Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gentleman ,

I recently acquired an Oehler 35P chrony complete and in fantastic , like new condition plus lots of extra parts for indoor shooting NIB !

The previous owner gave up high power competition and sold it to me very reasonably . It's only drawback if you want to call it that is the set up . It only takes about 5 minutes but you need to secure the firing line and get out in front for a few minutes to set up the screens . I'm told it's a good chronograph and readings are right on , I don't know but it has to be better than my Shooting Chrony .

I'm wondering if the new LabRadar is a better unit . I'd like to hear from shooters that have both or one or the other . Let me know what you folks think .

Thank you in advance for your time ad consideration .

Good Shooting ,
Soup

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used the 35P for at least twenty-five years and the LabRadar since early this year. The only advantage I've seen for the LabRadar over the Oehler is quick setup. Both are goods units.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've also used a M35 since the early 90's--the M35 is the gold standard. I use my LabRadar more because of its easy setup.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by lotech
I've used the 35P for at least twenty-five years and the LabRadar since early this year. The only advantage I've seen for the LabRadar over the Oehler is quick setup. Both are goods units.

15 yrs on the 35P and one year for Labradar for me, the easy of setup, transportation, and technology makes the Labradar a winner but the 35P is a fine unit.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Oh man...you just can’t imagine how much easier and quicker the Labradar is! I fell in love with mine the first time I took it to the range. Set up on the bench, aim it at the target, turn on and get to shooting. It’s that easy. Now beforehand you will need to enter various parameters in the Labradar, such as distance to the rifle (right beside it, a foot away, etc), distances you wish to have velocity read, etc....read the owners manual to do this...it’s a snap. I’ll never use another chrono.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have had my LabRadar for about 2.5 years. I would buy it again. Custom support is excellent.
Duane

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used an Oehler 33 since the mid 80's. I can't imagine setting one up at a public range. My last place I had stands permanently set up for the skyscreens so setup consisted of placing the skyscreens and plugging everything in. Trying to get them set at a public range would be a PIA unless you have an accommodating range master.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Bump

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm tempted to buy a Labradar. I own an Oehler 35p and it's never let me down; never failed to read a shot. I'll admit that setup/alignment can be tedious at times - that's where the Labradar comes in. However, the more and more I read about the Labradar, it appears that it can be as finicky about setup as any other chrono, i.e. distance from the muzzle, location in relation to the muzzle, etc.

I shoot on private property, and am generally the only soul shooting at any given time. Thus setting up the Oehler is not an issue as I can adjust placement/alignment until my heart is content and not have to worry about others. The short-coming of the Oehler is bulk, and not being able to feed data directly into a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Everything has to be transcribed. The Labradar on the other hand seems to be a 'quick and dirty' setup and the data can be electronically passed to a smart device.

Labradars are on sale now thru Dec 6th or 9th for $499. Wondering weather I should take the plunge?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the 35P. Where I shoot going cold is not an issue for setup. I have some spare parts for the day I need them. That's less of an issue with Labradar as well.

The Oehler factory portable setup doesn't work in the wind. Even the printer paper blows around and needs a wind screen. I like a setup that is a nuisance to store and no fun to transport but sets up quickly and shrugs off the wind. Basically sawhorse brackets with a long drilled board

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I always set my Oehler 35P with a couple of sand bags I made from jeans legs 40+ years ago.
Most tripods have a central hook you can at a stabilizing weight to, but I find it easier to flop a sandbag over each end of the screen rack and it works fine in the winds I will shoot.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by WiFowler
I'm tempted to buy a Labradar. I own an Oehler 35p and it's never let me down; never failed to read a shot. I'll admit that setup/alignment can be tedious at times - that's where the Labradar comes in. However, the more and more I read about the Labradar, it appears that it can be as finicky about setup as any other chrono, i.e. distance from the muzzle, location in relation to the muzzle, etc.

Labradars are on sale now thru Dec 6th or 9th for $499. Wondering weather I should take the plunge?

