Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
You're gonna get hooked on it.

It was a lot of fun. They have actual tournaments there each month and they change the course the day prior to the tournament which I thought was pretty cool.

My dumb ass asked him if most guys use a bag to carry their 100 shells or do they just put them all in their bird vest. He just kinda stared at me and said "You put them in the golf cart. I'm going to drive you to each stand."

Whooops. Grin...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by battue
He would usually be referred to as the trapper. But Cody will probably be best.

Battue! You came up out on the range!

He tells me "target number two is going to be a battue." I said, "WTF is a battue?" LMAO.

Poor 'flave.

"battue
[ba-too, -tyoo; French ba-ty]

Hunting .
the beating or driving of game from cover toward a stationary hunter.
a hunt or hunting party using this method of securing game."

Or. "A nasty curling sporting clay target" grin

Addition: You don't have to use a cart. One can walk the course if they want.

Last edited by battue; 10/26/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, that was an awful showing but I actually had a lot of fun. I had two spots reserved but my son told me he ain't paying $40 to shoot fake birds. He's such an ass hole. Next time I'll invite Local Dirt.

[Linked Image]
I've seen a lot worse for a first-timer... $75 (total) for 100 birds - eek

Small wonder I gave up sport shooting a dozen years ago.. It ain't cheap no 'mo.... Glad you had a good time, Flave... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We have courses here were the cost of 100 is $22.00. Other places that if you shoot there frequently they discount their normal rate. Others you prepay for targets and the rate goes to the low to middle $20 range.

The course Flave shot had a minimum of 28 traps, and probably more, at $3,500 to $4000 per trap. Then add buildings and all the other costs and a SC range quickly becomes a big investment. Guy I know just started up a new course. Including land, permits and all the above he presently is right around $1,200,000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good shooting IMO for 100 clays with a light 20 first time out. You'd have probably been 5 to 10 better with a 12. $38 is a good deal if it included the cart and not bad if it didn't.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
[Linked Image]

Took the wife to try out her new shotgun this morning. Judging by the busted Clay's and big grins I do believe the birds are in trouble next month.....

Last edited by ZKight89; 10/26/18.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Good shooting IMO for 100 clays with a light 20 first time out. You'd have probably been 5 to 10 better with a 12. $38 is a good deal if it included the cart and not bad if it didn't.

Agreed that is a good first time score.

Why do you think he would hit 5-10 more with a 12? I personally have never seen a difference between 28, 20 and 12 in my scores, though a .410 will take 10-15 targets off for me. These days I usually shoot a 30" 28 gauge for sporting. What's nice about the smaller gauge is people always say how much better I would shoot with a 12 and how good of a shot I must be to keep up with 12s shooting a 28. I say nothing and nod and smile knowing for me it makes no difference other than a little less recoil.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In Flaves particular case, not sure we can quantify what the difference would be. However in the long run there would be one. You may not have seen a difference, but when the big boys and girls play for keeps, they don’t use LW 28gauges. There is a difference, and if there wasn’t, they would be shooting the 28 for recoil. Nor would it be a LW one.

Addition: if you would ask most of the top guns why they use 1 1/8 ounce, the answer would be because the rules say they can’t use 1 1/2.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda like the LR guys sqawking about .550 BC vs .575. Doesn't really matter for a guy with a 200 yard max range. But I digress.

Anywho....

Speaking of 28's, I'd love an A400 Xplor. Damnation, made the mistake of shouldering one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The A400 Xplor 28 is about as good as it gets in a semi 28ga. Then again, I recently saw a friends Urgartecha 28ga SxS. He paid about the same as one would for an Xpolar.

IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Redneck

Small wonder I gave up sport shooting a dozen years ago.. It ain't cheap no 'mo.... Glad you had a good time, Flave... smile

Beats golf!

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

I've always valued light guns but I can see where the heavier ones would be likable out there.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
The A400 Xplor 28 is about as good as it gets in a semi 28ga. Then again, I recently saw a friends Urgartecha 28ga SxS. He paid about the same as one would for an Xpolar.

What do one of those run? I saw a beautiful Benelli in 28ga the other day and all I could think was 'WTF you gonna do with this thing in FLORIDA?'

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
$1300-1400 for the Beretta.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Schit that ain't bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shotgun money goes further than rifle money and nobody minds wood.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That is not a bad score, I have seen much worse on courses such as this which do not cater exclusively to league duffers. Markham has a very nice facility and seem to give a typical competition level difficulty to their course which will help shooters improve their abilities rather than egos. I especially like that they offer 14 stations for a 100 bird course instead of 10 stations as many others do. With 10 targets to a station it is too reminiscent of skeet for my taste. I shot a couple tournaments there but don't remember if it was the Seminole Cup, Rhino Cup, or some other. They tend to blur together after a few years.

I believe being hauled around by a trapper with a cart is mandatory to prevent conflicts with others due to it being part of the county park. There are always some yahoos that cannot obey course rules which can lead to problems. With having to share the area with non-shooters, problems could disasterous for the range.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In Flaves particular case, not sure we can quantify what the difference would be. However in the long run there would be one. You may not have seen a difference, but when the big boys and girls play for keeps, they don’t use LW 28gauges. There is a difference, and if there wasn’t, they would be shooting the 28 for recoil. Nor would it be a LW one.

Addition: if you would ask most of the top guns why they use 1 1/8 ounce, the answer would be because the rules say they can’t use 1 1/2.

You are most likely correct and for full disclosure, I tend to use heavier guns for sporting also. I am not good enough nor seriously enough to consistently shoot in the 90s, but have shot with a few who do, and from memory, they all were shooting 12 ga sporting guns with 1 1/8 charges of shot, so you are probably correct. I personally shoot better with 1oz 2 3/4 dram in my 30" Beretta 391 Sporting in that the reduced recoil helps me over the course of a round or two and I do about the same with my not super light 30" Beretta O/U two barrel set Sporting gun ( 682 I think, but can't remember), though only when the 28 ga barrels are installed. In my experience, a little additional weight if balanced well helps me as does a little longer barrel and lower recoil loads do, too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree completely and those who consistently shoot in the 90's, on a serious course, play the game on an obviously different level. I use 1oz for 99.%+, but if I absolutely had to break a target I would make the effort with 1 1/8oz.

That being said, those same top guns put together impressive scores on a serious Fitasc course using mandated 1oz loads. Most times they are hot, but still 1oz.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
That is not a bad score, I have seen much worse on courses such as this which do not cater exclusively to league duffers. Markham has a very nice facility and seem to give a typical competition level difficulty to their course which will help shooters improve their abilities rather than egos. I especially like that they offer 14 stations for a 100 bird course instead of 10 stations as many others do. With 10 targets to a station it is too reminiscent of skeet for my taste. I shot a couple tournaments there but don't remember if it was the Seminole Cup, Rhino Cup, or some other. They tend to blur together after a few years.

I believe being hauled around by a trapper with a cart is mandatory to prevent conflicts with others due to it being part of the county park. There are always some yahoos that cannot obey course rules which can lead to problems. With having to share the area with non-shooters, problems could disasterous for the range.

If you're ever down here give me a shout. Markham is only about 15 minutes away from where I'm renting.

The cart driver told me shooters used to walk from stage to stage and that the cart was just for hauling guns and ammo but at some point that changed. He said he wasn't sure why.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.