Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
While guiding a bow hunter about 15 years ago near Chama, NM, we were walking back to the truck on a two track road/trail in the dark. Elk were bugling on an adjacent ranch, so I thought I would entertain the hunter and on the off chance of drawing a bull or two off the other ranch for the morning hunt. So we are traipsing down the road through the quakies with a bit of moon out, I had just bugled when I focused on a black blob 30 yds away and moving at supersonic speed right at us. I damn near swallowed my diaphragm bugle trying to scream at the bear--which mostly came out as a strangling sound, while at the same time jumping sideways to avoid the bear. At the 10 ft mark the bear realized his mistake and veered off still moving at warp speed.

The hunter didn't realize what was happening until the bear was past us, and it took several moments for my heart to restart so I could scream cuss words at the long gone bear.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Best bear encounter while elk hunting-

I was trailing a single elk, cow calling along in thick timber in a steady rain. Figured I'd catch up to him sooner or later and was pretty sure it was a bull. Was hoping for a close shot at a jumped bull. I'd been going along for quite awhile, maybe an hour or so, when I looked ahead and saw an opening coming up in the timber, could see some green grass in a small meadow. As I crept to the edge it opened up into the meadow, which was about 50 yards across and long. I kept on the cow call to put the bull at ease if he was still around.

I poked my head out and looked left, then right, slowly scanning into the edges of the dark timber for the shape or color of a bull. When my eyes went to the far right end of the meadow, I saw a big jet black bear staring at me. His front feet were up on a log and I had his full undivided attention! Since I had a bear tag I let him have one from the Savage 99 in 375 Winchester. He dropped like a rock and barely twitched.

I gave him a minute to make sure he was done and to calm my nerves. I'd started to shake realizing he had heard me coming and had been waiting for me and he was a big bear! I walked out in the meadow and made it to the right hand end when I noticed a bunch of tore up grass like a bull might do with his antlers. As I was pondering the scene I noticed a black leg sticking out of the freshly torn up grass. Holy crap, there's the elk!

When I pulled the grass away, I found a 5 point bull half eaten and the remainder buried. It became obvious the bull had been killed by the bear and he was sleeping off his feast when I came along. Looking the bear over, he had a couple holes in his hide on the face and neck where the bull had got him in the fight that cost the elk his life.

I can imagine the battle. That big ol' bear probably broke that bulls neck. He was stuffed full of elk meat. I went back a week later with a friend and the elk and all remains of the bear were gone. Another bear had finished what the first one started.

A black bear killed a mature bull?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Back in 88 I shot a 4x5 bull in the exact same place I shot one the year before.
It was up a hill so I left my rifle and backpack and just took my knife to gut it but when I got there a young grizz jumped from behind a brush rock and started mauling MY elk!
He pissed on it and started down the hill towards me and stopped about 6 to 8 feet from me and growled,I could smell his breath so I backed down the hill and left.
I went to the ranger check station and they said they knew the bear and had relocated him a year ago but he came back.
I guess he was tired of gut piles and wanted the whole elk this time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Best bear encounter while elk hunting-

I was trailing a single elk, cow calling along in thick timber in a steady rain. Figured I'd catch up to him sooner or later and was pretty sure it was a bull. Was hoping for a close shot at a jumped bull. I'd been going along for quite awhile, maybe an hour or so, when I looked ahead and saw an opening coming up in the timber, could see some green grass in a small meadow. As I crept to the edge it opened up into the meadow, which was about 50 yards across and long. I kept on the cow call to put the bull at ease if he was still around.

I poked my head out and looked left, then right, slowly scanning into the edges of the dark timber for the shape or color of a bull. When my eyes went to the far right end of the meadow, I saw a big jet black bear staring at me. His front feet were up on a log and I had his full undivided attention! Since I had a bear tag I let him have one from the Savage 99 in 375 Winchester. He dropped like a rock and barely twitched.

I gave him a minute to make sure he was done and to calm my nerves. I'd started to shake realizing he had heard me coming and had been waiting for me and he was a big bear! I walked out in the meadow and made it to the right hand end when I noticed a bunch of tore up grass like a bull might do with his antlers. As I was pondering the scene I noticed a black leg sticking out of the freshly torn up grass. Holy crap, there's the elk!

When I pulled the grass away, I found a 5 point bull half eaten and the remainder buried. It became obvious the bull had been killed by the bear and he was sleeping offUnless his feast when I came along. Looking the bear over, he had a couple holes in his hide on the face and neck where the bull had got him in the fight that cost the elk his life.

I can imagine the battle. That big ol' bear probably broke that bulls neck. He was stuffed full of elk meat. I went back a week later with a friend and the elk and all remains of the bear were gone. Another bear had finished what the first one started.

A black bear killed a mature bull?

All the evidence looked that way yes. The bear had holes in his hide from something, I assume he and the bull tussled and the bull lost.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pole Smoker, I know you're only trolling and don't deserve a response at all, but I just have to ask, you don't do real well with the concept of life being somewhat linear in nature, do you?

It must be all those little ping pong balls bouncing around inside your head making simple everyday thought processes a real challenge for you. I bet for you reading a tape measure is a perpetual New Years resolution. Groundhogs Day with the Stanley every January! By February it's back to sucking your porridge thru a straw and having your caregiver wipe the drool off your chin. Are you still watching adult diaper futures to monitor your retirement accounts?

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, is that all you've got, firball? Wait a minute, let me go get my wife to respond.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (338rcm, 1minute, 222Sako, 338reddog, 264magnum, 64 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.