Hop To
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Who has one? Tell me about it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I do. Two barrel set. Very accurate, well made and ultra high quality wood. Are you considering buying one?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil Shoemaker took one in .30/06 to Bumfuggistan and killed Sheepzilla with it. I like them, from afar anyway. Also like the little kipplaufs from Merkel & Friends.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm considering one but, I'm hesitant on laying out the money until examining one in the flesh. I think I'd like one but, I thought the same thing about a Ruger No.1 RSI until I got one.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I do. Two barrel set. Very accurate, well made and ultra high quality wood. Are you considering buying one?

How hard is the takedown? Does it hold zero after reassembly?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are not particularly quick to takedown. You have to unscrew the forend and use your fingers to press out the cross pin, but it is not difficult either.
I have used a few of them and everyone was amazingly accurate. They are short, lightweight , nice looking and make traveling a pleasure when broken down.
I kind of appreciated the aesthetics of the outside hammer but it catch on items and you don't want to pull the trigger when you are holding the receiver with your off hand !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for weighing in. That business with the hammer never occurred to me. Ouch!

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

How hard is the takedown? Does it hold zero after reassembly?

Pappy, the takedown is much like a T/C Encore. Tap a pin out and lift the barrel away. I've not heard of anyone having issues with scopes holding zero after a barrel change but I have personally not done it. The scope holds zero fine after being disassembly and reassembly of the same barrel.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 10/09/18.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Joe
Who has one? Tell me about it.

I do also!

[Linked Image]

Just one man's opinion, but here goes.

Joe, here is something I wrote on another forum a while back shortly after I purchased the Luxus. Should you choose to view, scroll down as I include a second and third comment .

At that time they were all the rage at AR. It also includes info on a Merkel K1.

Perhaps you can glean something from it.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/9511003191?r=9581064191#9581064191

IIRC I saw one for $1,450 listed on one of the sites, either Guns International, Guns America or maybe even gunbroker! If it is a 11 LT or 11 FQ that would be a fair deal.

BTW,

There are at least three models, The FQ, the LT and the S. The S is the cheapest. IIRC the FX had a cast lever. Different iterations have color case hardening!

MY box has the correct serial number, and it is marked FQ but IMHO mine is the LT. I traded a Merkel K1 in 300 Win Mag that I had $2,350 all in for it sans rings. IIRC Talley Fixed Rings fit the rib.

Mine was finicky when it came to finding bullets and accurate load combinations. It was my first straight 280 and so I did not have go to loads.

Accuracy first shot out of a cold barrel and the next couple shots would be fine, but then I'd would get a flyer.

[Linked Image]

That does not particulary bother me as once I've developed a load, first shot out of a cold barrel is much more important.

I typically shoot a 140 gr. Accubond out of most 7mm rifles I own, typically Accubonds.

This rifle liked the 150 gr. Sierra Spitzers best!

[Linked Image]

I can live with that

[Linked Image]

BTW, The spring on the side cock hammer is rather stout and serrated. Do not try to cock the trigger with the fleshy part between your thumb and index finger. Rather wear a glove or use the flat part of the heel of your palm,
or the crease of you palm just under your little finger.

As a Coda. Don't know what price you are looking to pay, but if you can find a Ruger #1 with good wood, you can probably pick one of those up for about a grand, or a Merkel K1 or K3 half stock at a comparable price, If I had to do it again, that's what I would do.

If for no other reason that the market for Luxus 11's is pretty slim. I always like to have an exit strategy!

You might check with Luxus and see whats up in regards to the company.

One more thought. One could always purchase a T/C Encore, have a trigger job done and purchase an custom wood butt stock and fore-end, and have enough cash left over to purchase decent glass!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/09/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Geedubya pretty well nailed it. A good assessment, indeed.

Many single shot rifles will show a tendency to walk shots around when the barrel warms up. I have serial # 7, which I gave to my son upon his return from Afghanistan. I then bought the F model with exhibition wood and case hardened receiver. I'll post a photo of it as I have it at a gun shop on consignment. I will likely bring it home as there has been little interest so far.
I love the rifle but its not the best for left handed shooters, due to the cocking lever.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No skin in this either way, yet, but one point in favor of the Luxus is the ease and economy of mounting a scope. Love the little Merkels, but the dang rings are $500! Good argument for going used.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You're right Pappy. Talley rings are a bit less expensive than Merkel or Blaser, for that matter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Amos63, 16 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.