Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not the size of the tomahawk,

It's the way it's used?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just a heads-up: I called Joe at RMR to ask if they had any 140-grain 7mm Partitions laying around. They didn’t have many but did have some. There are a couple hundred left, and the 8% discount applies. I’ve used a lot of RMR’s pulled bullets and have never had an issue. Get ‘em while you can.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nosler Partitions I have always liked using this bullet in my 257 Weatherby Mag this bullet has been accurate on game and I have never had to look for a deer,elk,caribou or antelope while using a Nosler Partition bullet either. I also plan on using a Nosler Partition bullets next year in my 7 mag when I go to Alaska for moose. my favorite 2 bullets for hunting are either a Nosler Partition or Swift-a-frames that`s all I ever use now.i even use 60 grain Nosler Partitions in my 220 Swift for coyotes smacks them real good and does not wreck the hide ,I may even shoot a deer with this 60 grain Partition bullet this year ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete,

What twist is the barrel on your .220 Swift? The reason I ask is my experience is sometimes spotty accuracy in the classic 1-14, but much better in faster twists from 1-8 to even 1-12 in various cartridges from .223 Remington to .223 WSSM and .22/6mm Remington.

Heard way back when the 60 Partition was introduced that it was designed around the 1-12 twist of most .223 Remingtons back then, which would make sense.

Have used it on animals as small as prairie dogs (in a 1-12 twist .22 High Power Savage 99) and as large as deer with great results--except for the spotty accuracy in 1-14 twist .220's and .22-250's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my new 220 swift is 1-12 twist in my new Ruger #1 ,that I had Greg build for me 26 inch barrel, I plan on using 60 GR. Nosler Partitons for coyotes and maybe even deer ? 220 swift is sighted in using H414 for now, shoots 3 shot groups are 3/4 groups. once its cold after the deer seasons, I plan on trying some maybe cold weather powder so case is very full for good ignition once its cold.after about 20 shots I did put a rag thru the barrel with wipe - out bore cleaner no brush,that will be the last time I clean this rifle tell spring some time . Berger`s book say`s 1-12 twist is best for 60 grain bullets so that`s what I used ,right or wrong ? I did

Last edited by pete53; 10/14/18.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Not the most accurate bullet in my shop but.......

Never accurate for me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Never accurate for me.

Define never accurate. Will they give you 2 MOA? If they will, that's a minute of moose at 300 yards.

A 2" group at 100, provided it's centered, means no shot is more than 1" from point of aim. Thats the width of my thumb. And it's more accuracy than I can use most of the time.

I've got a Remington LTR in .308 that will clover leaf from the bench. But as soon as I get off the bench it doesn't equate to anything practical or useable when shooting from a field position. A rifle that will clover leaf off the bench is fun but it doesn't usually mean much because most people can't shoot up to it's capability in the field. Then it might as well be a minute of moose.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

Mike:

The most major point missing, is the ability for a 2300 fps reduced load to group tight enough, to allow for an accurate shot at the outer end of a 2300 fps load’s range, 275 yrds. (1811 fps), at deer sized game you mentioned you will be hunting.

Could you explain what you mean by them not grouping accurately enough on the lower end? I've been loading some 175s on the low end - between 2100 and 2300 fps - and they group sub-moa, so I'm not sure I'm following.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
3/4 of a inch is good enough on running coyotes in my swift, the most important thing is don`t ruin the coyote hide ! its worth money to us. worried about accuracy ? then shoot a different rifle I have plenty bench rifles that shoot 2`s -3`s all day long. this 220 swift is fast and was built to kill things and save the hide with a small bullet hole that`s why I use 60 gr. Partitions ,when shooting at running coyotes you need a fast rifle that shoots flat ,when that coyote breaks across a field you have no ideal how far or close this coyote is ,your lucky if you even have a tree or a car door to lean on ,so you take the shot quickly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WyomingTerritory
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Never accurate for me.

