Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If the 642 is too light, and is thus challenging for her to deal with recoil, you might consider getting an all steel revolver, and perhaps switch to a six shooter for one extra round, like the new re-introduction of the Colt Cobra. Also, target wadcutters will cut way down on recoil, and are said to be pretty effective for self-defense due to flat meplat.

As of now she has no problem with the recoil.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Buy her another 38

That is definitely an Idea that I would personally do to carry 2 revolvers (one in each pocket) but I doubt I could get her to carry 2 Revolvers in her purse.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Buy her another 38

What I was thinking.

Let her us practice with speed strips as well and carry a few of them in her purse.

I also got her some speed strips and a speed loader and showed her how to use both of them.
She does not carry them and i doubt she even knows where they are !

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by RJM
One suggestion on the 642...have the trigger return spring replaced with a 12-13# Wolf. I would not mess with the main spring to make sure ignition stays reliable but I have replaced the trigger return spring in all my Smiths with 13s and it makes a big difference.

Also...buy mom some life size photo bad guy targets and instead of "target" shooting on paper plates teach her how to just put a round on target asap from handshaking distance out to 15'.

I'll add maybe get some laser grips and sight it in. Knowing how to use the sights is important but at close range in a high stress situation the laser sights are a plus.

i just taught her to aim over the top of the revolver with the front of the barrel in her peripheral vision.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
^^^^^^^^^

While self defense guns have went from revolvers to semi'so over the last few decades,
there are good reasons that revolvers are commonly recommended for those who aren't gun enthusiasts.

Talk to a gun shop owner about people who screw up the unloading of a semi.
Revolvers are simple, and 5 rounds of 38 in not exactly unarmed.

The pistol will never be unloaded,yes 5 rounds of 38 is definitely not unarmed.

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RJM
..my suggestion is...leave well enough alone....

Better to have five rounds you know that are going to go off rather than an 80 year old who will now have to learn FTF clearance drills...to gain what 2-3 rounds...

By the time her 5-shot is empty there will either be bodies on the ground or people beating feet to get away from her...

Bob

Originally Posted by bcraig
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I kinda agree with RJM if she is happy with what she has. But, I really like the Shield .380 EZ. It is a single action with a grip safety and can be had with or without a thumb safety. (We have the one without the thumb safety to keep it simple.) It is really easy to load, really easy to shoot, and allows rapid follow up shots. Most of the people I see who are able to hit a paper plate with 5 shots at 10 feet using a small revolver take forever to do it, which is great if a bad guy just stands there and takes it. For the bad guy(s) who charges, it will be over quick. The EZ is not like shooting a .22, but it is pretty mild. The longer barrel gives really good velocities approaching advertised specs (Federal Hydra Shoks, 974 fps, Critical Defense, 994 fps, Gold Dots, 1059 fps (above advertised spec)!). The only thing I would suggest is to do the leg work and vet it for the end user in case there are any issues. (Some have reported the gun ejecting a live round along with an empty. We have not had that issue.)

If I get her another handgun I want it to have a double action only pull that would be a lot like the revolver she has now.
she can do the 5 shots in about 10 seconds.

I got on youtube and there were several instances where the last round failed to chamber.

I was wanting to increase the number of rounds available to her BUT the suto problems are there for sure.
I suppose I could search and see if a double action only 8 shot revolver in a stouter caliber than a 22 rimfire is available.
That would seem to be a great option.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am wanting to buy my Mom another handgun for self defense.

She has a concealed carry license and Currently carries a S&W 642 38Special loaded with Hornady 135 grain Ammo.
At 10 ft she can stay on a paper plate for 5 shots.
Pretty good for an 80 year old lady

She carries it in a holster in her purse ,I know not the ideal but that is where she is going to carry it..

I am wanting to get her a pistol that carries more rounds in case of multiple threats.

I am thinking about a DAO 380 or 9mm that holds 10 plus rounds with a long double action pull similar to the Revolver she currently carries,with no safety to fumble with.
Preferably something that she could pull the slide back on .Of course reliability is a must.

I would appreciate Information on pistols that will meet those criteria for her,preferably first hand experience.

She is going to carry it in her purse so get her a model 10 or 64. They are much easier to shoot well than a J frame and concealment won't be a problem. If she has multiple threats that don't flee after the first one is hit then, sorry to say it, she's going down regardless of her firearm choice.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Youper

I am wanting to buy my Mom another handgun for self defense.

She has a concealed carry license and Currently carries a S&W 642 38Special loaded with Hornady 135 grain Ammo.
At 10 ft she can stay on a paper plate for 5 shots.
Pretty good for an 80 year old lady

She carries it in a holster in her purse ,I know not the ideal but that is where she is going to carry it..

I am wanting to get her a pistol that carries more rounds in case of multiple threats.

I am thinking about a DAO 380 or 9mm that holds 10 plus rounds with a long double action pull similar to the Revolver she currently carries,with no safety to fumble with.
Preferably something that she could pull the slide back on .Of course reliability is a must.

I would appreciate Information on pistols that will meet those criteria for her,preferably first hand experience.

She is going to carry it in her purse so get her a model 10 or 64. They are much easier to shoot well than a J frame and concealment won't be a problem. If she has multiple threats that don't flee after the first one is hit then, sorry to say it, she's going down regardless of her firearm choice.

Like I said she has no problem shooting the 642,she has no problem with concealment.
I do not believe that in all circumstances with multiple threats that do not flee after the first hit on one that the outcome is decided .
I am sure there are cases that have indeed turned out that way but I am sure that there are plenty of circumstances that turned out much better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said she can keep her rounds on a plate at 10'. That doesn't qualify as no problem shooting the 642. I'd like to see her keep those shots on a plate at 10 yds.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
You said she can keep her rounds on a plate at 10'. That doesn't qualify as no problem shooting the 642. I'd like to see her keep those shots on a plate at 10 yds.

Well not to be contrary but that is your opinion and not my opinion as I feel like at her age and level of training and interest in any further training she is doing quite well,Remember we are talking about an 80 year old Lady not Jerry Miculek .

Regardless I asked for input regarding a Higher capacity Double Action only Autoloader with a trigger pull to approximate the revolver she has now.
I would appreciate your input on this Question.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LCR 22LR (8 shots) would be a good alternative to a 5 shot J frame.
It's a good "orthopedic" handgun.

Last edited by night_owl; 10/11/18.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just trying to help. I have no point to prove.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Just trying to help. I have no point to prove.

Thank you for your help

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by night_owl
LCR 22LR (8 shots) would be a good alternative to a 5 shot J frame.
It's a good "orthopedic" handgun.

Although a 22 is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I would prefer a larger caliber

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Nifty pistol ,but interested in Double Action Only with no safety

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If you must have one with those specs, how about a Glock 19 with a New York (10 pound) Trigger? That comes close to simulating a double action only trigger from the safety perspective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Craig, I would suggest a Kahr, all steel, 9mm. They come in multiple sizes from sub compact up to full size and a couple in between. The all steel allows for better recoil management. They have an excellent DAO trigger and no safety.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Craig, I would suggest a Kahr, all steel, 9mm. They come in multiple sizes from sub compact up to full size and a couple in between. The all steel allows for better recoil management. They have an excellent DAO trigger and no safety.

I thought about that, too, but he said it had to have at least a 10 round mag capacity.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you want a semi-auto you need to take her to the shop to see if she can run the slide. What is easy for a guy may be impossible for an 80 year old lady.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 2UP, 160user, 28 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,594
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.