B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
My favorite shooting position on a hill shooting down hill, you are sliding downhill cause you are sitting in grass. Or shooting uphill and the best rest you can find also involves another rock jammed into ribs.. those are my favorite..

You left out the freaking sticker in your ribs and the cheat grass in your socks.. but yeah, btdt..

Man you forgot cactus, Pine needles poking you in the face, slipping and sliding on ferns, tripping over deadfall Doug fir shooting position.. lol

Any chance you could stop?

If you have a beef with BSA, I don’t see the need to air it here. If you think practicing shooting from field positions is a bad idea, why not make a case for that with something other than nasty sarcasm. State your case.

I do practice some field shooting when I can (and get my sons to do so as well), because It’s different in term of what you can hit and how confidently at a given distance. In the USMC, we did standing offhand, kneeling offhand, sitting, and prone---over and over and over again. My barely-teen son was shooting under a MOA from the bench, and I had him shoot offhand, and he realized his limitations and range doing that. This was good, because he shot a buck at 65 yards last fall and waited to shoot until it was that close.

[Linked Image]

What is your point? Why the sarcasm? Not apparent to me.

That's awesome to see someone teaching their kids right. Good on you man. If you have jackrabbits in your area, you could go out together and get in some dang good practice in the off season. Most shots are going to be offhand and sometimes even running shots. The more practice under their belt, the better. That picture of your son and the pistol on his belt, reminds me of myself when I was a kid. Grew up in Nevada and hunted dang near every day after school. Had miles and miles of desert to roam around in. Don't mind 79s, he's like a burr in the side, or a hemorrhoid, but you get used to him after a while... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
My favorite shooting position on a hill shooting down hill, you are sliding downhill cause you are sitting in grass. Or shooting uphill and the best rest you can find also involves another rock jammed into ribs.. those are my favorite..

You left out the freaking sticker in your ribs and the cheat grass in your socks.. but yeah, btdt..

Man you forgot cactus, Pine needles poking you in the face, slipping and sliding on ferns, tripping over deadfall Doug fir shooting position.. lol

Any chance you could stop?

If you have a beef with BSA, I don’t see the need to air it here. If you think practicing shooting from field positions is a bad idea, why not make a case for that with something other than nasty sarcasm. State your case.

I do practice some field shooting when I can (and get my sons to do so as well), because It’s different in term of what you can hit and how confidently at a given distance. In the USMC, we did standing offhand, kneeling offhand, sitting, and prone---over and over and over again. My barely-teen son was shooting under a MOA from the bench, and I had him shoot offhand, and he realized his limitations and range doing that. This was good, because he shot a buck at 65 yards last fall and waited to shoot until it was that close.

[Linked Image]

What is your point? Why the sarcasm? Not apparent to me.

That's awesome to see someone teaching their kids right. Good on you man. If you have jackrabbits in your area, you could go out together and get in some dang good practice in the off season. Most shots are going to be offhand and sometimes even running shots. The more practice under their belt, the better. That picture of your son and the pistol on his belt, reminds me of myself when I was a kid. Grew up in Nevada and hunted dang near every day after school. Had miles and miles of desert to roam around in. Don't mind 79s, he's like a burr in the side, or a hemorrhoid, but you get used to him after a while... whistle

Ouch that hurts, no Christmas card for you lol.. back home in Oregon we used to jump shoot jack rabbits, with our hunting rifles.. great shooting drills those jack rabbits

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, JOC got his start jump shooting jack rabbits. He wrote about that in some of his stories..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've always gone with this best tool I can find. I have shot jackrabbits, but only with #4 shot 12 gauge. I see how shooting a single projectile at them would be good training, but at the time, I was just trying to kill a 'wabbit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good stuff MarineHawk. One thing I do like is good shooting rifles and nice country. You got both, so you are very blessed. You are teaching your kid right too, so it's all good in my book man.. Happy hunting!!

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, Thanks MarineHawk, the old basher is about 260 rounds into it's second barrel, it has plenty of fire left in the stove, if I ever decide to sell it, I'll give you first shot, for me, the 300 gr AB's will cover anything nicely I'd ever hunt that rifle with, keeping in mind, running a 300 gr AB into a tough critter like elk or moose, maybe even a little below 1800 should still initiate enough expansion, I'll save my share of the LRAB's for the sure nuff long range hunting guys, I just play around anymore.

Did you happen to notice that nice grey, black and blue 'bruise pattern' paint job on the stock? Darren75 from right here at the 'fire painted that for me, it somehow fits the rifle perfectly. grin

Yeah, I really like the look of that stock.

Mine’s much more pedestrian.

[Linked Image]

And an oral conversation added to the eccentricity of its appearance. I ordered a base and rings from Near Manufacturing in Canada over the phone nine years ago. At the end of the conversation, he said something like: “Blue okay”? I said: “Yes.” I thought he said “Blued”—like meaning black in color. I’m generally a function-over-form guy and didn’t want to send the rings back. So, I accepted that I have a hunting rifle that even some New Orleans pimps might blush at carrying. Such is life.

My .375 Wby DGR is more respectable:

[Linked Image]

Nice setups, the 375 amongst the bear tracks looks particularly at home. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just had a thought MarineHawk, doesn't Barnes make some sort of longer range TTSX's? I haven't looked into them, truth be told your 340 or the 338 Win Mag will easily reach and handily kill all game worldwide from 5 to 400+ yards as is, that's still a mighty long poke out on your belly and elbows looking at a big game animal.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

Gunner, the TTSXs are what they are. Nosler makes normal and Long Range Accubond bullets, but Barnes doesn’t. Barnes makes an LRX, but they don’t seem to compare to the Noslers, and no one loads them in my cartridge

Nosler loads 225gr AB in the .340, but they are about 200 fps slower than the Corbon 225g TTSX loads. It is interesting that the 225gr .338 TTSX bullet is the only TTSX bullet that exceeds .0500 BC of all calibers.

I shot the DPMS .308 today (while cooling my 14-yr-old son’s rifle while he was practicing offhand and from a shooting stick). It shoots better with the 168gr ABLR loads than I would have expected when I bought it.

[Linked Image]

For an out-of-the-box $1,300 .308 AR, I am fairly happy.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, the LRX's were what I was trying to remember, nice shooting with that AR-10 too, bet those LRAB's will do a fine job on deer and the like.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gunner. The LRAB already took the deer pictured above.

Today, I went back to the range with my buddy, who is going elk hunting with me. He has a S&W 1500-actioned rifle in 7mm RM. I shot the .340 Wby again to make sure it was on. Unfortunately, it shot worse:

[Linked Image]

I don't have pics, but my friend, a recently-retired sailor, put some 140gr ABs in one hole. I was hoping to show him up--Marine vs USN, but he matched me. I think we're ready to go on the shooting side, we just need to get close to a bull. We have been working on ways to hope to do that.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're going to have to get rid of that pile of junk, guess i'll have to sell you my old 338 barnburner. grin Good shooting, you guys are ready, hope you get into some elk, I'll be going after cow Jan '19, will be using an old 336 Marlin in 35 Remington stoked with 220 gr Speers at 2175 fps, shots there will be 200 yards max.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good luck on your hunt gunner.

My fall hunting already is a success, as my 14-yr-old son got his second deer, and my 11-yr-old son got his first 40 minutes later last Saturday morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More details here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...th-deer-hunting-in-virginia#Post13173840

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks MH, and keep kicking ass with those boys, they're lucky to have a Pop like you, fine job Sir! smile

Trump Won!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 270wsmnutt, 60 invisible), 5,107 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,818
Posts18,536,826
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.