Define never accurate. Will they give you 2 MOA?

The best I’ve gotten from them is 1.5 MOA. That is unacceptable to me.

Go ahead, let me have it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK.

I expect to get sub-inch 3-shot groups with Partitions, and have in dozens of rifles chambered for cartridges from the .243 Winchester to .375 H&H.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
OK.

I expect to get sub-inch 3-shot groups with Partitions, and have in dozens of rifles chambered for cartridges from the .243 Winchester to .375 H&H.

Same/same, as to the thread title, I thought that way back in the late 80's to early 90's, shot deer with 180 and 200gr partitions from 300 mags, hmm, they died quick, went on an elk hunt with my FN Safari 375 H&H and 300 gr partitions, didn't get an elk of my own, but assisted on putting one down a bud had hit earlier, knocked that bull all googley legged as he headed for the bottom of the canyon, he didn't make it, a day later I got my mule deer buck with the 300 gr partitions, 40 yards broadside straight lung hit, hmmm, again, it ran 20 yards and nose dived in the pine needles. smile

Big, little, near or far, the partitions simply work.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would guess that someone who contends that they have never experienced accurate loads with Partitions has:
little experience or,
has issues with their loading techniques or,
simply has never really used them.
In ~50 years of reloading, my experience has shown Partitions and Sierras to be easy to find accurate combinations in a wide variety of calibers and rifles.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I would guess that someone who contends that they have never experienced accurate loads with Partitions has:
little experience or,
has issues with their loading techniques or,
simply has never really used them.
In ~50 years of reloading, my experience has shown Partitions and Sierras to be easy to find accurate combinations in a wide variety of calibers and rifles.

Well, I'm here to tell you that absolutes (except death and taxes) are wrong. I've had several instances where NPs just don;t shoot accurately in several calibers and rifles. As to Sierras, never used them...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my first 257 Weatherby mag was built by Jerry Siminson back in the late 80`s on a Remington 700,i used a Lilja barrel and that rifle at 100 yards shot 1/2 inch at 100 yards with 100 grain Nosler Partitions at 3800 fps. yes those cartridges were hot but that Partition still shot well and at 600 yards I could keep them in a 4-5 inch group with a bi-pod laying down,i did use a 20 power scope and at a measured 625 yards I killed a real nice buck antelope on the first shot with a 100 grain Nosler Partition. nobody is ever going to tell me that old Nosler Partition is not accurate enough for hunting, matter fact I have a stash of a couple thousand just in case, next year I will be making my first trip to Alaska for moose and my handloads will all be loaded with Nosler Partition bullets , my reason is I can always trust that Partition bullet to get the job done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Some rifles don't seem to like some bullets. I'm big fan of Partitions, almost all my rifles have a Partition load I've developed for them, but have a 243 that I cannot find a load that will shoot 100 gr NPt's--H4350, H4831, RL-26, IMR-7797, WW or Hornady brass, WW or Fed primers, no combination has produced anything less than 2" groups. But it shoots 95 gr NBT's great. Go figure..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my experience has shown Partitions and Sierras to be easy to find accurate combinations in a wide variety of calibers and rifles.

I've seen this mentioned a few times through the years, mostly by MD. Are you guys using Game Kings or Pro Hunters to match up with the Partitions?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Teeder
my experience has shown Partitions and Sierras to be easy to find accurate combinations in a wide variety of calibers and rifles.

I've seen this mentioned a few times through the years, mostly by MD. Are you guys using Game Kings or Pro Hunters to match up with the Partitions?

Interestingly, Game Kings have provided same POI (or at least close) out to 400 yds in some cases. In one instance though, POI was the same at 100 yds, but longer ranges it began to diverge a fair bit.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Teeder,

I've used both, though probably more GameKings than ProHunters. Some rifles just don't like boattails much, so in those I often try ProHunters--or flat-based Hornady Interlocks.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I was assuming the Pro-hunters would be closest, but there are a lot more GK varieties.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.