd a grizzerly bear about a month ago, and he remains dead as hell too.....

I used my 7 wsm this year as well to kill a 56" moose at 6:30 AM opening day at 150 yards . One shot and done. Later that day my buddy used a 6.5 CM to shoot a 51" at 330 yards...again one and done.

Now I don't have as much moose experience as many here with only seeing 70 moose killed with roughly 50 in the last 15 years, but I have not seen them really be the "old warriors" that many have seen.

In my limited experience moose die very easy. Most hit well will take the shot and take a couple steps and then takes roughly 15-30 seconds for the lungs to fill up and they fall over. Doesn't seem to matter if its a 243, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 HH, or 45/70 by and large the results are the same in my experience.

So take the rifle you like best and rock on and don't over think it.

Oh yeah my 7 WSM is a 27" barrel chassis rifle that is cumbersome as the day is long. I was wishing for my 21" barrel 338-06 or 16" barrel 308, but again it worked out fine. Just not ideal for off hand shots in the brush with a 6X scope haha. I will be building a 300 WSM with a 21" barrel this winter though to compliment the 338-06.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Heya Luke, wowsa, congrats on the moose!! Youre in good company with the ole 7mm caliber. I remember reading an article in one of the reloading manuals, written by John Nosler Sr. He wrote that the next partition he put together, was for his 7mm mag, and the that 7mm rifles were always his favorite. I've never heard of a chassis rifle, what the heck is that?!

Can't rember where I read it, but a guy was talking last year on one of these forums, that he put a 225 grain swift a-frame through a small bull moose. Lay there for a good while, then when he go close, darn bull popped right up ready for a fight! I'd bet that would work better than coffee.

Anyhoo, time to shift gears to mileing up dogs. Been running morning and night circuits all week, finally cold enough. Hopefully by fall time, these jack a$$es start following their gee and haww commands round here, or else I'll have to borrow a chassis rifle for one of em.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Heya Luke, wowsa, congrats on the moose!! Youre in good company with the ole 7mm caliber. I remember reading an article in one of the reloading manuals, written by John Nosler Sr. He wrote that the next partition he put together, was for his 7mm mag, and the that 7mm rifles were always his favorite. I've never heard of a chassis rifle, what the heck is that?!

Can't rember where I read it, but a guy was talking last year on one of these forums, that he put a 225 grain swift a-frame through a small bull moose. Lay there for a good while, then when he go close, darn bull popped right up ready for a fight! I'd bet that would work better than coffee.

Anyhoo, time to shift gears to mileing up dogs. Been running morning and night circuits all week, finally cold enough. Hopefully by fall time, these jack a$$es start following their gee and haww commands round here, or else I'll have to borrow a chassis rifle for one of em.........

HAHA....exactly. Kinda proves my point. It went right through and left great exit hole through the lungs but hit a bit low so they didn't filll up as well. Where as a 243 hit perfectly in the lungs it would have been a non issue. He wasn't exactly ready to fight though he was pretty wobbly legged....not exactly an exciting thing. Placement is first and foremost certainly, I still maintain that moose aren't hard to kill as most standard cartridges used will work. Most often than not if someone asks if such as such cartridge will work my usual reply is "yup that'll work too" hardly need a 250-350 grain bullet to kill these things, but again... yup those will work too. smile

Good luck to ya this winter with the dog. I am sure you'll keep them guys in line for sure.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I 7WSM'd mine this year. Under 100 yards.

7WSM'd a grizzerly bear about a month ago, and he remains dead as hell too.....

I used my 7 wsm this year as well to kill a 56" moose at 6:30 AM opening day at 150 yards . One shot and done. Later that day my buddy used a 6.5 CM to shoot a 51" at 330 yards...again one and done.

Now I don't have as much moose experience as many here with only seeing 70 moose killed with roughly 50 in the last 15 years, but I have not seen them really be the "old warriors" that many have seen.

In my limited experience moose die very easy. Most hit well will take the shot and take a couple steps and then takes roughly 15-30 seconds for the lungs to fill up and they fall over. Doesn't seem to matter if its a 243, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM, 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 HH, or 45/70 by and large the results are the same in my experience.

So take the rifle you like best and rock on and don't over think it.

Oh yeah my 7 WSM is a 27" barrel chassis rifle that is cumbersome as the day is long. I was wishing for my 21" barrel 338-06 or 16" barrel 308, but again it worked out fine. Just not ideal for off hand shots in the brush with a 6X scope haha. I will be building a 300 WSM with a 21" barrel this winter though to compliment the 338-06.

Thanks for posting this great post. Yes : some feel a shorter barrel is best for moose and maybe so ? when I buy this standard Remington 700 7 mag.ss 26 inch barrel I may sell when I am done using this rifle ? so I will buy and use what sells best at my shop The Alaskan moose hunters I will be with prefer and like to use a 7 rem. mag. so that`s what I will use, caliber-cartridge I don`t care I am flexible on what cartridge to use in a bolt rifle ,but it will be with my handloads and a Nightforce scope . Have I hunted moose nope but I have killed plenty deer,elk ,pigs,black bears with a bow and arrow,so when I go to Alaska with a rifle I think I will do just fine and my sharp knife will do the rest.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53

Thanks for posting this great post. Yes : some feel a shorter barrel is best for moose and maybe so ? when I buy this standard Remington 700 7 mag.ss 26 inch barrel I may sell when I am done using this rifle ? so I will buy and use what sells best at my shop The Alaskan moose hunters I will be with prefer and like to use a 7 rem. mag. so that`s what I will use, caliber-cartridge I don`t care I am flexible on what cartridge to use in a bolt rifle ,but it will be with my handloads and a Nightforce scope . Have I hunted moose nope but I have killed plenty deer,elk ,pigs,black bears with a bow and arrow,so when I go to Alaska with a rifle I think I will do just fine and my sharp knife will do the rest.

Yup, that'll work too. smile

My long barrel 7 Mag would be one of my LAST choices for a dedicated moose rifle, but it worked no doubt.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 61 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,888
Posts18,497,917
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.