24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13196898 10/10/18
OP Offline
I was walking through the walmart sporting goods area today when I saw this, I had to take a pic of it, couldn't believe it... (pic below). When I was growing up my dad told me not to point my gun anywhere I didn't want to shoot.... This is actually a product.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep. Have seen it used a lot at the skeet range. Usually with a dbl. broke open.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Yep. Have seen it used a lot at the skeet range. Usually with a dbl. broke open.

Same here. My oldest used to shoot trap and skeet 1.5 years ago, and that is where I first saw it at.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's nothing, ol' Buck McNeeley just twirls his pump gun muzzle on the concrete! But he gets aggressive about it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I saw those a couple of years ago. Goes against everything I was ever taught. Wouldn't use one, couldn't bring myself to.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
See those all the time at trap shoots.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yotehntr
I was walking through the walmart sporting goods area today when I saw this, I had to take a pic of it, couldn't believe it... (pic below). When I was growing up my dad told me not to point my gun anywhere I didn't want to shoot.... This is actually a product.
[Linked Image]
I still have two...... used 'em all the time at trap/skeet ranges... A very handy item, that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
us cool kids wear them at the 5-stand

They make a chin strap mounted one for kurt cobain fans.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those have been around for a long time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to rest the muzzle of my trap O/U on the concrete pad. crazy

There is absolutely nothing unsafe about it with the action broken open. For the really good shooters a little rest between shots in a long session can be the difference between shooting 24 and 25.

And it looks cool. Would probably get a kid kicked out of school if the libs ever figured out what it was.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use them all the time for trap, skeet and sporting clays. I would guess that most of you know that the only time the receiver on your gun is closed is when you are on the firing line and it is your turn to shoot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Threads like this happen regularly and are amusing to read. I wonder how they carry a gun from place of purchase to their home and then to any place else as at some point the gun WILL be pointed at something the handler doesn't mean to shoot. It is a good practice to keep in mind but as with all rules there are exceptions. With a little thought an open, unloaded gun can be one of them.

In reality, it tends to show who spends some time in organized shooting and who doesn't. One can probably use it to determine who is familiar with break open guns and who isn't though I have seen more than one pump or semiauto user rest their barrel on their toe. More often they have rested the gun butt on the ground so maybe that Curt Cobain model would of interest to them.

Those toe rests have been around for well over half a century. I have a Gun Digest or similar catalog from the late sixties with an article parodying a typical trap shooter of the day. The cartoon accompanying the article has the "hero" wearing a shoe tab so they are definitely not a new idea. If one looks at pictures of trap, skeet, and live bird shooters going back over a century, one will see a number of the shooters resting their gun muzzles on their shoes. I have several pairs of shoes that have neat, round circles on the tops as I don't use a shoe barrel rest.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I like to rest the muzzle of my trap O/U on the concrete pad. crazy

There is absolutely nothing unsafe about it with the action broken open. For the really good shooters a little rest between shots in a long session can be the difference between shooting 24 and 25.

Not only for 'rest', but for series of movement to generate timing.. One of the best female trapshooters in our area was a marvel of timing and repetition.. I swear, there's not a car-makers robot on the line that has better sequence of action than she.. IIRC she was won the state championship in her day (circa mid-70s)..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
OP Offline
Well I"ll be.... Have to admit I've never been to a trap shoot. (still doesn't seem to safe) Live and learn! LOL

Last edited by Yotehntr; 10/14/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.