-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Colorado it's a minimum of 24 Caliber.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The use of 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.62mm, etc., on elk means a great deal less today as bullet technology has advanced the capabilities of all cartridges greatly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DropShot
I have my ideas but would like to hear yours.
I have seen fights start over this question in hunting camps but I feel the animal deserves a quick death.
Thanks for your replies

I've killed elk with 243's to a 35 Whelen. I've witnessed elk killed with 243's to 458's. It's all in the bullet. A stout bullet like the Partition or the monos, and a few thick jacket bonded bullets are the trick--moderate expansion and deep penetration. The heaviest elk I ever killed, weighing in probably 750 lbs, was going dead away from me at 300 yds, I missed the bung hole and hit him in the ball and socket--the heaviest bone on an elk--and I found him about 50 yds away with the bullet stopped next to the sternum. A 270 with a 150gr Partition.

While most hunters today are convinced we have to sit on the hillside and glass with our high dollar optics, and all our long range stuff, by the first day or two of first rifle season most elk on public land have gone to ground and are holed up in "refuges"--thick timber, often on steep hillsides or canyons. Worked on a elk study near Meeker in 2000, and the telemetry collared elk we used had been collared for a previous study. That previous study tracked elk movements with emphasis on where they moved during archery through the last regular rifle season. They mostly ended up on private land or the hellhole breaks feeding into the Colorado River/I-70 corridor. Going after elk once they have gone to ground is up close and personal kind of hunting, and something besides the dedicated and increasingly popular idea of a "long range" rifle, like a general purpose rifle that can be handled quickly in the timber ( and the practice and mental preparation that needs to accompany that idea) and still be able to reach out 400 yds or so seems to be a better bet in the 55 years since I started following my dad elk hunting.

I've killed 6 elk with a 243 and 100gr Partition, none of them more than 75 yds away. One traveled 50 yds and I had to shoot him a second time, all others were dead within seconds and pretty much died within sight. My son has killed 5 elk with a 243 and Partiions from 100 yds to 375 yds. It's all in the bullet.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When I hunted the Vermajo in the late 80's, you could hunt with anything you wanted. However, if the elk you shot (at) ran off not to be recovered and you were using anything less than a 300 mag of some sort, that was your elk. However, if you were using a 300 mag or bigger, you got to keep hunting.
Phil

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd be happiest starting with a .270 or 7mm-08. (I'd really rather shoot a .338 with 225s, but either of those with 150s is a solid start.)

I'm dead certain of killing elk with smaller cartridges but the time constraints of a short season might mean having to pass on the only shots presented in the legal time window.

If time was not a constraint, I'd be very happy with my .257 Roberts, and with truly no time constraints I'm sure I could arrange a reliable clean kill with a .223.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of variables in determining a "Minimum Elk Cartridge." A well placed .22 LR bullet will kill an elk, but I would not consider it a suitable elk cartridge. Every hunter should know his/her own abilities as a hunter and shooter, and stay within his/her own limitations. The closest distance that I have killed an elk was many years ago when I shot a bull at 10 yards with a single arrow from my Herter's recurve bow on a DIY public land hunt. I believe I could have easily killed that bull with just about any centerfire rifle cartridge, or many centerfire pistol cartridges.

I have heard people say that you need a .375 H&H magnum to kill an elk. I know of one elk that was killed with a .22 LR. The answer for most hunters is somewhere in between those two cartridges. When I lived in Colorado I had a friend whose wife killed her elk every year with her .243 Win.

The smallest cartridge that I have used to kill an elk with was my .257 Ackley. It was a one shot DRT kill with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet on a 330" net 6x6 bull.

I killed most of my elk with my .30 Gibbs shooting 180 grain Partitions. My favorite elk cartridge now is my .300 Weatherby shooting 168 or 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets.

One prominent poster on this Forum that I know has killed a pile of elk with his .220 Swift.

