Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I grew up hunting with dogs, but now prefer still hunting. My favorite tactic, whenever possible, is to drop down inside a semi-dry creek bed and still hunt up/down the creek. Generally, in the soft creek bottom, you can move along very quietly, and if the creek bottom is deep enough, the creek banks help conceal you and reduce the chances of the bushytails seeing you coming.

What is your favorite method of bagging the bushytails?

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
still hunting or slow stalking. which is practicing for deer and becomeing familiar with turf I'm hunting.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the still hunting and slipping along. My dad calls it "ghosting the timber" and it is excellent practice for all hunting. I deer hunt the same way. Slip along and take them as they come, stalk to ones you spot working a mast bearing tree, if I get to a really good looking place I may take a seat on a log or with my back against a big hickory or oak. When the mood strikes, pick up and slide along...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

CK
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Sit and shoot in a stand of oak. Having some apples nearby, or sitting beside a corn field works as well. Around here our creekbeds are never dry. Still hunting is also a blast, but currently where I hunt isn't large enough for much moving, but carries a lot of squirrel.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
In winter my tactic is to sittin near known food sources, same for rabbit hunting. I also stalk hunt in the summer and spring when food is more than plentiful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess hunting style may be dependant upon location. Here in the forest I hunt, the forest itself consist of mainly oak/hickory hardwoods. Long steep sided timbered ridges and brushy timbered spring and creek bottoms. Food for squirrels grows on nearly every tree. I hunt large tracts of public land, some as large as 250,000 acres. Usually there are plenty of squirrels, lots of mast, no competition, and all the ground you care to walk over. Our daily limit is six squirrels and I usually kill around 100 per season until I give it up and start deer hunting and predator calling.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I used to live in the MO Ozarks, had never hunted squirrels until I got there. While there, I got my English Springer, and taught her to respond to whistle/hand signals. Found I could stay up on high ground and have the dog work thick stuff, flushing squirrels up trees. It's a .22 game, for me. Don't know if it's the "right" way to hunt with a dog, but we sure had fun.
Now, we hunt western cottontails in brushy washes, the same way.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I was in high school, I would hit the woods as soon as I got home. I usually shot the first one within a step or two in to the woods. I would go to that one and work it up with my pocket knife and wire cutters and most often shoot a second one before I was done working the first one. I'd wait to shoot the 3rd one until I got to the second. I guess that was still hunting. I killed many a limit of 6 hunting this way. Years later, I figured I'd practice for small bore pistol silhouette by shooting some squirrels. I'd sit in my tree stand and have a blast picking them off. This past season I took my son, who doesn't know how to sneak thru the woods yet, and sat in a buddy stand. He had a fun time shooting them and saw a lot more action from about. This brought back some good memories for me, some not too long ago, thanks, R.D.

For HIS service,

R.D.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I guess the way you hunt squirrels depends on where you live.Here in Ohio in the early part of the season I prefer to stalk slowly and listen for squirrel noises (vocalizations or nut hulls hitting the ground).Later in the season when leaves are coming off trees I prefer to sit in an area with mast bearing trees or corn and wait for them.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You guys stalking know you are moving past them if you don't pick up a stick and throw it somewhere to the other side to make the critter move around so you can find them. Try it if you arn't already. When hunting with a buddy only one moves at a time and the still guy gets the shot.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I love to still hunt very early in the morning with a 22. We hunt Tassel Ears mostly and some Chickarees. Tassel Ears are by far my favorite. I have several very accurate bolt action 22s. Fooling one with a cow elk call is also great fun.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
don't know if i got ADD but i CAN NOT SIT STILL for more than 30mins. so i still hunt. mostly with my 17hmr or if i'm havin a mixed bag day 20ga ithaca. i found a honeyhole this year in the local state forest. best part is you gotta walk about up a steep incline for about a mile and a half so not many folks go up there, then it's all oak and hickory with a few streams tricklin down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always favored the morning hunt for Squrrels. The areas around North Florida that I have found the most productive are hardwood hammocks out in a swamp.
I usually take an old 5 gallon pickle bucket. It stores all my gear, and I can sit on the lid. The bucket is spray painted with various earthtone colors, greys, browns and greens.
At first light, I will be sitting up under an oak, glassing the tree branches. After shooting, I mark the fall of the Squirrel, and let things settle down. Usually I can score two or three times before the rest dissappear.
After collecting the tree rats, I will still hunt for a bit, slowly walking through the hammock. Most of the time, I can find one or two more.
When back at the truck, I field dress, and skin the Squirrels, and pack them on ice in a cooler.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm amazed at how few people put their dressed squirrels on ice on warm weather hunts. It will help the table fare noticably.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't hunted squirrel since I moved to Alaska 36 years ago, One of the things I miss about Ohio. I used to float the rivers and larger creeks and did quite well, somtimes did a combo on squirrel and ducks. Wouldn't mind doing it again someday.

Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a nice way to hunt, especially when it's warm. One of the best days out I've ever had for any game was taking my 12 year old son on a large lake in the Mark Twain National Forest in September for a combo squirrel and bass fishing trip. The leaves were turning, the morning crisp, squirrels were bouncing around the edges of the lake in the timber cutting hickory and acorns. We paddled along and dropped a fine "mess" of squirrels, me steering and providing propulsion, he handling his little .20 gauge single shot. After we had enough we stopped and cleaned them, putting them on ice in a cooler. After washing up and little lunch and we picked up the rods and caught a limit of smallish bass for the pan. We even took a little nap along a gravel beach in the early afternoon and were wakened by some turkeys scratching and calking along the hillside above us. We saw wood ducks, deer, beavers, an eagle, song birds, and in general had a blast! I think I'll try that again this year, it's been awhile...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
MOCG,
I think you found paradise on earth!

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a nice place and quite a day smile

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Still hunting hardwood ridges with my favorite bolt action .22lr......................547.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 56 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.