Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
Slumlord.....I wanted to get some wound channel pictures but the yellow jackets were so bad this year that I didn’t mess around once it was on the ground. I got one picture in the field then got down to business. We had to go to town after we set up camp the day before season to buy bee traps. We hung five bee traps that filled up on the second day. It made eating miserable, especially for our little ones. The good news is there was still a bit of meat on the bones when we got home.

Understand

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Uh...Uh... uhmm... I meant the starting weight for the powder charge!!! blush

laugh LOL! Thanks!
No you didn't.

Nobody asks what the starting weight was when asking what the load was.

Mistakes are made, overlooking information can happen, but by scrambling for a lame comeback, you made yourself look like a moron. Next time take your lumps. We all make mistakes once in a while.
Really? You caught that? Darn! Foiled again!!!!!! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like 4350 is the go-to powder for the 6.5CM.
Do they run very well on 4895?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like 4350 is the go-to powder for the 6.5CM.
Do they run very well on 4895?

For which bullet weight? laugh

Be specific now.

😩

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I'm sure it's a good deer cartridge and thanks for posting.

But the .270 Winchester has been doing that with 130 grain bullets for the last 92 years.

I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns, at least as far as advancements in cartridges are concerned.

It looks like if a bull elk were broadside and hit between the ribs at the area of the lungs it would probably end up killing it- sometime.

Small hole in, no hole out. Hummm.

Through a shoulder it might get one lung. Hummm.

Raking shot forward. Hummm.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

But the .270 Winchester has been doing that with 130 grain bullets for the last 92 years.

I think we've reached the point of diminishing returns, at least as far as advancements in cartridges are concerned.

Except for the part where the .270 slings a 130gr bullet at 3200, and leaves an exit.

Thiss^^^, i like.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Glad to see another thread about the 25/06. Here's mine.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
What was the starting weight?

😄
Try this link

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...anger-performance-on-deer-results#UNREAD

laugh LOL! Thanks!

No you didn't.

Mistakes are made, overlooking information can happen, but by scrambling for a lame comeback, you made yourself look like a moron. Next time take your lumps. We all make mistakes once in a while.

The word STARTING was kinda a key indicator as to what Tyrone was looking for. I fully understood he was looking for starting charge weight! Just because your slow on the uptake and a bit overboard with false presumption doesn't somehow turn your false claim into reality.

We all have to learn or be humbled at times and this is your opportunity to grow

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/05/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

And the 6.5 swede had killed thousands of moose years before the 270 was introduced as a "Deer" cartridge! 😁

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, AB2506 is cool. I really was having a senior moment & tried to be funny about it. I guess he missed the smilies.

Anyway, thanks for the load info. That IS interesting.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
Slumlord.....I wanted to get some wound channel pictures but the yellow jackets were so bad this year that I didn’t mess around once it was on the ground. I got one picture in the field then got down to business. We had to go to town after we set up camp the day before season to buy bee traps. We hung five bee traps that filled up on the second day. It made eating miserable, especially for our little ones. The good news is there was still a bit of meat on the bones when we got home.

Those Yellow jackets are a royal PIA around dead critters this time of year. I can't wait for a hard cold snap to send them all back to hell.

Thanks for the post.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm going to roll with 129gr Hornady this year in the Creedmoor. A 100 yard shot is a long one for me where I hunt.

I'm still curious what some of these bullets (130gr Game Changer, 147gr ELD-M etc) will when taken out the running gear at 50yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm going to roll with 129gr Hornady this year in the Creedmoor. A 100 yard shot is a long one for me where I hunt.

I'm still curious what some of these bullets (130gr Game Changer, 147gr ELD-M etc) will when taken out the running gear at 50yards.

My guess is they would be an ugly mess. Nearly 80% weight retention in this case but that was at 2250fps and 350 yards. I definitely would shy away from intentionally hitting anything of substance at any distance with this bullet.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by slumlord
What was the starting weight?

