-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the Schnee's beartooth insulated (200g) or noninsulated...most comfortable boots I own (also have meindels and danners)

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been happy with Lowa Tibet’s nongortex leather lined for a long time now- but hey are being resoled now and aren’t available. I have about 50 miles on the Alico summit I think is the model. It’s the one with leather lining. Anyway 50 miles with 35 lbs over mixed terrain and they feel great. I’ve got medium width and my feet feel nicely locked in without being crushed across the top or smashed up in the toe box. Construction looks first rate. Less than 200$ at my door and seem to be a bargain

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Tomorrow I'm leaving for a week of backpacking after elk on Afognak Island (north of Kodiak Island in Alaska). I'll be using extra tuffs. We will probably hike 60 miles or so and it will often be very boggy and wet. We are constantly crossing small streams and rivers. In past years people on the hunt who used leather or goretex hiking boots always ended up with wet feet. And worse yet those wet boots often freeze at night. Give me xtra tuffs every time! There really is no substitute.

And I will add that earlier this summer I used xtra tuffs on a successful walk in sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. They worked great and we had to carry the sheep and all our camping gear 15 miles to get back to the car.

Patrick

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pgsalton
Tomorrow I'm leaving for a week of backpacking after elk on Afognak Island (north of Kodiak Island in Alaska). I'll be using extra tuffs. We will probably hike 60 miles or so and it will often be very boggy and wet. We are constantly crossing small streams and rivers. In past years people on the hunt who used leather or goretex hiking boots always ended up with wet feet. And worse yet those wet boots often freeze at night. Give me xtra tuffs every time! There really is no substitute.

And I will add that earlier this summer I used xtra tuffs on a successful walk in sheep hunt in the Alaska Range. They worked great and we had to carry the sheep and all our camping gear 15 miles to get back to the car.

Patrick

60 miles in extra tuffs??? You are way tuffer than me. f that laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been wearing a pair of vasque erriksons all summer, probably have more than 100 miles most of which carrying at least 40 pounds and up to 70 on my back while training. They have been flawless , perfectly dry and the seams and stitching are as new. They wear good, offer good support and the traction is great. Favorite pair of boots, I did add softer insoles for a little more comfort with heavy loads, I recommend them.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a pair of Miendls from Cabelas. They are the Alaskan Hunter with 200gr insulate. Best boots I've ever owned. Great support and just warm enough. Together with Obenaufs leather protector they are completely waterproof too. Highly recommend.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by aheider
Originally Posted by pgsalton

Patrick

60 miles in extra tuffs??? You are way tuffer than me. f that laugh

'Waterproof' boots that leak after 2 weeks of use, dinking around trying to find a dry way around the bog or stream - f that! Get a pair of xtra tuffs that are on the tight side and put a pair of super feet insoles in them and there is no hardship whatsoever. Patrick

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

ZAMBERLAN
1013 LEOPARD GTX most comfortable well built boots I’ve owned

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lagerboy
I have a pair of Miendls from Cabelas. They are the Alaskan Hunter with 200gr insulate. Best boots I've ever owned. Great support and just warm enough. Together with Obenaufs leather protector they are completely waterproof too. Highly recommend.

Bearing in mind that everyone has their favorites, and all are different, I had a pair of those Cabela Meindl Alaskan Hunters that I had researched extensively and thought would be great. At my age, they fit all right, but were way too stiff and heavy for me.

For years, I used a pair of Russell bird shooters with SnoSeal waterproofing and got along just fine in all conditions. I still have them after 40 years. In recent years those have gotten very expensive.

I just got a pair of Wiggy's 10" Lamilite boots that are quite lightweight and have no waterproof barrier to keep perspiration from dissipating. (According to many, those barriers wear out in a year or so anyway.) They seem lighter than other hunting boots I have tried, even those for double the price. (I paid $210 shipped.)

Claimed by many users to be the warmest boots on the market. Thick, soft, flexible leather with wide toe caps and Vibram soles. I haven't put them to use yet but they are so comfortable that I do not expect any break-in issues.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's some good advice in this thread. The most important thing is fit (assuming similar quality). I own Kenetrek Hardscrabble, Danner Crater Rims, Lowa Tibet (insulated and not), Irish Setter Elk Trackers (very heavily insulated), Zamberlan Hunter Pro 1005, Schnee's Beartooth Insulated, Schnee's Beartooth Mid (uninsulated), Hanwag Abisko and others. I am a bit of a gear nut if you can't tell. Anyway, I think the best quality boots are the ones made in the USA or in Europe. I have never had a bad boot that was made in Germany or Italy. The 11" Zamberlan Guides (model 980) get great reviews and I would give them a serious look. They retail for about $400 but you can get them for less if you look around online. Also, Schnee has some really good sales.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I’ve been happy with Lowa Tibet’s nongortex leather lined for a long time now- but hey are being resoled now and aren’t available. I have about 50 miles on the Alico summit I think is the model. It’s the one with leather lining. Anyway 50 miles with 35 lbs over mixed terrain and they feel great. I’ve got medium width and my feet feel nicely locked in without being crushed across the top or smashed up in the toe box. Construction looks first rate. Less than 200$ at my door and seem to be a bargain

