-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Eighteen years ago one afternoon I was running on my treadmill. I was running up to a 7-minute miles then when my wife and daughter came downstairs with some news that startled me. My split-second pause was enough for me to be hurled back with my right foot hitting the wall immediately behind me, punching through the sheet rock.

There was an other-worldly feeling about my foot as I began taking my shoe off. My right big toe was sticking out at a right-angle from my foot and it’s mates. My young daughter went to the ground gagging as I hobbled over to my reloading bench.

“Honey, grab and pull on it straight as hard as you can this first time because I’m not sure I’ll give you a second chance.” She did.

I recognized it as a complete dislocation rather than a fracture but it’s never been the same ending up about 75% thicker than it’s opposite. I couldn’t run on it for the better part of a year.

Toes and fingers have that special ability to remind you of their significance by that exalted throbbing pain they produce.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I broke the big toe on my right foot twice (kicking someone). After a couple days it isn't too bad.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s been 4 weeks this coming Tuesday. It’s a little better, not blue like it was but aches if I walk very much. This was the day after. I have ugly feet, bunions too.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got hit with a field hockey stick in high school P.E. class. Never did anything about it. Hurt for awhile.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
About 3 months. Fairly bad for 3 weeks.

i forgot all about mine, tho, when the she-bear came at me. Probably a bit of relapse there. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Broke my left big toe in elk camp last year. Small cabin that had a room added, there was a step and we were supposed to leave the kitchen light on so we could see it. I got up in the middle of the night to take a piss and the light was off, I kicked that step pretty hard. Toe hurt for months because of all the bird hunting I did afterwards.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t want to hear about no damn “ months” it’s been almost a month now, damn thing hurts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Dess
Had an ingrown nail on my big toe. Thought I'd be a tough guy and let it heal on its own.

Stubbed it in the middle of the night. Cried like a baby.

Saw a podiatrist the next day. He numbed it up and removed the entire nail. Felt great after it healed.

Good luck to you...get the help you need.
how many days after removal were you laid up if any? I got the same condition now. I wonder if i can hold off through deer season

Last time I had an ingrown I thought I was gonna die. I couldn't believe how it felt. Like a red hot needle jammed under my toenail every time I took a step. Had a podiatrist dig it out and it was a nasty looking thing. I think I had the next day off and went back to work after that.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JOG
I inherited a second toe that's longer than my big toe, meaning I have dislocated that SOB numerous times pushing off, most recently landing awkward in a pool. Once dislocated the toe doesn't lift properly and I snag it on rugs, steps, the dog, everything under the sun, dislocating it again...and again. It make me nauseous.

I have the same affliction. I got that ugly sumbitch caught between a rock and a footpeg in a rock garden in the desert. It looked like ET's finger. I swear it popped since there was a jagged tear on the bottom of my toe.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Grandma always said that ......"it's a long ways from the heart, sonny boy".......then grandpa chimes right in with ......"you'll feel better when it's done hurtin"

They was pretty much right you know.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B3

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I must be part Afro-American. It’s about to kill me. Of course I’m not sitting still.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dropped a chunk of redoak on my left big piggie last yr loading the Heatmor. Got the ole black toe thing still a little left from last November.

Now I got some ingrown BS on the opposite. Hurts like hell when I get in the shower or hot tub.

Hell when i was a youngin damn near cut my big toe off running down the boat ramp in Savanna Ga. Sliced that mofo good on oysters growing edge of the ramp. Daddy wrapped it up and we still went fishing in the marsh. Somebitch throbbed for several days. Nasty marsh water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Week before high school graduation buddy had a scraper blade fall on his toes and POP yes POP (like a balloon) his big toe and break 3 others. He was DETERMINED to walk for graduation so took a handfull of pain pills and held back tears to walk for graduation. Gave his Mom his crutches and powered through. I still give him props all these years later.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dropped a chunk of redoak on my left big piggie last yr loading the Heatmor. Got the ole black toe thing still a little left from last November.

Now I got some ingrown BS on the opposite. Hurts like hell when I get in the shower or hot tub.

Get it checked out. Letting it fester didn't work for me. Hell, at least get a pedicure....gotta look good getting in and out of the hot tub. smile

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I went to doctor that repaired my broken ankle, toe is broken, but feeling a bit better.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I broke big toes on both feet in a Karate fight. This was 34 years ago. My opponent was a 25 year old recently discharged Marine. I was a 48 year old CPA. We fought to a draw. I think he won, though. In addition to my broken toes, I could hardly move for the next week. He was bouncing around like a spring chicken. Never again did I give up 23 years to an opponent in a karate fight. I taped my toes together and hobbled around for what seemed like forever.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
funny story. I had a hammerhead toe on my left foot [middle toe] it hurt when I walked. one day I was saddling my horse when she stepped on my foot. something popped and had a dull pain for a second, took my shoe off and checked my foot, the hammerhead toe had straightened out and was painfree, it remains that way to this day . that was 30 years ago. I thanked my sweet horse for fixing my toe..

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
About 30 yers ago I broke my right big toe in 5 places, yeah thats right 5 places the doctor at the hospital showed me the xray. I did something really stupid but it involved watching KungFu on TV, being really drunk and a metal storm door. All they did was tape it to my next toe, like splint and told to stay off it. Hurt like heck. It was a couple weeks before I could go back to work. I was a mailman so it hurt every day anyway. Broke my left big toe about 2 years ago. Another stupid move. It was winter and I needed some wood for the wood stove. I didn't even put on any slippers or flip flops. I swung the axe at a big chunk of wood hopping to split it in half. I don't know what happened but that big chunk flew straight up in the air and landed squarely on my big toe. It didn't hurt that bad at first because all my toes were frozen from being outside, but when it warmed up the real pain set in. Never went to the doctor for it. I was retired to so I didn't have to deal with work. But it started to turn like a purple black color and really swelled up, I could see there was fluid buildup under the nail. I took a small drill bit and used my fingers to drill a hole in it; after going thru the pus and blood squirted out It eventually healed after I lost the nail. I now wear boots going out to the porch for wood!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,801
Posts18,516,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.