😄
Try this link

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...anger-performance-on-deer-results#UNREAD

laugh LOL! Thanks!

No you didn't.

The word STARTING was kinda a key indicator as to what Tyrone was looking for. I fully understood he was looking for starting charge weight! Just because your slow on the uptake and a bit overboard with false presumption doesn't somehow turn your false claim into reality.

We all have to learn or be humbled at times and this is your opportunity to grow

Trystan

This thread is about a new bullet. The weight was posted in the title. When someone asks about the starting weight, they obviously missed the weight. Tyrone has shown a lot of grace.

No one asks about the starting weight and means the powder load when the conversation was not about the powder.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Except for the part where the .270 slings a 130gr bullet at 3200, and leaves an exit.

Or put Weatherby behind its caliber and push 130 gr tts at 3450.

The performance of the 270, 270 Weatherby or even the 270WSM is not in question. All are outstanding cartridges.

The 6.5 Creedmoor can be placed in a shorter lighter rifle, everything else being equal, yet get similar performance inside 500 yards (strictly comparing 270Win and the Creed). Less recoil allows more shooting before a person tires and shooting is affected. Seems that factory ammo and reloads that shoot well are easy to find. Case design and the slipperiness of the 6.5 bullets allow this to happen, in fact, after 500, the 6.5 begins to pass the 270Win. Means nothing to me, 500 is probably 100 more than most should shoot, especially guys like me who use a standard duplex and no dial ups. Give me a laser rangefinder and my standard sight in, I'll have my chart memorized. Easy peasy. Wind drift is the hard to predict factor.

Couple of years ago, I sold a couple of rifles and had some cash in hand. I considered a 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, 7-08,308. As I have a 300WSM, that lessened the need for a 308. Ran my charts, graphs. Even though the Creed is slow, it catches the 25-06 beyond 400 yards. I chose the Creed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'll try the Barnes 127LRX for my do everything big game load. I have a lot of RL17, I'll give it a try. It looks promising.

Last edited by AB2506; 10/05/18.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

I'll try the Barnes 127LRX for my do everything big game load. I have a lot of RL17, I'll give it a try. It looks promising.

Hopefully you have better luck with the 127LRX and RL17 than I did. I actually burned through a box of those and lots of RL 17 trying to get a good hunting load and finally gave up. Now that my deer season is over I plan to start over with the 127LRX but this time try H4350. I’ve never had an issue getting a Barnes to shoot but I can’t for the life of me get either of my Creedmoors to like the LRX.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What twist do you have? Mine is 1-8.

Last edited by AB2506; 10/05/18.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What twist do you have? Mine is 1-8.

Both of mine are 8 twist. Weatherby weatherguard and a Ruger 77 Predator.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Or put Weatherby behind its caliber and push 130 gr tts at 3450.

The performance of the 270, 270 Weatherby or even the 270WSM is not in question. All are outstanding cartridges.

The 6.5 Creedmoor can be placed in a shorter lighter rifle, everything else being equal, yet get similar performance inside 500 yards (strictly comparing 270Win and the Creed). Less recoil allows more shooting before a person tires and shooting is affected. Seems that factory ammo and reloads that shoot well are easy to find. Case design and the slipperiness of the 6.5 bullets allow this to happen, in fact, after 500, the 6.5 begins to pass the 270Win. Means nothing to me, 500 is probably 100 more than most should shoot, especially guys like me who use a standard duplex and no dial ups. Give me a laser rangefinder and my standard sight in, I'll have my chart memorized. Easy peasy. Wind drift is the hard to predict factor.

Couple of years ago, I sold a couple of rifles and had some cash in hand. I considered a 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06, 7-08,308. As I have a 300WSM, that lessened the need for a 308. Ran my charts, graphs. Even though the Creed is slow, it catches the 25-06 beyond 400 yards. I chose the Creed.

I never had to shoot an elk or moose more than once with my 270 Wby so i didnt get tired of shooting them. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.