The first two times out with the LabRadar and it would miss 4 out of 5 shots. I was getting pizzed. The third time instead of setting it up at the bench, I was out in the sage shooting from prone and mounted the unit on the accessory base plate. The first two times from the bench and using the tripod, the muzzle was at the bottom of the unit and would not trigger or sometimes fail to read the shot. The third time when shooting from prone the muzzle was about at the mid point of the unit and it worked fine.

The instructions show where to place the muzzle but like a dummy I figured it should not make a difference--but it did........duh.
I also ran it simultaneously with my M35, and adjusting the Oehler for distance from the muzzle most shots were within single digits of one another, only 2-3 shots as much as 30 fps difference. So I trust the LabRadar.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've had several chronographs but have been using a 35P for at least the last 10yrs. While the LabRadar offers a unique level of convenience, the cost just doesn't justify the change-over, yet. :>)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I have a co-workers Labradar in hand and gonna give it a test this afternoon. Will probably set up the Oehler as well to run some comparisons.

FWIW, at this point I have to agree with Charlie-NY - the Labradar offers a level of convenience, the cost just doesn't justify the change-over. Maybe this afternoon's test drive will change my mind.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
WiFowler,

I'm looking forward to your hands on results .
I'd like to know what the weather and temperature was and weather you found it or any other factor effecting performance of either unit .

Have a nice Thanksgiving .

Soup

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
We use the Labradar at work and it does a great job but, how are you guys getting yours to read 17 and 20 caliber rounds?

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
WiFowler , ,

I think you have an entire flock of us waiting for your reviews . $ 500.00 fish isn't easy come easy go to most fellows any more .
BUT you know how it is , sell this and that , invest a few bucks ...... I'm waiting for your notes

Happy Thanksgiving to all .

Soup

Last edited by Soup; 11/22/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK. So I took both the Labradar and the Oehler out for a comparison.

Weather was a cool 28*F, with a 5-8 mph N wind. Sky was slightly overcast. As per usual, the Oehler performed flawlessly. Set up took the usual amount of time - cold fingers aside. For test purposes i was shooting a Christensen Ridgeline 280AAI, with factory Hornady 162gr ELD-X. 5 shot average was 2916fps, with an ES of 17 across the Oehler with the chrono 10ft (measured) from the muzzle.

Set the Labradar up. Piece of cake - albeit it I had done ALL of the preliminary set up (programming) in the comfort of home. Labradar was set 6" from the barrel, with the muzzle about 6" forward of the unit (because of the muzzle brake). Unit triggered without fail. Using the same gun and same ammo, the Labradar registered a mean velocity of 28995fps across 5 shots. Labradar measured the ES at 22. Best I can tell the velocities and ES were measured at 22ft using the Labradar. Still not sure on the setup/output reading of the Labradar as far as the distance from the muzzle is concerned. A little more time behind the unit and in the manual would probably bring this subject more to light.

In summary, both units performed as one would expect. I'm well accustom to the setup of the Oehler - it's second nature, and my comfort level is extremely high. Had I not taken the time, indoors, to run thru the setup of the Labradar, I might have had frost-bitten fingers. While the manual made it sound simple, I'm not totally convinced. Bottom-line, and because I shoot on a private range, I'm gonna stick with the Oehler, and spend the many pennies that the Labradar costs on some other gun loonie "toy."

YMMV

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
WiFowler
Thank you for a great hands on review . It was very considerate of you to write up a report
What I’m getting is you must do some pre range work prior to getting to the range with the Lab . which time wise ends the same as the 35 P
I’m keeping my 5 fi$h.

Thank you once again . Good shooting and successful hunting.

Semper Fi
Soup

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soup,

You are correct. There is some setup involved with Labradar. However, I believe that once done, and done once, setup would be as simple as mounting it on a tripod or the table mount, aim and align it and shoot.

That said, I'm keeping my Oehler as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.