Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ZKight89
[Linked Image]

Took the wife to try out her new shotgun this morning. Judging by the busted Clay's and big grins I do believe the birds are in trouble next month.....

You married up.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I definitely way out kicked the coverage...... Took her to a shop that touted having 4,500 guns in stock recommended a 20 gauge and she picked that 870 after handling six or eight that caught her eye. Broke more than half with it and even hit a couple high incoming shots that I missed. 100 Clay's and the case of Wally World economy bird busters ran us about $75.

Last edited by ZKight89; 10/28/18.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Some places have practice nights, they are a great way to get better, you had a couple bad stations where you had problems, on practice night you can shoot as many rounds as you want at any chosen station, so you pass on the easy ones and shoot 8-10 rounds at the problem stations until you get them figured out, after a couple weeks your overall score will improve a bunch.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
http://floridaclays.com/content.aspx?enc=D7DTTC+ZMo0631I70OwagpvVroRZPs8fkiCRcr7e0vg=

Being a county shooting facility, Markham may be different, but have yet to shoot a course one can't walk the course if they choose. Carry your shells or use a clays push cart. Some you may not want to because of time or distance. Many save the money when a cart is not included in the shooting fee. Cart rentals can go from $10 to $25 for practice rounds and usually more for tournaments. However, a group shooting together can split the cart cost.

Florida has some great courses and winter is their prime time. Then there is the South Florida Shooting Club which is one of the nicest courses in the U.S. Four different courses for all skill levels. Private club, but they hold registered tournaments that are open to NSCA members. Worth a visit, if one goes to a shoot or knows a member. Quail Creek is another nice club and open to the public.

To climb the SC ladder, it is best one learns to embrace failure while learning the tricks.

Addition: As Jimy mentioned, when practicing there is no rule one must shoot every station. If it is a target you have little trouble with, you can skip that station and move on to another.

Addition 2: At most of our courses around here, if you are shooting with another you don't need a trapper. You are given a card which counts targets and you pull-launch the clay-for each other.

Last edited by battue; 10/28/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if it is allowed, the next time you go, try 7/8 oz of 6's. the will reach out and get the long ones. my s c gun is a verona 702 o/u with 30 inch barrels and briley extended chokes. improved modify and light full. 7 1/2 for the close ones and 6's for the long ones and report pairs.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most courses have a 7.5 shot size max. All tournaments are 7.5 shot size max, and courses and station positions are designed to give a shot fall cushion. 6's may take it over the line since they will carry further. Before one used 6's or larger, it would be wise to check with management.

Get caught using 6's in a tournament and you will be DQ'd.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
7.5's took him to 90 yards. He didn't need 5's until he was at 100yards.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Digweed, Damn!

Last edited by 43Shooter; 10/28/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up north, I was a gameshooter, Killers, Suzies, and Bluebirds mostly. We started at the 27 yard line and usually ended up at the 45, My 20 with 1 oz of 6's was my preferred load and I won my share of cash doing it. Down here, the shooters seem to live on the 16 yard line. Thats for children and sissies! Ha Ha.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
You guys are a buncha fancy pants.

How the hell is that guy shooting clays at that range? Is he lobbing the shot down in the bird as it climbs?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High BC long range shot, range finder, hand loads, lots of windshield....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
You guys are a buncha fancy pants.

How the hell is that guy shooting clays at that range? Is he lobbing the shot down in the bird as it climbs?

Well, for sure he isn’t shooting underneath. 👍
He mentions the how of it at the end. Notice how little he moves the gun.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I couldn't understand WTF he was saying.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

That appears to be George Digweed. He's from Britain and is probably the best shotgunner in the world
d

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That was "King" George Digweed. He is a fantastic shooter though a little rough around the edges personality-wise. A good shooter moves the gun a minimal amount, before he calls for the bird he knows where he wants to pick up sight of the bird, where wants to break the bird, and where he has to insert the gun in the bird's travels to make that happen. In other words, the shooter has removed all unnecessary movement so all that is left is what is needed to break the bird. Another way to look at things is: there more movement the more variables are introduced and the more likely on pe will miss. It looks like the shooter is shooting quickly too but reality is the shooter has no extra movements so it only looks fast.

Ive watched George consistently shoot crossing chondelles at 100 yards with a mix of 7.5 and 8 shot. He broke 3-4 targets for every one he missed, and he only fired once per clay. That was an eye opener as I wouldn't believe one could break targets that far out with such small shot, even those showing a lot of face. After seeing that I had a lot more confidence in whatever load I got stuck with as I realized a target that didn't break was more likely my fault than the shell.

It looked like the trap was throwing an out going bird and, if so, the breaks are happening further out than what he stepped off. It is also a more difficult break as less target is seen and the hardest parts are absorbing the hits. If it is a springing teal type presentation the target could be a little further or even a little closer than what was stepped off depending on the angle of the throw. It is also an easier target to break as more area is available to be hit and the full dome and especially the face is easier to break.

I suspect George gave himself a little edge initially by using the old time Gamebore FITASC/pigeon load of an ounce and a quarter of nickel plated shot going 1350-1400 fps. They were nicknamed "rhino rollers" and for several seasons 10 round samples boxes were given out at shoots that offered FITASC. Loads like these were used by teams like the French and Belgians and I suspect the reason they seemed to fade out in multi-day shoots. Those Gamebores were the hardest kicking loads I shot but they were the best long range prairie grouse or pheasant loads if limited to 7.5 that I found.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree on the technical points. However, Fiocchi had/has the "Rhino" designation with their White Rhino and Little Rhino shell.

Last edited by battue; 10/29/18.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Many of the turkey shoots around here in the day (a few still exist) had clay targets that we would break at 90 yds for a win.. The Maiden Rock shoot was one. First 3 shots were at 16 yds.. Those who qualified (tied) would have a shoot-off.. The max distance allowed back of the trap house was 44 yards - and that's exactly where they went.. By the time the shooter touched one off that bird was at least 75 yards down range.. But on the 'Annie' shoots, many times #4 shooter would break one on the way down at 90+ yards.. I used #7 shot for the long-range birds..

I miss those. Haven't shot one in over a decade..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Annie’s are still big in Pa. One friend shoots them every Wednesday night.

From the video, they were using targets with a pack of colored powder tapped to the underside. Although that one looked like tannerite. Crack the clay and the pack is torn, which releases the colored powder. Makes a weak break-which you most frequently will get at 90+-easily visible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too miss the games down here. It seems that nobody wants to take a chance at getting knocked out after one shot. My favorite was a "killer" at 35 yards. We would mix it up to include a "pullers Option" that is where the puller sends a target out anytime after the first shooter shoulders the gun. You really have to be on the ball because the puller can send a target out right away or wait up to ten seconds.
"Blue Birds" are fun too. At 19 yards, three guns up. First shooter calls for a bird, hits it and second shooter shoots at the pieces, third shooter shoots at whats left. If he hits a piece, he knocks the other to out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Free for all at 5 stand is like a dove hunt, just start launching birds and see who hits what.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 50 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.