Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hello, we are looking to put together a float hunt for Caribou in 2019. We are considering putting in South of Cold Foot and then floating until we're at least 5 miles away from the Dalton Highway. Does anyone here have experience with this type of trip?

My specific questions are:
1. Is this good caribou country?
2. When would be the best time to go?
3. What's the state of the river like in July/August/September there?
4. Would we be able to paddle back up stream to the Dalton or do we have to continue downstream to someplace like Bettles and arrange return transportation from there?
5. How "busy" with other hunters is this neck of the woods during hunting season?
6. Would we be better off starting further up the river and archery hunting than we would floating until we're 5 miles out and rifle hunting?
7. Are there any other areas that anyone would recommend for a DIY Caribou Float Trip that don't involve a bush plane?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by holytoledo; 10/03/18. Reason: Added another question
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is boo there....after snowfall in November...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by atvalaska
There is boo there....after snowfall in November...

Ah, OK. I don't think that's gonna work for us. smile

The rest of my party is only interested in float hunts with a total cost of less than 4K door-to-door. It's gonna be pretty challenging to put this together. When all was said and done we dropped around $7500 a piece on our 2017 hunt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of the float hunters were moose hunters. Some floated TO Bettles, some floated FROM Bettles. Best moose were killed in the refuge. Two 70" moose came through from the refuge. Caribou are on the north slope until later in the season. It's gonna take a bush plane.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you paddle back upstream. Take video. And remind me to address you very respectfully.

Teasing aside hope you guys can put together a great hunt. Harder and harder to do on the cheap, even for residents

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Most of the float hunters were moose hunters. Some floated TO Bettles, some floated FROM Bettles. Best moose were killed in the refuge. Two 70" moose came through from the refuge. Caribou are on the north slope until later in the season. It's gonna take a bush plane.

Thanks Dennis. We enjoyed meeting you in 2017. Are you with Brooks Range again this year?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No, I stayed home so I could go to Africa this summer. I have even better plans for next summer!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fly out of Bettles to the Killik river, float hunt down to the Colville River then on to Umiat where Wright Air service can pick you up in one of the Grand Caravans. Back in 08 we float hunted the Kurupa, down to the Colville then got picked up in Umiat. We saw lots of caribou on that trip along with some grizz, wolverines, and a few moose. This was a hunt put together by Larry Bartlett who owns Pristine Ventures, if you're looking to rent some boats he's the man with the plan.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That might just work.

After last summer (2017) I am sceered of float trips. We had heavy rains and about 50% of our parties lost their gear, boats and some lost everything but what they were wearing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That might just work.

After last summer (2017) I am sceered of float trips. We had heavy rains and about 50% of our parties lost their gear, boats and some lost everything but what they were wearing.

I have said it here repeatedly, but there are very few people I would do a float hunt with. They are usually just fine and plenty easy and safe, but a weather front coming in at the wrong time can turn them into an extremely dangerous nightmare in a couple hours. And in those situations you do not need anyone there that does not know exactly what to do when schit happens.

They can also turn into a lot more work than a simple backpack hunt. I have seen many instances where naive flatlanders have gotten themselves in truly dangerous situations.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That might just work.

I have said it here repeatedly, but there are very few people I would do a float hunt with. They are usually just fine and plenty easy and safe, but a weather front coming in at the wrong time can turn them into an extremely dangerous nightmare in a couple hours. And in those situations you do not need anyone there that does not know exactly what to do when schit happens.

They can also turn into a lot more work than a simple backpack hunt. I have seen many instances where naive flatlanders have gotten themselves in truly dangerous situations.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And you said it repeatedly...again! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff
And you said it repeatedly...again! smile

But it has been a while! And I think it bears repeating.

wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Diy float hunt starts tomorrow. 100 mile run for moose, bucks, Black bear, and wolf. Moose being primary target.

[Linked Image]gif hosting

Last edited by Calvin; 10/10/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a great plan! Right up until the moose dies in a big swamp!

wink

Good luck!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This is se ak moose hunting. We beach hunt. Haha

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You look to be set up Joel!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin
This is se ak moose hunting. We beach hunt. Haha

Then make sure you set down your MaiTai before shooting!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Well, I thought I had this thing all figured out. I saw that Tok offers float hunts that begin on the Charley and end up on the Yukon, so I figured if we could float the Yukon and pass where the Yukon and Charley intersect we'd be in 'bou country for the 40 Mile Herd. Apparently that's not the case. frown

We're trying to put together a float trip for 'bou where we can take a commercial(ish) flight into our starting point and out of our final point. I was hoping Eagle -> Circle would do the trick, but I guess it's a relatively rare phenomenon for the caribou to come in range of a hunt based off of the Yukon.

Bummed. I guess it's pretty obvious that if this type of hunt were doable, more would be doing it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by holytoledo
Well, I thought I had this thing all figured out. I saw that Tok offers float hunts that begin on the Charley and end up on the Yukon, so I figured if we could float the Yukon and pass where the Yukon and Charley intersect we'd be in 'bou country for the 40 Mile Herd. Apparently that's not the case. frown

We're trying to put together a float trip for 'bou where we can take a commercial(ish) flight into our starting point and out of our final point. I was hoping Eagle -> Circle would do the trick, but I guess it's a relatively rare phenomenon for the caribou to come in range of a hunt based off of the Yukon.

Bummed. I guess it's pretty obvious that if this type of hunt were doable, more would be doing it.

That would be the 40 Mile Herd and it's very difficult to predict where they will be or when they may
decide to change direction. But usually Eagle to Charley River mouth is not a hot spot.

I've seen raft hunters wading and dragging rafts for many miles because of low water in the Charley.

As you thought....if it were easily accessible or inexpensive, it would be crowded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 160user, 10ring1, 204guy, 45 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.