Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well yeah, NOTHING performs like a Barnes! smile

Of course, that all depends on your definition of “performs”

If you like high BC bullets for taking game at extended ranges, many bullets out perform Barnes.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When comes to killings things quick many bullets outperform Barnes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder if Sierra have learnt any lessons from Nosler and Hornady with their early plastic tip bullets. Both were known for being a bit fragile in the beginning. Sierras promo video shows the GC expanding and holding together well but sometimes real life results differ to promo videos.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'm running the 6mm 90 grainer in a 243 right now...

I'm interested in the 6mm 90 grain game changer, specifically on how it would perform at lower speeds.....like from a 6x45.

I settled on an old standby load, for what I can 30/30 ranges... which is woods ranges by other folks definition.. the load is 30 grains of IMR 4198....MV in the 2500 fps range...

Regarding Steve Ridgewell's post of the pricing in Canuckia....

I have bought 30 boxes, packaged in 50 count....got them at Sportsman's Warehouse...
the price with my military discount, was $14.25 per box in American Money. not sure what the exchange rate is running as I haven't been in Canada since 2002. That price in on par with a Nosler 90 grain Ballistic Tip box of 50.... actually a little cheaper...

Now I just need a volunteer Bambi to make the ultimate sacrifice...if I can get away from "Obligations".. and just go out hunting....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'm running the 6mm 90 grainer in a 243 right now...

I'm interested in the 6mm 90 grain game changer, specifically on how it would perform at lower speeds.....like from a 6x45.

I settled on an old standby load, for what I can 30/30 ranges... which is woods ranges by other folks definition.. the load is 30 grains of IMR 4198....MV in the 2500 fps range...

Please let me know how it goes when you get that volunteer. That speed and the distance you list are right in line for my planned use of the 6x45....right now I've loaded 85 grain partitions to start with. Thanks!

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BWalker

My experience is quite the opposite. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WAM

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I ran some 90 grain GCs through the 22” 1-9” twist .243 the other day. All loads were set at 2.80” (Mag length)

43 grains of IMR 4350 clocked 3175. I shot 1 round each from 41 grains to 43.5 grains.... 5 rounds total, they went about 3/4”.... I’m going to load up a dozen at 43 and run them out to 600.

47.5 grains of RE23 clocked 3210. I only shot 3 rounds of RE23... but they went about 3/4” also. I’ll probably load up a few of these and shoot them at 600 also...

I made up a half-dozen with a nice mellow load of 37.5 grains IMR 4064 that clocked 3050 and shot under 3” at 450 (in a pretty solid wind). BC seems to be spot on at .49.... but 1/4 mile isn’t exactly a stern test of BC.

It looks like they’ll shoot well, and it appears the .490 BC is legit. I’m planning on using them on antelope next week.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah yes, this thread has morphed into yet another "Barnes is Best."

In my field experience (which includes over 150 Barnes X's going back the original and blue-coated XLC), they kill very well when put through the shoulders or spine, or even very close to the spine. They don't kill as well as, say, Sierras when put through the lungs behind the shoulders, for a very simple reason: They don't do as much damage to the lungs, because Barnes X's don't partially fragment (at least not much) compared to lead-core bullets.

This is also why Barnes X's don't ruin as much meat as lead-cored bullets. But you can't have it both ways.

I have also found the statement "NOTHING performs like a Barnes" not to be true. I have also seen a bunch of other monolithics used on various big game animals from pronghorn to moose in North America, and springbok to eland in Africa. The Hornady GMX and Nosler E-Tip do exactly the same things, as far as I've been able to tell, whether wound channels, weight retention, deep penetration, or lack of meat damage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My bullet can beat-up your bullet...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
My bullet can beat-up your bullet...

Yeah, what he said, or better yet, perhaps a tongue in cheek icon needs to be made available....Sometimes I can't help myself when I see the other end of the spectrum as in "TTSXs would be my last choice" drivel...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the bullet banter but it is difficult to not sound like locker room talkr at some point. The TTSX definately don't suck. Game changers? Hmm I can't think of one shot I have made where they would have made a difference. Maybe it could have helped with some of the misses. I still have not wrung out the ELD-Xs yet. I keep admiring them and then proceed to load up more Barnes, Noslers and Hornadays. Too many bullets not enough time.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/03/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would like to try the .243" 90 grain SGC in my .240 Wby.