I have a couple pairs of those Alico Summits too. I got them from Sierra Trading Post. They are heavy and a little wide for me to get maximum support but the leather lining is really nice. I use them as my all purpose boot when I am at camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by setch
Check out the Schnee's beartooth insulated (200g) or noninsulated...most comfortable boots I own (also have meindels and danners)

These look like a great boot. Check them out! I also use their pac boots.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

These look like a great boot. Check them out! I also use their pac boots.

I really like the Beartooths. I have the 9" 200 gram insulated version. Very comfortable and light, stiff enough to carry heavy packs.

I have also worn or still periodically wear Scarpa Triolets (great boots for early season), Schnee's Granite 10" insulated (very stiff, good for carrying packs), Schnees' Hunter II Pac Boots (awesome snow boots! Not for packing), Lowa Tibets, and a couple styles of Danner military specific boots.

I have never worn a boot that after a week to ten days of every day wear hiking/carrying heavy packs in snow and cold that I'm not tired of wearing. I don't think that boot exists. That's why I change my boots around.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Joel: How do you like those Schnee pac boots? I have an old pair of Sorel Dominators (Canada made) that I use for stand hunting in snowy conditions but I am interested in getting something lighter/less bulky. I am torn between the Schnee's and Kenetrek.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Theeck
Joel: How do you like those Schnee pac boots? I have an old pair of Sorel Dominators (Canada made) that I use for stand hunting in snowy conditions but I am interested in getting something lighter/less bulky. I am torn between the Schnee's and Kenetrek.

I really like the Schnees pac boots! I have the Hunter IIs. They are great for warm, quiet, and light, good snow stalking boots. When it's colder than 10 F or so I don't usually stay in one place longer than about an hour or two before I'm cold enough to move, but it's not usually my feet in the pac boots that get cold first. And active/moving my feet are never cold with the pac boots on, at least down to -20 F or so. When it's below 0 I'm not usually messing around outside longer than necessary. I put an additional thinsulate insole in the boot under the thinsulate liner and it seems to make them a touch even warmer.

I liked my Hunter IIs enough I got a pair of velcro close short pacs for around town when it's cold.

As for Schnees vs Kenetrek, both make great boots. I like Schnees customer service and I've been a customer of theirs for a while. I've never had any Kenetrek boots. I have buddies with Kenetrek Mountain boots and no Schnees and they like their Kenetreks a lot too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve tried at least 6 different brands. Kenetrek makes the best boots money can buy, just be sure you store them inside year-round. They are an investment, but so worth it!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
After my comments earlier I still stick by the xtra tuffs. They did great on my recent Afognak island elk hunt. We backpacked 35 miles and carried out 2 elk. Xtra Tuffs did great!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
Hands down the best boots I've ever owned. I wore out one pair and just bought a 2nd. My old pair never leaked and I got 5 years out of them. They are lightweight, yet very supportive. I've not worn insulated boots in years and often hunt in the teens and occasionally single digits.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Ques...LL&preST=_SX395_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you look around you can beat that price. I'm thinking about $230 at REI and Cabelas had some under $200 a while back. I paid $119 through Sierra Trading post for my current pair.

Used the same boot on my elk hunt this year. Great, great boot. Sole is just stiff enough so no rock bruises without being too stiff to give when it needs to.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Been wearing Danners for a decade, brought some Schnees BT's and am loving them. Had them out Chukar hunting yesterday. Will have them on an elk wilderness hunt this time next week. You really get to know your boots chukar hunting. Side hilling on some steep as schitt rock slides will let you know what is what pretty damn quick.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I’m in the market for a pair of boots for elk hunting. Thy would have to be non insulated or lightly insulated. They should be high enough that I can wear them with gaiters yet cool enough that I can wear them between 20 and 65 degrees. I would like to spend between 1 and 3 hundred on the boots.

Leigh’s weight glove recommendations are always welcome.

Boots are as personal as it gets, but he sure to try on some Solomon.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 69 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,536
Posts18,491,357
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.