-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have decided to go with a LCD Projection TV probably 36-42inch. Now which brand would you recommend. All tips will be great. Thanks HAPPY HUNTING

Last edited by ruger243223; 03/11/07.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Take a look at the vizio brand. They offer some real nice specs for the $$$. I have a 37" LCD flat screen that is superb.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out avsforum.com.

We just bought a Tsohiba DLP 62" from tiger direct a couple months ago. I checked out consumer reports, which this month I think or last had a hdtv issue. Then I checked out the above forum. Lots of info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What price range are you comfortable in? I think that in a 37-42" size range you would want a flat panel LCD vs a Projection style. I bought a 37" LCD Flat Panel last week for $799, I don't think you will find projection styles for much less and the flat panels give you some more mounting options.
IMHO the SXRD and DLP's start to shine in the larger 56-62" size sets.
Keep an eye on the different resolution levels. 1080P sets are more expensive and you may not find it worth the extra cost to have the capability at this moment. Other people might want to go ahead and plan for the future and get a full 1080P set. I can't really tell a whole lot of difference in 1080i and 1080p. I have sets that will play both including a Blu-Ray disk player.
If you are going for best bang for the buck go for something like a Vizio that will support up to 1080i and get a up-converting DVD player. An upconverting DVD player will convert your regualar DVD's and play them at up to 1080i and at only $70 or so they are the best bargain in Hi-Def TV stuff.
Oh, be sure and get a TV with at least 2 HDMI slots. Sam's carries 6ft HDMI cables for about $22, some places charge up to $100 for the same cables so don't pay more than you have to.
If you are thinking about a gaming system for the Kids the X-box 360 has more and better games out for them than the Playstation 3 currently does........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Sony SXRD is the oly wiegh to go right now. Full 1080P 6.2 millon pixels the way to go today. I design and sell Eletronics for a living and have seen them all, Sony has the best period. DK

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other, for you freedom.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 42" LCD Hitachi hasn't missed a beat in two years. Love it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I think that in a 37-42" size range you would want a flat panel LCD vs a Projection style.
+1....Sony,Samsung both make excellent TV's.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
the X-box 360 has more and better games out for them than the Playstation 3 currently does........................DJ
I disagree,there are MORE games for X-box,but as to better PS3 has Resistance Fall of Man and aint none better than that one.PS3 is also a Blue Ray disc player,Blue Ray will be and already is starting to be the format of the future.JMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with projections screens is that the lamp burns out and it costs a lot to replace. LCD flat screen is the best choice over plasma. Just what I've been told by my brother who is sitting at home without his large projection screen working because he doesn't like the cost of replacing the burned out lamp.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're probably all made in the same factory in China anyway. Does it matter? Get the one with the features you want that has a good picture. I saw a 32" Magnavox LCD with built-in DVD for $799 at Sam's the other day. It looked mighty nice. I used to didn't like the built-ins. Anymore I think they are just one less thing to run cords to and fool with hooking up. If there was one with built-in DVD and VCR it would be mighty tempting to me.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
32" Magnavox LCD with built-in DVD for $799 at Sam's the other day.
Not a very good choice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
George, "Resistance, Fall of Man" is a good game but have you also played "Gears of War" for the X-box? Both are very good games but "Gears of War" has received consistantly higher ratings from most of the computer game reviewers. I actually have both a PS-3 and an X-box 360. My kids play the X-box 360 all afternoon long and I use the X-box for Blu-Ray movies in my room.
The Blu-Ray movies cost from $20-$30 each vs $10-$20 each for regular DVD's which an Upconverting DVD player will play in 1080i. I have a hard time telling a whole lot of difference between 1080i and 1080p so I don't know if most folks will find the extra cost worth the difference at this time.
Blu-Ray and HD disks are just like the OLD Beta vs VHS wars of years past. It might be a good idea to wait and see which one wins out before spending too much on expensive players and disks. I think until the dust settles a lot of people will be pretty happy with $10 disks on a $70 upconverting player until the $700 players using $30 disks sorts themselves out, especially if it's hard to tell the difference between them.
I have 3 HD TV's. My favorite is a Sony 60" A2000 SXRD projection TV. It's big but looks great and has more adjustments than the comparable Samsung. I bought a 61" Samsung and it broke the first night I used it. Samsung offered to fix it in-house but I just took it back and traded it for the Sony 60" and was glad I did.
I also have a 42" Sharp Aquos that's a good 42" 1080P set. But for the money (less than 1/2 as much) my 37" Vizio was a better deal. It was only $799 at Sam's. A 42' VIZIO was just about 1/2 what the Sharp was though the Vizio's only do 1080i not 1080p. For 1/2 price look at both to see if you think 1080p is worth it.

BTW, I think it's a bad idea to buy built in DVD's etc. with TV's. With all the changing standards etc. you don't want to get stuck with old technology that's built in to your TV. Plus if it breaks it probably will cost more to fix than to just add a new one in the first place. Buy them separately and you can get the best of each, buy them together and you are stuck with what you get................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the Sonys are made in Mexico so maybe buy one and keep a mexican home. Course they are probably made with parts shipped in from China. Isn't the one brand to stay away from Phillips as they die the day the warranty runs out. In the years past Sony was the only way to go though and they out last the warranty by a long ways.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do some homework on this & you can easily save, or waste, 3 or 400 hundred bucks. Prices are shockingly volatile. Finally bought one 2 weeks ago, after reading & re-reading the Consumers Guide, visiting 4 different stores & surfing the web.
Prices moved around a lot within the 2 week period that we screwed around with this project.
Started with no opinion, or preference for, brand or technology. We ended up with a Panasonic 600 series 42" Plasma.
Good luck!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TVs are not really durable goods in that they will wear out. Well, I guess they really are but I don't expect them to last forever and I don't like to put too much money into them. We have roughly 6 TVs in our house. All are Made in Japan and not typically very expensive.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just bought a 56" Samsung DLP today - got Best Buy to come almost $600 off the price they had on the TV ($2199 vs $1619). I just took in a print-out from a place on the 'net that had it at that price shipped. This particular Samsung was one of Consumer Reports "Quick Picks", as were other Samsung's in the same line.

Also, I almost never buy extended warranties, but I did on this as 4yrs was only $350 and includes 1 lamp replacement, 1 cleaning/tune-up, etc. Basically, I got the TV, a stand, and the warranty for just about what the TV advertises for at Best Buy and Circuit City.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JVC's DLP projection LCD's have the best picture I've seen.

Some of the Samsungs and Mitsibishis have also been outstanding as well.

MM

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Throw a brick through the TV that you have and don't buy another.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We bought the Sony Bravia 40" LCD and really like it. The sound is a step above anything else I've heard with the 2X20watt amplifier and great little speakers. The picture is typcal Sony excellence. Highly recommended. I paid $1,999 at Thanksgiving. I've sure they've gone down a couple a hundred dollars since then. I'd still buy it for 2 G's. It's that good!

Warm trails and blue skies!
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
check out vann's onlnine, I bought a sony 46" projection tv last fall. they have them on sale for about 1300.00 right now.
also they offer free shipping and no tax. I have had three purchases with zero problems so fsr.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (163bc, 1lesfox, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.