One of my friends kills his bull almost every year with his .22-250. Here's the bull he shot last year with his .22-250
[Linked Image]

Last edited by buffybr; 10/08/18.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Of the six elk I shot with a 243, one of them was a broadside shot, everything else was angling. Last year my son and his 243 shot his elk heavily quartering away at around 100 yds, and the bullet hit way back, skinning the front of the rear quarter, and lodging in the point of the off shoulder.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A friend I haven't seen in 15 years had 13 sets of elk horns on his den wall when I moved away. They were all taken with a .243, in all kinds of conditions, at ranges up to 400 yards.

The only one he lost was due to a shot he told himself he would never take - poor visibility in rain, the elk moving slowly in heavy forest. But the bull so so close he decided he couldn't miss. The bull ran at the shot and he lost sight of it. Rain washed away any sign of blood, and with growing darkness he couldn't track it. Going back the next day, he couldn't find a sign of it.

It was a poor decision for anyone with any caliber rifle.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
(I'd really rather shoot a .338 with 225s, but either of those with 150s is a solid start.)Tom
I would agree. Over the years I have used 338 Win Mag (250 gr), 444 Marlin (280 gr) and 308 Win (165 gr.). The elk hit with the 338 Win Mag and 444 Marlin showed an extreme reaction of numbed and flattened whereas the 308 Win, while effective was not as impressive. But you come to expect that when using a fast medium bore or large bore cartridge. On elk I somewhat associate the use of folks wanting a small bore cartridge vs. a larger bore cartridge to a fisherman utilizing 6 lbs test line for a 30 lbs fish rather than a 25 lbs test line for the 30 lbs fish. They both work, however statistically one has more probability for success than the other when stressed under field conditions and use.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I've taken elk with every thing from a .338 mag down to the 6.5. They all worked. It's about a "TOUGH DEEP PENETRATING BULLET PROPERLY PLACED."... My bullet of choice has been the Barnes TSX. Never failed me. Any of the copper mono's , with any reasonable cal.. My hunting buddy & his son use the 270 with the Barnes 130gr TSX. Complete pass thru.

Last edited by Hesp; 10/08/18.
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by czech1022
A friend I haven't seen in 15 years had 13 sets of elk horns on his den wall when I moved away. They were all taken with a .243, in all kinds of conditions, at ranges up to 400 yards.

The only one he lost was due to a shot he told himself he would never take - poor visibility in rain, the elk moving slowly in heavy forest. But the bull so so close he decided he couldn't miss. The bull ran at the shot and he lost sight of it. Rain washed away any sign of blood, and with growing darkness he couldn't track it. Going back the next day, he couldn't find a sign of it.

It was a poor decision for anyone with any caliber rifle.

The million dollar question is whether a bigger diameter would have made the difference in recovering the elk?

I have seen/taken elk with 243 to 375. My preference is 338 with 200-210gr bullets, but I would not hesitate to use my 22-250 with 53gr TSX on elk.

My 80 yr old Dad took an elk last week with his well worn Remington 760 in 270 with 150gr Nosler Partitions. A good friend will be using his 300 WSM with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips on his elk starting the 15th.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
6.5x55 with a 140 Partition or Accubond. Possibly a 130 TSX.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm-08 puts elk in the freezer for me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho allows you to use ANY centerfire on ANY big game. You can use a 22 Hornet if you want to. That's not saying you should, just that it's legal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wonder what Elmer Keith might say regarding bullet weight?
Phil

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hope a 7x57 Mauser with a 150 Partition qualifies cause that is what my wife will be toting in 2 weeks in New Mexico.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flip the question.

Let the OP figure it out for himself.

What's the biggest elk cartridge you can use well?

Consider the recoil/rifle weight equation, and be brutally honest with yourself.

Use a good bullet that matches the favored cartridge.

Don't cheat yourself or the elk by just getting by, have too much gun.
You will never say,
Damn, if I just had a little less....things would have turned out better.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TenX
Wonder what Elmer Keith might say regarding bullet weight?
Phil

There are many things I ponder related to elk hunting, but not one of them involves what Elmer Keith thinks. smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I hope a 7x57 Mauser with a 150 Partition qualifies cause that is what my wife will be toting in 2 weeks in New Mexico.

Plenty good enough.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another vote for the .243.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,637
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.