-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is a piece written in the latest African Hunting Gazette Jul/Aug/Sept 2018 by the Editor in Chief, Richard Lendrum , and thought immediately about the countless discussions that we have had here on AH, and also on other forums. For this reason, I wish to share this article here, and only hope that I give credit in the correct way.

It was a crisp autumn morning. I was overlooking the river, having coffee, when the Facebook message stunned me....

Not six weeks previously I had spent a night in the Makuya Game Reserve, a community-owned reserve bordering the Kruger National Park, and arguably one of the finest truly big-game areas in South Africa. Claude Kleynhans, PH & owner of Guwela Safaris had a 10-year concession in the reserve, and had invited me to see this incredible area. Years back Claude and I had met through his best firend Natie Oelofse, with whom we published The Practical Shot.
Natie (who had touched many lives) had entered a battle with cancer which, after giving it a really good go, he would eventually lose. Claude and I became great friends over that extremely sad time. Catching up with Claude this past January at Dallas Safari Club after so many years, was just fantastic.
It was ironic that the name of Claude's safari business was Guwela Safaris, meaning "an old buffalo" , a Shangaan word from the tribe native to that area of the Northern Kruger. Because, being Africa's most iconic hunting trophy, it was the animal that would ultimately take Claude's life.
Claude had safely guided his last buffalohunt. With his loyal and right-hand tracker Simon, he was cutting a path to retrieve the felled when, out of nowhere, Africa's bushveld debt collector came calling -unnoticed, on a mission, and for no reason that we will ever know. In seconds this gentleman of the African professional hunting industry was gone.
A deep love and understanding of nature, decades of hunting experience across the continent, having every skill - it all counts for nothing when its your time. And so it was for Claude. Doing what he loved in the area he had told me was the finest bit of bushveld (next to Tanzania) that he had ever hunted. He had found the lady and soulmate of his dreams - Merissa - and had started a long business relationship with the people he loved, headedby Esther Netshivhongweni for whom he had the utmost respect.
But so soon? Those left behind feel it the most, and that beast of the bushveld could have at least waited a few more years - but we are not here to try and understand.
This prompted in me some questions: If there is anything you can do in your own way - whether you are a hunter who loves Africa with many friends and connections, ( perhaps some with considerable influence), or an outfitter with a dozen, or hundreds of clients
-just think
Just think: If someone is prepared to die for their profession
- Why the questioning of what's ethical or not, when really, ethics are personal, and all that should count is obeying the law?
-Why run a fellow PH or outfit down because he is from a different country, nationality, or area. If he is legal and he is in the same industry, trying to make a living doing something he loves, that must count for something.
- Why fight over what is free range, game fenced, managed or cattle-fenced, when the animal is ultimately the same species?
- Why fight over how heavy,long, old or inch size - when it should be your individual experience of the African hunt that matters.
-Why squabble over all this? Unnecessary infighting, when there is a much greater battle to embark on.The future of our industry is at stake and we need to work together.
Dangerous game is called this for a very good reason. So whether you hunt Africa for the sheer magic of this land, or you hunt Africa to share the magic of this land - be careful.

This issue is for Claude.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When I first read about this accident, I couldn't quite place the name....

After a bit it came to me I had a very pleasant conversation in South Africa with Claude in an airport about fishing while he waited for delayed clients and me for a ride. I wrote his name and safari company down in a journal thinking he be a good guy to hunt with someday. Shame.

Thanks for posting; stay safe out there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Claude and I hunted together in 2003. He will be missed.
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
RIP Claude.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew Claude well and loaned him my Jeep Cherokee when he was in Reno for SCI. I booked several clients with him when he and Jill, his X-wife, ran Mafigeni Safaris in SA. Claude was absolutely 1st Class in every respect.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have always wanted to go to Africa , and I hope some day I do go yet ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pete,
You can do it. It doesn't cost a fortune. You will make a deposit a year to year and a half ahead of time and have that year to save for the rest.My wife paid for our first safari (with Claude when he was at Mafigeni) by brown bagging it and not shopping for a year.
Make a plan and do it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.