.240 is a different animal than the .243.

I tried the 90 gr. Scenar in my .240, made soup of a WT chest. Nasty clean up at the skinning shed. No more that combo for me.

That bullet would probably do better in a .243.

Not sure about the 90 gr. SGC, how it may compare to the 90 gr. Scenar. Hopefully, it's tougher.

I'd want more info before trying it on game with the .240.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have boxes of Gamechangers, 6.5 and .308, ready for loading and testing once work slows down. I have a year's collection of newspapers to soak. A few years back, in preparation for a goat hunt, I tested a number of bullets for accuracy and performance in wet newsprint. Both the Game King and the Pro Hunter performed much better than I expected. They were as accurate as the Berger VLDs I was using at the time and penetrated and expanded very well. The Hornady Interlock and Interbond also performed well. The Barnes bullets did as I expected: decent but not impressive accuracy and deep penetration with about 98% weight retention. The MRX bullets were amazing for penetration out of a .300WSM. With a box of those bullets you could literally chop down a fair-sized tree.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ah yes, this thread has morphed into yet another "Barnes is Best."

In my field experience (which includes over 150 Barnes X's going back the original and blue-coated XLC), they kill very well when put through the shoulders or spine, or even very close to the spine. They don't kill as well as, say, Sierras when put through the lungs behind the shoulders, for a very simple reason: They don't do as much damage to the lungs, because Barnes X's don't partially fragment (at least not much) compared to lead-core bullets.

This is also why Barnes X's don't ruin as much meat as lead-cored bullets. But you can't have it both ways.

I have also found the statement "NOTHING performs like a Barnes" not to be true. I have also seen a bunch of other monolithics used on various big game animals from pronghorn to moose in North America, and springbok to eland in Africa. The Hornady GMX and Nosler E-Tip do exactly the same things, as far as I've been able to tell, whether wound channels, weight retention, deep penetration, or lack of meat damage.

Spot on. You cant claim things like "eat up to the hole", "less blood shot", etc on one hand and then in the other claim they kill as fast as lead and copper bullets. They simply dont, unless the CNS is hit and with placement like that most any bullet kills pretty quickly.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would like to try the .243" 90 grain SGC in my .240 Wby.

.240 is a different animal than the .243.

I tried the 90 gr. Scenar in my .240, made soup of a WT chest. Nasty clean up at the skinning shed. No more that combo for me.

That bullet would probably do better in a .243.

Not sure about the 90 gr. SGC, how it may compare to the 90 gr. Scenar. Hopefully, it's tougher.

I'd want more info before trying it on game with the .240.

DF

Interesting DF. I do have a .243 Winchester and I can load them in it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just a thought - instead of "SGC" for this bullet, Sierra lists it as TGK, for Tipped GameKing, which is consistent with the Matchking (SMK) and Tipped MatchKing (TGK) lines. The "Gamechanger" thing is just marketing and a play on "Gameking", nothing more.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jacket thickness looks good on the GC not as thick as a BT but much better than a Scenar. I quit Sierras because I was using the bullets in the wrong applications. Matchkings are not game bullets just like they say. Also the 308 cal 150s are perfect in a 308 or 30-06 in a 300 magnum not so much. Still I will let others do the initial testing.

MTRancher if you want to try some 103 ELD-Xs for comparison to the 90 GC I can send you some. I hope they work in my 6mmAI the ELD-xs as it is twisted for the 105s and I am happy with the 95 grainers from Nosler already. No reason to change other than curiosity.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by WAM

+1

+2

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I haven't shot enough animals with Barnes to form a valid opinion, but here's what I do know. This past Summer I killed two axis bucks. First one was on a trip with Ingwe to Del Rio, TX and I was using a 7-08 with 120 BT's. The second was near Eden, TX and I wanted to get the Creed bloodied so I carried it loaded with 120 TTSX's. I shot both animals in the identical spot, broadside straight through the shoulders. The BT did not exit, but was found under off-side hide perfectly mushroomed, and that buck dropped like a prom dress, having not taken a step. The other one taken with the TTSX (exited of course) ran about 40 yards and fell over dead.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.